Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Having tested both 2D and STANDARD, how is 40d19 compared to 40d?

Faster, no (unknown) problems
Faster, problematic
Same speed, no (unknown) problems
Same speed, problematic
Slower, no other (unknown) problems
Slower, problematic
Doesn't work at all

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 34

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d19  (Read 162197 times)

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d19
« Reply #180 on: March 07, 2010, 06:12:15 am »

Okay final version fix for ATI (some) bold problem:
Code: [Select]
int bold = int(texelFetch(data, offset_tile+3).a>0);
instead of old int bold= clamp...
This way movies ok and view is also ok. And it's prob very fast :)

Xardas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 07, 2010, 06:39:26 am »

Two problems, minor and major one:

Minor: shader mode doesn't work: http://pastebin.com/JfYh171h

Major: game segfaults every time when trying to generate new world (after chosing size and pressing Enter it immediately segfaults) or when starting/loading game (crashes at "importing world")

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 07, 2010, 09:26:44 am »

Xardas: Your drivers don't support shader model 4, as the error log clearly states. Sorry, card is too old.. or you're using three year old drivers, which I suppose is a possibility.

I'm trying to get it down to version 130 w/extensions, which /might/ work for you, but don't hold your breath.

As for the segfaults, is that with d19_2?

darius: Thanks, merged. :-)

Rafal99: I cache the ones actually used. In video memory, usually (video-video blits should be fast); in system memory if necessary. This has yet to cause problems. On the other hand, I'm not aware of any fast ways to color them in the first place, so the caching is vital for good perforamance.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 07, 2010, 10:07:51 am »

Rafal99: I cache the ones actually used. In video memory, usually (video-video blits should be fast); in system memory if necessary. This has yet to cause problems. On the other hand, I'm not aware of any fast ways to color them in the first place, so the caching is vital for good perforamance.

Ok then, I was planning to cache the used ones. It seems to be the best way.
Should work well for DFPaint.
Might be a bit more problematic for a game I am planning, where I want to use 24-bit color. I must take a look at libtcod how they did this.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 07, 2010, 10:19:11 am »

Win 7, x64, 4850x2, all that jazz.  40D19x2
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 07, 2010, 11:54:58 am »

Good morning!

This may be a known bug, since I haven't tested much since D11 or so, but it's driving me so crazy I may have to go back.

It appears to behave the same in D18 and D19 (which I'm testing currently). Regardless of the init.txt size settings, when I start the program up the window starts to the RIGHT of my screen, and it looks fine (text proper size). BUT, as soon as I drag the window COMPLETELY into the screen, or maximize it, the text jumps down about 5 point sizes! It looks like I'm getting a few more columns, but that doesn't do me any good if I can't clearly see what I'm doing. Honestly, I'd much rather see FEWER columns than more.

I've tried setting the X and Y values to both screen sizes and row/column sizes, and the behavior just won't go away.

System data: AMD 2.1GHz, 1.5GB Ram, AGP Geforce 6200-256
Values attempted: 1020x700, 80x36 (used in 40D official), black space on, graphics on

I know this was not a problem previously, but if it can't either be fixed or configured around, I simply can't play on this version. It's TOO small to see clearly. It appears to be related to the auto-size code in some way, but I'm not sure in what manner.

OK, I went back through my collection of DF versions, and the first one (that I had) which did NOT exhibit this behavior is 40D11, so this has obviously been around for a while - and it must not bother anyone else either. :)

I tinkered with the init settings a good bit, including turning OFF the RESIZABLE flag. I cannot find any way to prevent the program window from crunching my text down to an unreadable size when it's fully on-screen. it looks FINE when its hanging off the right side somewhere, but as soon as I have the whole thing on screen, the text goes CRUNCH and I can hardly make it out anymore.

If I turn off resizing and set all the X and Y values to 0, the window does look OK, but I lose a bunch of columns off the right side. If my count is accurate it only displays about 66 columns instead of 80.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Rochndil, who will probably do his mod testing on 40D11...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 01:09:41 pm by Rochndil »
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

guebstrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2010, 01:05:49 pm »

150x75 is bigger than my screen. =/

150x75 is not a suitable benchmark if you are comparing versions.

On my computer, running 150x75 in 40d makes a tiny, unreadable window.

In the newer versions of the game, including d16-19 the window re-sizes itself automatically to fit on your screen, so 150x75 doesn't mean anything.
For an accurate test you should use your native resolution in 40d, or 0x0 or anything in the newer versions.
I think this resizing behavior is what Rochndil is talking about. I don't think it's a problem, even though the font does shrink after it re-sizes.
You can run tests by zooming in and out with your mouse wheel in the later versions. This significantly affects frame rate (on my PC) since you can cram the entire map onto the screen!
The 40d19 and 19_2 windows downloads come with init.txt set to [GRAPHICS_FONT:mayday.png], but that should be changed to something in the art folder.
Example:

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 01:10:10 pm by guebstrike »
He is the former holy fungus of The Fellowship of Hell

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2010, 02:07:27 pm »

Ive seen alot of mention of dx10 and 11 on this thread...

I really hope dx11 will not be a requirement in the future to play DF, I dont use vista or windows 7 just xp.

Please have support for xp and linux :)
There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 07, 2010, 02:22:05 pm »

I have a DX10 compatible ATI card (Radeon HD 4600) but Shader mode crashes with the following error:

This is on Windows7 with fairly recent drivers (8/09). Is this something already fixed in the recent -head version or am I just out of luck?

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 07, 2010, 02:30:58 pm »

I really hope dx11 will not be a requirement in the future to play DF, I dont use vista or windows 7 just xp.

I wouldn't worry about that, this isn't even a requirement to run the normal DF

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 07, 2010, 02:56:36 pm »

I wouldn't worry about that, this isn't even a requirement to run the normal DF

Im sure toady wont leave 50% of his fan base out in the dust of course, im just checking and making sure :)

Ogantai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 07, 2010, 03:21:51 pm »

DX10 and DX11 aren't requirements, the only reason they are mentioned is that a card that could support DX10 is required for shader mode. (DX10 itself isn't required for shader mode, it runs just fine on XP w/ DX9 or Linux w/ no DX at all.)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 07, 2010, 03:45:02 pm »

I think we need a huge disclaimer that says these new DF versions DO NOT USE DirectX.  I really wish people would stop using DX10/DX11 compatible as a qualifier, but it happens to be the "most common" identifier for the cards that support the extensions being used.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 07, 2010, 04:10:31 pm »

I think we need a huge disclaimer that says these new DF versions DO NOT USE DirectX.  I really wish people would stop using DX10/DX11 compatible as a qualifier, but it happens to be the "most common" identifier for the cards that support the extensions being used.

I have no problems with dx10 /11 i just dont want to be stuck without being able to play df :)

IF xp supported them i would be using them, doesnt tho :(

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 07, 2010, 06:40:50 pm »

guebstrike: The resizing code is supposed to be possible to turn off, but things are kind of an, um, bit of a mess right now and it can't be. I'm working on it. Meanwhile, get a larger tileset and it won't be an issue, or you should be able to zoom in on the one you've got with the mouse wheel.

Andiir: There are several. Both in the first post, and in init.txt.

Scarpa: Your card claims not to support shader model 4, which is a requirement of DX10-compatible cards. Your drivers may be broken, so you could try updating those. Though even after it's fixed.. the shader mode does not currently support ATI cards. I've got sufficient data to fix that now, though.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 34