Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Noble overflow error. Please reinstall aristocracy and reboot.  (Read 10219 times)

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had a mini tantrum spiral resulting from my efforts to save FPS by culling my fort's children with Dwarf Companion. It didn't cause much damage, but my duke was killed by an angry potash maker. Finding this undesirable - as I'm trying to create a perfect fort, worthy of the title mountainhome - I used Dwarf Comapnion to resurrect him. A few seasons later: The duke Edem Febushil has arrived.

EDIT: A few seconds after I took that screenshot, a second Duchess consort showed up as well.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:08:07 am by Heliomance »

Daki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noble overflow error. Please reinstall aristocracy and reboot.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 10:28:01 am »

There's only one thing you can do:stage a Duke fight to the death!
Or a similar test by the "gods" i.e. random lever pulling.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 10:42:59 am »

Yes, you must let them "duke it out" so to speak.
I'll get my coat.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 10:58:12 am »

See if either of them have combat skills. If one does, rename him to Nukem and let the other one play with a very pretty lever hooked up to some shiny iron or glass spikes.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 01:16:21 pm »

I don't know if I would call a place where children are systematically culled the 'perfect' fortress.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 01:26:28 pm »

Duke Nukem?

:D
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 01:41:26 pm »

I don't know if I would call a place where children are systematically culled the 'perfect' fortress.

I don't know if I would call a place where someone uses Dwarf Companion to cheat the 'perfect' fortress.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 01:51:05 pm »

But that's practically the definition!
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 02:33:32 pm »

If you want to ENSURE your Duke has combat skills, set up one (maybe two) cages with goblin thieves or wrestlers in a small room with a lever, and set the lever to unleash the goblins and seal the door (or lock it yourself).  If they have some decent stats from social skills, they should wreck the goblins (after some running around; nobles don't like getting into fights) and get some wrestling skill.  No armor or actual weapon skills, but hey, training a noble up to legendary wrestling can lead to some Fun tantrums.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 03:35:57 pm »

Just how many dukes are *supposed* to show up at a fort, anyways?

Because seriously, I have three ???
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

SinisterMinisterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 03:38:02 pm »

How did you get three? I thought only one at a time was possible. (Without Dwarf Companion, obviously.)

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 03:56:37 pm »

Duke Nukem?
Don't do this. He'll be there forever and won't do anythin--...
wait, that's what they always do.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 04:59:23 pm »

Duke Nukem?
Don't do this. He'll be there forever and won't do anythin--...
wait, that's what they always do.

I thought the joke was that they would never show up?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 05:00:21 pm »

I don't know if I would call a place where someone uses Dwarf Companion to cheat the 'perfect' fortress.
It's more using Dwarf Companion to fix the cock-up I made in not changing the fortress birth limit. Seriously, I had like 70 kids of various ages. My FPS was through the floor.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 08:26:19 pm »

I had two duke consorts at one point in my fort. The previous duchess had thrown herself under the magma forges in a fit of depression over the quality of her chair or some other bullshit, her husband was briefly upset, and then immediately shot up to ecstatic for no apparent reason.

I think he hated her.

He hung around for nearly 2 years until he finally went mad around the same time as the new duke/ducheess did.

This fort is a deathtrap for nobles. My queen LOVES her rooms and has been perfectly fine, but I'm on my 6th duke/duchess combo.
Pages: [1] 2 3