Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 15354 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2010, 12:27:29 am »

That's... fucking retarded.  It's not okay for a pedestrian to walk around in traffic because they're squishy.  It's not okay for cyclists to ride on the sidewalk because their flimsy aluminum frame makes them slightly less squishy than the other squishy humans on the sidewalk.  But it's not just okay but required that a squishy human with a little flimsy piece of aluminum ride around on the road with multi-ton steel blocks traveling twice the cyclist's speed.

How can you think this is a good system?  People on sidewalks might get bruised if a bicycle hits them, so the bicycles have to be in the road?

Well, I was just looking up the UK laws on cycling, and the reason why bicylists have to go by road is that the bicycle is defined as a carriage. Therefor it has to use the road, not the pavement. I don't think its a bad system, but paths would be a very very silly idea for cyclists to use frequently. All kinds of shit happens on them, people suddenly walking out of doors, coming round corners and stuff and hitting cyclists.

All laws are basically a system of the-strong-shall-bend-to-the-weak. Hench the rights of way, it goes pedestrians, cyclists, motorcars. Its not perfect, but it works.

And having a bicycle fly into you is neither fun nor will it just bruise you. Theres so much stuff that drivers (and pedestrians) are really unaware of when it comes to watching out for cyclists. One of my all time fears while cycling is when I'm going downhill in a built up area with a lot of parked cars parallel with the street, on many occasion I've seen people pull open the door and I've narrowly missed smashing through the door windows.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2010, 12:32:06 am »

Well, I was just looking up the UK laws on cycling, and the reason why bicylists have to go by road is that the bicycle is defined as a carriage. Therefor it has to use the road, not the pavement. I don't think its a bad system, but paths would be a very very silly idea for cyclists to use frequently. All kinds of shit happens on them, people suddenly walking out of doors, coming round corners and stuff and hitting cyclists.

All laws are basically a system of the-strong-shall-bend-to-the-weak. Hench the rights of way, it goes pedestrians, cyclists, motorcars. Its not perfect, but it works.

And having a bicycle fly into you is neither fun nor will it just bruise you. Theres so much stuff that drivers (and pedestrians) are really unaware of when it comes to watching out for cyclists. One of my all time fears while cycling is when I'm going downhill in a built up area with a lot of parked cars parallel with the street, on many occasion I've seen people pull open the door and I've narrowly missed smashing through the door windows.

Ah yes, Britain. Where the pavement is a foot from your house and your house is an inch from the ones beside it.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2010, 12:35:13 am »

Ah yes, Britain. Where the pavement is a foot from your house and your house is an inch from the ones beside it.

Huh?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2010, 12:35:34 am »

But that's not what's happening here at all.  You, a bicycle, a non-motorized squishy human on a flimsy piece of aluminum, is supposed to act like and keep up with cars.  That's not the strong bowing to the weak, it's the weak (you) expected to match the capabilities of the strong (cars), which can't even see you anyway.

You keep harping on the dangers of pedestrian/cycle accidents, but surely you recognize that getting hit by a car is worse.  If I rode a bicycle, I'd protest for the right to use sidewalks, and not be force to contend with the dangers in the street.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:37:14 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2010, 12:38:06 am »

Huh?

From what I saw of the housing in London, if you bike on the pavement you will be blindsided.

Country, however, no excuse.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2010, 12:50:19 am »

You, a bicycle, a non-motorized squishy human on a flimsy piece of aluminum, is supposed to act like and keep up with cars.
I never read the memo that bikes were suppoesed to match cars speeds and act like one. Infact, I'd complain a lot if they were advertised like that. I get tops 17mph on my bike with no wind. Its too fast for going on a pavement, and when there are others to consider impossible to do anything but push your bike.

It might help to explain that (not sure if american towns/cities do this) city councils in the UK are currently trying to promote bikes as alternative for innercity travel. Theres been a serious increase in the number of cycle lanes. We also have "Green ways" which are the pavement side road lanes that are now restricted to taxi's, buses and bicycles so it ellivates the problem of drivers complaining.

My issue with this system is that its not 100% coverage of roads, how could it be? But this is an example of one of the more interesting roads to cycle up and down.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2010, 01:23:19 am »

Whenever i look at, *ahem*, questionable material i think about how people i know would react if they saw me with it.

Its all ruined, and its pissing me off.

AND I CANT STOP.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 01:28:31 am by Realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2010, 01:34:53 am »

Okay... anyone who works fast food can relate to this.

Me: "Sir, what can I get you to drink?"
Customer: "Yes, please."
Me: "Um, sir, I asked what you want to..."
Customer: "I said yes, please."
Me: "Sir, you misunderstand. I'm asking what you would..."
Customer: "And I said yes."

[Later...]

Customer: "Hey, why didn't you give me a drink?"
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2010, 03:28:08 am »

Cyclists who ride really really slow on the main road and refuse to pull over and let you pass.

Yeah, great, you're getting your exercise.  Yeah, I see your lean muscle tone, Lance.  Now get out of my way.  I realize I don't own the road, but that doesn't mean you do, now have some courtesy.
With Bike Week down here, instead of regular pedal-bikes, they're mostly Harleys and Superbikes and a bunch of people being jackasses with them. At least, the posers are jackasses, the true regulars are actually half-decent people who actually follow the speed limit and tip their providers/servers. Of all the visitors or locals, the true regulars that attend Bike Week are actually the most decent people that hang around (which is funny, because it subverts most of the negative tropes about them; or at least, we don't have Hell's Angels visit us.). Plus, back in my days of working at restaurants/taverns, they have been a great source of income.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 03:30:16 am by Itnetlolor »

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2010, 04:16:43 am »

The very act of driving is a pet peeve for me.  There's a million different rules, and should you break one, you may endanger someone's life or you'll get a several hundred dollar ticket.

And apparently the speed limit is actually the speed minimum.

edit: Oh yeah, I also hate Desmond's narration of the opening to Assassin's Creed 2.  "My name is Desmond, and this is my story."
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO, DIE YOU  :o >:( :D ??? ::) :-X :'( >:( THIS IS NOT YOUR STORY ARRRRRRRRRGGHHRABBLEXBSDGFX!!!
Seriously, I would have gotten a metaphorical smack upside the head for that kind of writing when I was in college for my BA in writing.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:24:15 am by Euld »

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2010, 09:51:16 am »

Okay... anyone who works fast food can relate to this.

[Later...]

Customer: "Hey, why didn't you give me a drink?"
Wow. I've yet to meet someone that stupid, and I work in the infamous IT department.

"My name is Desmond, and this is my story."
...Hey, he stole Auron's line!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2010, 10:45:56 am »

Internet Tough Guys.

Just now, some sniper was berating me from changing from heavy to sniper just to kill him, after he dominated me.

I didnt even change class! i got an assist from some sniper guy!

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2010, 11:31:48 am »

[Later...]

This reminds me of when my brother worked at Quiznos. He told me that once a customer got pissed off at him because he did not put something on his sub. Something he didn't even ask for. Getting frustrated at idiots is a family tradition.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2010, 11:35:52 am »

That's nice in England, but here in America everyone owns the road, or at least thinks they do.*  There are a lot of territorial disputes.

Honestly, though, if you're driving a bike that goes 17 miles per hour in front of a guy in a car that goes 100+ miles per hour on a road with a speed limit of 45, it's common courtesy to move out of the way.  The world does not slow down for you and your healthy green commute, and Shakespeare got places he gots to be, son.
Shoes...

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2010, 12:07:06 pm »

That's nice in England, but here in America everyone owns the road, or at least thinks they do.*  There are a lot of territorial disputes.

Honestly, though, if you're driving a bike that goes 17 miles per hour in front of a guy in a car that goes 100+ miles per hour on a road with a speed limit of 45, it's common courtesy to move out of the way.  The world does not slow down for you and your healthy green commute, and Shakespeare got places he gots to be, son.

I've never been nor ever shall be an Englishman. You have offended me to no ends.

I'm not saying bikes have a bigger right on the roads, yes they should move out of the way for faster moving vehicles, its just common courtesy as you said. The problem I'm getting here is that its still a drivers responsibility to be aware of the dangers when there are bikes on the roads. Its a lot more dangerous for bicyclists and therefore people should be more aware of them. And saying that lot of drivers are still extremely neglectful, my dads been hit by idiot drivers on many occasions because they "Didn't see him"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13