Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: He has complained of the lack of dining tables recently  (Read 4689 times)

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
He has complained of the lack of dining tables recently
« on: March 05, 2010, 04:02:32 am »

I keep seeing this on my dwarves. I have a legendary dining room with plenty of tables and chairs, and I never see anyone using them. But all the dwarves seem to complain that there aren't enough tables. I frequently see people going into my bookkeeper's (as yet unassigned) office and eating on the chair in there, where there is no table, but they won't use the dining room. What's going on?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: He has complained of the lack of dining tables recently
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 04:33:21 am »

Either
a) they can't path to the dinning room
b) the bookkeepers chair is closer

When eating food they path to a chair not a dining table and chair, they will then complain about the lack of table.

If your bookkeepers office is assigned to him they shouldn't be picking it though.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 05:13:41 am »

Either
a) they can't path to the dinning room
b) the bookkeepers chair is closer

When eating food they path to a chair not a dining table and chair, they will then complain about the lack of table.

If your bookkeepers office is assigned to him they shouldn't be picking it though.

They SHOULDN'T but they will anyway because they're stupid. I've had trouble like that myself.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 05:58:06 am »

I frequently see people going into my bookkeeper's (as yet unassigned) office and eating on the chair in there, where there is no table, but they won't use the dining room. What's going on?

Dorfs are stupid and eat on the nearest chair, or their owned one, not the nicest one in the fort.  I always build chairs for offices with a table next to it, just to avoid this situation.  Even if you assign the chair, that dwarf will eat there in preference to the dining hall.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 08:00:54 am »

I've never had a bookkeeper chair without a table in front of it.

Why whould you torture your bookkeper in such way? Does he get stronget by holding the book in one hand while he writes with the other?

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 09:03:46 am »

Why would you torture your bookkeper in such way? Does he get strongest by holding the book in one hand while he writes with the other?

Considering that there's no paper and the book is likely made of stone.....yeah probably.
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 09:20:08 am »

But the main food stockpile is directly above the dining room, and everyone congregates in the dining room when off duty. There are also 2x2 stockpiles of food and booze set to take from the main pile in the corners of the dining room.

As mentioned, the bookkeeper's office isn't assigned to him yet for fear of making the other nobles angry that he has such a good office and they don't. It is currently just the room that will be assigned to him once the nobles' quarters are finished.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 09:21:44 am by Heliomance »

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 10:32:28 am »

Make sure your layout doesn't have more than 1 chair adjacent to a table.

I think what happens there is that a dwarf sits down at one of the chairs, occupying the table in question, then another dwarf sits down at another chair at the table but can't use the table, causing the bad thought.

I ran into this a lot as I used to put 4 chairs around every table.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:34:14 am by random51 »

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 10:45:20 am »

Try freeing the Dining Hall & assigning it from a different table in the opposite corner. Might be some weird artifact caused by your room layout.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 12:32:33 pm »

The pathing in DF is daft.  Dwarves will decide where to go based on their current position.  This is in blatant disregard to what's closest to the first leg of their journey, and also in complete disregard to Z level difficulties.  So take this hypothetical situation: you have a Dwarf who happens to be 2 Z levels above and directly over your bookkeeper's office doing work, and he suddenly decides it's time for lunch.  Since the bookkeeper's chair is technically closest to him, he will literally trudge AAAALL the way to the food stockpile, grab lunch, and then walk AAAALL the way to the bookkeeper's chair to eat, because it was closest overall when he started.

The solution is twofold: one, assign the chair to someone and put a table in front of it that's also assigned to that Dwarf; that way only that Dwarf will be likely to use it (and even if others do, there's still a table there).  Two, make sure your main dining hall only has ONE of the tables designated as a dining room; oddly enough, they'll have enough sense to realize that the rest of the tables and chairs are also part of the dining hall.  Dwarves get VERY confused when they find two dozen dining halls on top of one another, and will often decide that it's simpler to just sit in the stockpile and eat there (or to go eat in the bookkeeper's office).
Sanity is for the weak.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 02:23:52 pm »

Why would you torture your bookkeper in such way? Does he get strongest by holding the book in one hand while he writes with the other?

Considering that there's no paper and the book is likely made of stone.....yeah probably.
Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a valid explanation for how dwarves get stronger while working a desk job.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 02:36:59 pm »

But the main food stockpile is directly above the dining room, and everyone congregates in the dining room when off duty. There are also 2x2 stockpiles of food and booze set to take from the main pile in the corners of the dining room.

As mentioned, the bookkeeper's office isn't assigned to him yet for fear of making the other nobles angry that he has such a good office and they don't. It is currently just the room that will be assigned to him once the nobles' quarters are finished.

Doesn't effin matter.  My dwarves will refuse to eat in the legendary dining room, and instead go down to the depths of my fortress to eat in the dungeons instead of eating where they should, even when it is on the other side of the fortress, the food stockpile IS IN THE DINING ROOM, and I have put traffic zones set to "restricted" all over the dungeons. 

Dwarves are not simply stupid, a stupid dwarf would randomly pick from any available dining room, they go out of their way to make themselves miserable, that is out-and-out pure self-destructive malevolance!  They are masochists!  They WANT to make themselves suffer, just so that they can spite you and your attempts to make them a nice place to live.

That said, the solution is to assign that room to your bookkeeper, get the room a desk, or else eliminate the chair entirely and make the bookkeeping office out of a spare 2x2 bedroom if it really IS nice.  If the nobles are going to whine about how much nicer a meager room is than theirs, it didn't hurt me when my baroness went homeless for 3 months while I set hers up.

Then again, she dined in a legendary jail cell that whole time, so that kept her happy.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Asteranx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 04:22:48 pm »

If your giant dining room is in sunlight (as mine is), and the dwarf is cave adapted (as many of mine are for some reason... despite the previously described dining room), they may be biased against eating there.

Not sure if that's how it works, but that could be one explanation.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 05:02:27 pm »

My fortress is above ground and constructed entirely of solid gold. Yes, all the rooms are that nice.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 10:46:56 pm »

My fortress is above ground and constructed entirely of solid gold. Yes, all the rooms are that nice.

...  I kind of want to see screenies of this.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2