Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Display cases and plinths  (Read 1180 times)

Krakow Sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Display cases and plinths
« on: February 28, 2008, 05:54:00 pm »

Ok, so your dwarfs can make great crafts, but what use do they have other than as a trade good. The wearing of jewellry hasn't been implemented yet, and even then theres no way to wear that gold-filigree'd large opal you made. So my idea is that the dwarfs could build a plinth (from rock, wood or metal) or a display case (from clear or crystal glass) on which anything made in the craftsdwarf's workshop or jeweller's workshop could be placed.

The display case/plinth would have a small amount of value in its own right and would add the value of the craft to whatever room it was in (as well as being the defining object for a room, called something like museum/treasure room.

That way your fortess could contain a museum of its own history, including crafts made at various times and the weapons of goblins slain in sieges. Or your  temple to Armok could be complete with an altar holding a masterfully crafted bloodstone encrusted with black bronze images.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Display cases and plinths
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 06:09:00 pm »

I like it, a museum could also give slow training in the craft skills, and possibly knowledge skills if they're implemented, plus adding another meeting area.
Shoes...

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 06:11:00 pm »

If there were furniture shops (and i hope to Toady there will be) these are the peices of furniture it'd sell.
... Then, a dwarf with furniture hauling would drag it to the owners room and put it where the owner wants it in their room, at which point the room owner puts all their ☼«☼Pure Awsome☼»☼ items on/in it.    :D

Also, "(Artifact) Libraries" and dedicated "Treasury" rooms.

Anything related to dwarves and the display /ownership capabilities of their possessions is pure awsome, plain and simple.

quote:
Originally posted by Krakow Sam:
Or your  temple to Armok could be complete with an altar holding a masterfully crafted bloodstone encrusted with black bronze images.
No...
"On the display case is a «Goblin Skull Totem». On it is an image of a dwarf and a goblin. The goblin is making a plaintif jesture. The dwarf is striking down the goblin."

SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE.
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

[ February 28, 2008: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 06:19:00 pm »

Been suggested by others, me included.  I hope it is implemented at some point, as the possibilities are endless.

The option to display heads (or arms or legs or chunks) on menacing spikes would be fun, too.

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 06:20:00 pm »

I like this idea for a completely ridiculous and unlikely to happen reason. I imagine a retired war hero hearing of a dangerous titan outside and there are none left to defend the fort. He rushes to the museum to break his faithful epic mace out of its case. It was put there because of the many times it had saved the fort prior. Then the hero goes out and thrashes said titan with the mighty artifact.
As I said, unlikely to occur, but still think its cool.
I also like the idea of a jewel thief going for your museum or a dwarf child becoming enraptured by a fallen legend's mythical sword and spending all day staring at it daydreaming. I realize this is all pretty far off if it'll even ever happen. Except the jewel thief one. That'd happen as soon as there was a museum option.
The open way's too dangerous / Listen close they're watching us
One more time you're losing us / Hold still they're shooting us
First wave down / I wonder when they're coming back
First wave intact
-Secret Machines- First Wave Intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 06:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by viskaslietuvai:
<STRONG>I  a retired war hero hearing of a dangerous titan outside and there are none left to defend the fort. He rushes to the museum to break his faithful epic mace out of its case. It was put there because of the many times it had saved the fort prior. Then the hero goes out and thrashes said titan with the mighty artifact.</STRONG>

Ooooh, sounds like a power goal!

Speeeedy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 02:50:00 am »

I love this idea.  Maybe it could also make noble demands make more sense.  If they request an item made of gold then you put a gold item on display in their room or office.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 03:12:00 am »

I like it.  I like it a lot.

Display cases have got my vote.  If only they had come before the ill-fated museum fortress a while back...