Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Operation **** the World  (Read 2403 times)

SeanTucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Operation **** the World
« on: March 04, 2010, 07:44:55 pm »

I just got an embark location with two magma pipes, an underground lake, and adamantine.

One of the magma pipes is in juuuuuuust the right spot for me to carry out my own Boatmurdered-style Operation: Fuck the World.

However, will this literally fuck the world (as in, keep anything from getting to my fort, forever) or will the magma cool off after a while? If the former, I may end up reconsidering my epic plan and just submerging my trade depot whenever elves show up.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: Operation **** the World
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 07:50:24 pm »

If the map is flat and you flood the entire surface, the magma will not flow off the edge of the map (it's just like that) and will prevent caravans. 

You can, however, wall off the edges to within 5 tiles (the build limit), use raising drawbridges to the edge to preserve a very small entrance, and then flood the rest of the edge to restrict traffic to that portion in a very dwarfy manner.  (Be sure to actually raise the raising drawbridges before you activate the magma pumps!)

EDIT: See Snaketributes for an example of this.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 07:58:43 pm by Shinziril »
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 07:59:43 pm »

For reference, Snaketributes, one of the best examples of magma-controlled map access.

ed- Gah, ninja'd by an edit.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 08:19:45 pm by Retro »

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 08:05:55 pm »

Two magma pipes!?! Save file plz?
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 08:08:18 pm »

It's probably a pipe and a pool. I don't think it's possible to have 2 pipes on the same region tile, unless someone has figured out a way to do that via modding or memory address hacking.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 08:15:10 pm »

Do note: Unless you have a fairly small map, this will positively decimate your framerate.  Liquid flow calculations are very CPU-intensive, especially when you have thousands of tiles being calculated every single tick of the clock.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 08:16:44 pm »

Yeah, my site has a pool and a pipe within close proximity of each other.

As far as I know, it shouldn't be possible. Do both of these start from the bottom level and scale all the way up? If so, then they are pipes. If within a Z-level or 2, then they're pools.

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McPicard has entered a martial trance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 08:33:06 pm »

Magma airlocks sound pretty awesome! Just be sure to make everything that will be doing the air locking is magma-proof...otherwise yay melting mechanisms and flaming test subjects!
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

SeanTucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 08:33:51 pm »

Oh, nevermind, it's a pipe and a very large pool.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 10:41:01 pm »

Do note: Unless you have a fairly small map, this will positively decimate your framerate.  Liquid flow calculations are very CPU-intensive, especially when you have thousands of tiles being calculated every single tick of the clock.

I have been able to run my magma flooding device at 15-20 FPS pretty reliably.

The real killer is the pumping it seems for me. The actual flow once it gets going doesn't seem to hurt the FPS for me, but if the pumps get "dry" the FPS goes to shit, which is really weird.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 11:55:42 pm »

Best of luck to you with flooding the world.  I gave it a try and failed...I emptied the magma pipe, and still couldn't pump fast enough to keep the stuff on the surface from evaporating. :(

KG

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 08:00:00 am »

It's probably a pipe and a pool. I don't think it's possible to have 2 pipes on the same region tile, unless someone has figured out a way to do that via modding or memory address hacking.

It is possible, but extremely rare, there was another case mentioned on the forum a while(Several months ago even?) back, and apparently the game only shows one of them at embark, even if there are more. My memory is a bit fuzzy, and I don't know the rest of what happened in the thread, but I think it may be possible to have a volcano with magma pipe at the same region tile. Technicly they are both magma pipes, but there is a small possibility the game mistakes it for something else.

Not that it really matters, the way we get our magma will change next version anyway, and I won't be surprised if there are several ways of getting (near)infinite magma.

As for the OP's question, which I'm not sure is answered as he intended the question, there are 2 things.

Magma does not drain off the map.
And Magma will only cool off if it's at 1/7 depth, 2/7 will not cool.

From this it can be concluded that if you use just enough magma it is possible to completely wipe the map of live, while allowing the magma to slowly cool. Note you can store magma in an aboveground reservoir while letting the pipe refill. I made a magma flooding device, success is easier at small maps.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 01:24:19 pm »

That's only true if you have many tiles of non-7/7 liquid & even then it depends on what the liquid is doing, where & how often as DF fakes a lot of the calcs when it can (for obvious reasons). A dozen or so murky pools with 6/7 water & 1 7/7 tile each are more likely to impact framerate than untapped magma pipes/pools.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 02:38:39 pm »

For reference, Snaketributes, one of the best examples of magma-controlled map access.

Man, a building destroyer 2 could just ruin your whole day...

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 02:42:59 pm »

Man, a building destroyer 2 could just ruin your whole day...

Building destroyer 2 tagged creatures will destroy bridges that are down, but I don't believe they destroy ones that are raised.

Never tested it myself though, but I'm pretty sure the game treats raised bridges as constructed walls for all intents and purposes.
Pages: [1] 2