Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mega Projects  (Read 533 times)

anubite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mega Projects
« on: March 04, 2010, 07:16:08 pm »

I love making mega projects, but I'm always frustrated by how long they take to make (especially since my FPS goes to crap after I get 100+ dwarves trying to build stuff.)

I've looked through some mods, but I haven't found one that makes making mega projects easier. Are there any mods that allow me to design fortresses without having to use dwarves? Or give the player infinite resources / fast mining / building skills for quick fortress design? I want to really design a number of labyrinths for adventure mode.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Projects
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 07:37:04 pm »

set the raw speed to 1 it make the game seem faster.
,and just take the brackets off any reactions you care to use

i.e.

[REACTION:BITUMINOUS_COAL_TO_COKE]
[NAME:make coke from bituminous coal]
[SMELTER]
REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:COAL_BITUMINOUS
[PRODUCT:100:3:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:COKE]
FUEL

that will make free coke
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

anubite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 07:56:51 pm »

ah, I see

Thanks.

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McPicard has entered a martial trance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 08:00:59 pm »

Yeah, just remove all the reagent and fuel tags from the reaction_standard.txt file, and you can "smelt" stuff for free, no fuel needed. However, [SPEED:1] is not the fastest, [SPEED:0] is.
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 08:22:23 pm »

The block building interface is ridiculously slow, and waiting for your dwarves to place the blocks takes hours. I would not recommend that route.

Instead, dig out the labyrinth in the ground using dwarves that do not eat, think, drink, sleep, or feel pain.

You want to disable sieges in the init.

---Bonus:

Since this is for adventure mode, you might want creatures to spawn in the labyrinth.

If you want creatures to be spawned in your ladyrinth, you can embark over a chasm or bottomless pit. If the dug-out area is linked to these, the monsters should spill out into the rest of the labyrinth. Letting monsters kill dwarves and acquire names helps, as does modding labyrinth monsters to appear in larger numbers, in greater sizes or varieties.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod