Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 15293 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Pet Peeves
« on: March 05, 2010, 09:02:40 am »

I have a few.  Driving is a pet peeve.  To me, driving is an annoying part of the day where you attempt to follow a million different rules while essentially watching 5-6 different TV screens (mirrors and windows), hoping you will somehow prevent a collision.  I'm pretty sure everyone doing the same thing is what keeps us safe.

People making fun of the way I talk is another one.  For some reason, I say "um" or "er" or "let's see" before I start sentences sometimes.  It takes monumental willpower to not do so, and I get unpleasant feelings (best description would be slight pressure in the abdominal area) when I succeed.  People seem to think that if they point it out, it will go away, or they assume I don't know I do it and must be informed as quickly as possible and with as much embarassment as possible.

People who misunderstand something I say, draw a false conclusion, disprove/discredit that conclusion, and use it as grounds to say I'm wrong.  /facepalm

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 10:23:23 am »

Dumbasses who ride their bikes the wrong way into traffic

It's always either a crackhead or a college student, on a shitty mountain bike
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 10:32:57 am »

Dumbasses who ride their bikes the wrong way into traffic.

Yo.

But yeah, my peeve is people who pose rather condescending judgments when it is not needed. Say we are discussing a novel in class and there is a character that has some personal vice, like being too vain. There will ALWAYS be that person at the back of the class that says something to the extent of "Hrm, I can see SOMEbody needs a right 'ol smacking from their momma." And then we discuss the vice, and the same person will give a rant on how their vice is annoying them when they meet that person in real life.
 This heavy judgment is not needed. We are discussing a character.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 11:33:31 am »

Circle tool on GraphicsGale. I have to fix them because they come out more oval than circle.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 12:17:24 pm »

Also, people who ride their bike on the sidewalk. Especially when there is a bike lane available.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 01:37:15 pm »

Also, people who ride their bike on the sidewalk. Especially when there is a bike lane available.

OH MY CHRIST YES
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 02:17:18 pm »

People that comment on "Them big words" that i use.

Seriously, just because it has more than three syllables dosent make it an obscure word!

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 06:30:29 pm »

Seriously, just because it has more than three syllables dosent make it an obscure word!
Ahh the memories, I got called out because well, you know that part of the tree where the trunk divides into branches?  Am I the only one who calls it the "crotch?"  Apparenly one of my writing classes did not like that... especially since the story involved a young boy climbing the tree.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 06:34:23 pm »

Jesus yes. Also, homophobia, which is so rampant in my school.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 06:42:20 pm »

Jesus yes. Also, homophobia, which is so rampant in my school.
Yeah, it's actually hard to defend things like that too, as people automatically assume you are part of that particular group if you try to justify it.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 07:03:47 pm »

Let's see. Idiots. Homophobes. Religious crazies. Doomsday people. Rascism. Sexism. Prejudice. People who think that drugs are good, and harmless and don't cause any problems on their own, only when people try to stop the addict does problems happen, and it is the fault of the guy trying to stop it. Same with alcohol. Or any addiction really. And I'll stop there.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 07:05:08 pm »

People who insist on absolute right and wrong.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 07:08:27 pm »

Rather minor compared to everything here but... Inconsistent internets.

Stop CUTTING OUT dammit.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 07:12:27 pm »

Ceiling fetishists The word "progressive" when used in politics.  Seriously, it has no fucking meaning and is just a way of wasting time during a speech to make it seem like you're saying something.  This also covers any other generic and empty political phrases like "change", "grassroots" and "front line services".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 07:18:56 pm »

Janet, do you have Vista?

Do you get the dreaded HERPADERP LOCAL ACCESS ONLY thing?

That's my pet peeve.

Also 15 year old existentialist/nihilist/communist/xists.  Really, anyone who has strong opinions on something when they're probably not old enough to know what they're talking about.

Like the kid in my high school.  He was in ninth grade, but because one teacher (Who is awesome, by the way, awesome with a side of badass) mentioned that he was a Libertarian.  Technically, he said he was kind of Libertarian.  As in, politically moderate but wary of bureaucracy.  Next day, this kid (We'll call him Hipster, because he was as hipster as a 15 year old with plenty of money can be) comes in and announces he's a libertarian.  Not a reasonable libertarian either.  I also espouse virtues similar to that teacher, but this kid took it all the way.  He basically read the Wikipedia entry on Libertarianism and redefined his worldview to fit it.

The exchange was as such:

Hipster: (Trying to talk over me and drown out my protests) The only thing the Government should be responsible for is protecting its citizens.

Me:  Uhh...  Where will we get roads and pipes and stuff?

Hipster:  Uhh, well...

We didn't have a friendly relationship.
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13