Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Having tested both 2D and STANDARD, how is 40d19 compared to 40d?

Faster, no (unknown) problems
Faster, problematic
Same speed, no (unknown) problems
Same speed, problematic
Slower, no other (unknown) problems
Slower, problematic
Doesn't work at all

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 34

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d19  (Read 162139 times)

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d19
« Reply #225 on: March 10, 2010, 03:31:03 am »

Hey guys. I'm not entirely sure why I got the urge to do this, nor whether anyone will care (since so many avoid the original ASCII).

Seeing as d+ supports true alpha transparency in tilesets, I figured I'd 'remaster' the original curses_640x300.png with anti-aliasing (drawn pixel by pixel  :-\). The only real advantage is that the forground elements of a tile transition nicely to the background colour.

The tileset:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Comparison (not the best):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cheers guys :)

Edit: Probably not the best forum for it, but I figured it appropriate enough...

Edit 2: Threw in some full screens for better in game comparison :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 12:36:28 am by GFXiNXS »
Intel i7 980X 6-Cores @ 3.8GHz
6GB DDR3 8-8-8-24 @ 2000MHz
Radeon 5970 - Stock Clocks

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 10, 2010, 03:52:07 am »

this looks pretty good actually.  :)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 10, 2010, 03:56:54 am »

I, for one, am quite happy about that remaster.  :)
I don't use graphical tilesets.. whiich, I suppose, is why those so often break. I need to remember to at least /test/ with them.  :(

Would you object to packing your remastering with DF instead of the current tiles?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

madman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 10, 2010, 05:49:06 am »

I suspect I'm rather in the minority here, but I often find that anti-aliasing makes things look slightly out of focus, and that's a little irritating on the eyes.

Of course, scaling up of the comparison given probably makes it look worse than it really is, but if anti-aliased tiles go in (is that the suggestion, Baughn?), it would be good to make them optional.

Hopefully it will  not be an issue for me, as I most like the ncurses mode (although when I last checked, the lack of shift-arrows made it not quite ready for use yet).
Quote from: bluea
Compilers are Dwarves with the beards abstracted away.
They can pull completely amazing maneuvers, yet manage to die of thirst in the river.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 10, 2010, 07:18:31 am »

I suspect I'm rather in the minority here, but I often find that anti-aliasing makes things look slightly out of focus, and that's a little irritating on the eyes.

Of course, scaling up of the comparison given probably makes it look worse than it really is, but if anti-aliased tiles go in (is that the suggestion, Baughn?), it would be good to make them optional.

Hopefully it will  not be an issue for me, as I most like the ncurses mode (although when I last checked, the lack of shift-arrows made it not quite ready for use yet).
I mostly agree here.  When I play games I usually turn off the aliasing.  It gives me nice sharp lines on the edges of things and I get the added benefit of better frame rates.  Of course, since this aliasing is in the texture it doesn't really matter, but I'd still prefer the pure pixel version to be honest.

It's a personal preference thing.  I like coding on a darker background, others like coding on lighter, etc.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 10, 2010, 08:13:12 am »

I like sharp edges and visible pixels too. Please don't remove the original tileset.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 10, 2010, 08:15:03 am »

Right, right. I bow to popular opinion.

You can always get it from the wiki, I suppose. ;)

eNTi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 10, 2010, 08:48:20 am »

is there any way of compilling and running this on 64bit natively?

madman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 10, 2010, 09:03:31 am »

Right, right. I bow to popular opinion.

You can always get it from the wiki, I suppose. ;)
Two people is hardly popular opinion!

I'd imagine _most_ people would prefer the aliasing ... perhaps a poll? (Edit: OK, making it switchable means a poll would be unnecessary)

is there any way of compilling and running this on 64bit natively?

That would require Today to either compile the base Dwarf Fortress code as 64 bit, or release the code to someone else who did (the second one is not going to happen). At the moment it is released as a closed source 32 bit binary to which the graphics stuff is linked, and AFAIK linking 32 bit and 64 bit stuff is not possible.

I'd suggest going to the eternal suggestions poll http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24818.0 and voting for '64bit native DF' (and the suggested 5x speed improvement in the description there is rubbish - I didn't write that).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 09:15:27 am by madman »
Quote from: bluea
Compilers are Dwarves with the beards abstracted away.
They can pull completely amazing maneuvers, yet manage to die of thirst in the river.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 10, 2010, 09:10:21 am »

My intention is to make them switchable at runtime, at which point this won't matter. For the moment, it's just easier to stay with the status quo.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 10, 2010, 09:20:27 am »

If you have very large, high-resolution shapes, like say, a scene in a modern FPS, anti-aliasing makes some sense, but we're dealing with what 16x16 tiles here? Sometimes less? At that point (especially with the type of graphics we're working with), there's really no benefit at all. The font is made up of sharp, clear shapes by design, and making it blurrier doesn't really help anything very much. I suppose it rounds out the shapes of some things a bit, but the trade-off is that things are less sharp and distinct.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 10, 2010, 09:41:48 am »

Re: 64-bit compilation, near as I can tell compiling it in 64-bit mode would take no more than throwing a switch in the makefile.

The main problem is toady's lack of an installed 64-bit linux system. It should be simple enough to get around, given that his *hardware* is already 64-bit, but that's something to look at later. It'd be no more than a few percent speedup, anyway.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 10, 2010, 11:15:15 am »

this may have been ask before, but I didn't see it.

When you say that Adventure Mode is to be broken until DF2010, do you plan to release a final 40d## with the Adventure mode fix (if it is something that can be fixed on your end of the programming.) Even though there will be the new DF out?  So people don't have to give up any adventurers they managed to keep alive in 40d16?

blunted2night

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 10, 2010, 12:10:49 pm »

I know this is somewhat off topic, but...

As far as I can tell, compiling in 64 bit would actually slow down a program. It would require all pointers to be twice as large, and likely many integers in the code would also be widened to 64 bits. So unless there are performance gains due the ability to use more than 2GBs of RAM inside the process, you will just have a larger memory footprint, and increased pressure on the caches.

Running on a 64bit OS on the other hand can help as the extra memory space could mean less swapping memory to external storage.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:13:07 pm by blunted2night »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 10, 2010, 12:13:16 pm »

When you say that Adventure Mode is to be broken until DF2010, do you plan to release a final 40d## with the Adventure mode fix (if it is something that can be fixed on your end of the programming.) Even though there will be the new DF out?  So people don't have to give up any adventurers they managed to keep alive in 40d16?

Can't you just move your adventurers back to 40d16 (or 40d11 or 40d)?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 34