Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Having tested both 2D and STANDARD, how is 40d19 compared to 40d?

Faster, no (unknown) problems
Faster, problematic
Same speed, no (unknown) problems
Same speed, problematic
Slower, no other (unknown) problems
Slower, problematic
Doesn't work at all

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d19  (Read 162116 times)

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d19
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2010, 08:02:44 pm »

hey toady, since you did the direct x10 shader mode, are you also working for those that have the latest direct x11?

shader mode should also work on DX11 cards - other than that I don't think there is anything additional DX11 could give us. 

Cymsdale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2010, 08:16:08 pm »

I have an issue trying to use backspace when entering text. I'm on OSX. When I press it, a triangle type character appears. I found a discussion on this in the d15 thread with a suggested fix, but that didn't seem to work for me.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2010, 08:29:35 pm »

Your terminal settings are causing something other-than-expected to be sent, I suspect.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

shadow_slicer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 05, 2010, 08:45:25 pm »

I have an issue trying to use backspace when entering text. I'm on OSX. When I press it, a triangle type character appears. I found a discussion on this in the d15 thread with a suggested fix, but that didn't seem to work for me.

By triangle type character you mean ⌂? This is the "delete" character (usually written as ^?). Some terminals send it instead of the backspace character (^H). You probably should adjust your terminal to use the correct backspace character. I don't know how to do that on OS X though. You could try 'stty', if it exists. Otherwise, a workaround should be to use ctrl-H as backspace.

@Baughn: Perhaps you can treat ^? as the same keybinding as ^H, since these are both used... (Edit:) Note that ^? is character 127.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 08:49:15 pm by shadow_slicer »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2010, 08:59:10 pm »

subscribble
You know, you don't have to comment to subscribe to a thread... you can click on the 'notify' button at the top and bottom of the thread.
That's not as fun though... and I didn't think of it ;)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Meteorswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2010, 09:07:19 pm »

What version of what distro are you using? Perhaps we can try to find where the difference is. It works on my system and I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 (x64) with the en_US.UTF-8 locale. I think I'm using gnome-terminal version 2.28.1 with 'Monospace' as the font and bash 4.0.

Also, are you running df within another program such as screen? (Admittedly it works both with and without screen on my system)
Have you tried rxvt-unicode?

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit in the en_US.UTF-8 locale, using the system default monospace font, 'monospace,' size 12.  gnome-terminal 2.28.1, Bash 4.0.33.  This is a clean install, but I have a good number of configuration settings carried over from when I was running ubuntueee.  However, I'll test it on my totally clean desktop in a few days when I have access to it.

I'm afraid I'm a wee bit new to this forum, and the search tool doesn't work for me very well, so it'll be some time before I go thread diving to look for solutions.

EDIT: sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/libncursesw.so /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5  didn't fix it, neither did rxvt-unicode.  However, I can display a unicode test file just fine, so buh?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 09:14:47 pm by Meteorswarm »

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 05, 2010, 09:19:59 pm »

init.txt has references to mayday.png if it matters.

With standard in windowed mode the screen is not refreshing unless I go to another application and come back. OS X.

koitsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2010, 09:24:30 pm »

By triangle type character you mean ⌂? This is the "delete" character (usually written as ^?). Some terminals send it instead of the backspace character (^H). You probably should adjust your terminal to use the correct backspace character. I don't know how to do that on OS X though. You could try 'stty', if it exists. Otherwise, a workaround should be to use ctrl-H as backspace.

@Baughn: Perhaps you can treat ^? as the same keybinding as ^H, since these are both used... (Edit:) Note that ^? is character 127.

It's based on the terminal emulator used.  Different terminal types (xterm vs. vt100 vs. vt102 vs. wyse vs. screen vs. cons25 vs. ansi) use different characters.  The two most common characters used are Control-H (0x08, e.g. ^H) and Control-? (0x7F, e.g. ^?).  ^H is officially referred to as "Backspace", while ^? is officially referred to as "Delete" (less commonly referred to as a "destructive backspace").

Using stty to adjust this setting is not recommended.  People end up putting this into their dotfiles to "solve the problem" (which will flat out break things if you connect to the machine using another terminal type).

In the ncurses world, the character-to-behaviour definitions are called KEY_BACKSPACE and KEY_DELETE respectively.  Keep in mind, however, that KEY_BACKSPACE will refer to whatever "stty erase" shows; this is intentional behaviour on the part of Thomas Dickey (author of curses, and someone who you don't argue with when it comes to terminals.  :-) )  Meaning, KEY_BACKSPACE could actually be referring to ^? in the case of xterm (since xterm truly defines backspace as ^?).

Making DF think KEY_BACKSPACE and KEY_DELETE functionally do the same thing might create more trouble than its worth.  For example, say you have the input string "foobar" with the cursor blinking over the "b" character.  Now you press Delete (^?).  The string should then become "fooar" with the cursor on the "a".  However if you were to press Backspace (^H) the string should then become "fobar" with the cursor still on the "b".

"Blah blah koitsu ranting... so how do we solve this?"

Simple: the person experiencing incorrect behaviour with their Backspace key needs to find out if what their terminal is sending when pressing Backspace is what the underlying *IX machine (in this case OS X) expects based on their terminal type.  If the terminal emulator maps the Backspace key to ^? (like xterm does), then "stty -a" should show "erase=^?".  If it doesn't, then the individual's $TERM is incorrect for the type of emulator they're using, and needs to be adjusted in the emulator itself, or $TERM be set to what the emulator claims to emulate.

This is why when people say "when I do something in my terminal it hurts", my first question is "what's TERM set to, what OS, and what terminal emulator?"  There's a multitude of terminal emulators for OS X -- all behave differently because some emulate xterm, some emulate vt100, and then there's Apple's native Terminal.app which emulates some god-awful combo-mess of vt102 and xterm.

So OP, fix your terminal emulator or fix your environment.  :-)
Making life hard for others since 1977.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 05, 2010, 09:27:05 pm »

For example, say you have the input string "foobar" with the cursor blinking over the "b" character.  Now you press Delete (^?).  The string should then become "fooar" with the cursor on the "a".  However if you were to press Backspace (^H) the string should then become "fobar" with the cursor still on the "b".
I am under the impression that you can't internally edit any of the limited number strings you may input in DF, which rather obviates the problem.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

koitsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2010, 09:29:18 pm »

EDIT: sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/libncursesw.so /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5  didn't fix it, neither did rxvt-unicode.  However, I can display a unicode test file just fine, so buh?

Do you have two versions of ncurses on your system per chance (say one in /usr/lib and another in /usr/local/lib)?  Can you provide the output of "ldd -v /some/path/to/dwarfort.exe"?  The filename should be the actual ELF executable and *not* the "df" shell script.  This will help determine what actual ncurses library is being mapped on your system.

After you get the ldd -v output, please provide "ls -l /path/to/library/shown".  E.g. for this kind of output:

/usr/local/bin/bash:
        libncurses.so.8 => /lib/libncurses.so.8 (0x606d8000)
        libc.so.7 => /lib/libc.so.7 (0x60822000)

I'd like to see the output from:

ls -l /lib/libncurses.so.8
ls -l /lib/libc.so.7

Thanks.

koitsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2010, 09:35:55 pm »

For example, say you have the input string "foobar" with the cursor blinking over the "b" character.  Now you press Delete (^?).  The string should then become "fooar" with the cursor on the "a".  However if you were to press Backspace (^H) the string should then become "fobar" with the cursor still on the "b".
I am under the impression that you can't internally edit any of the limited number strings you may input in DF, which rather obviates the problem.

I don't know what "limited number strings" means in this context.  Can you explain what you mean?  I'm under the impression on Linux and OS X in TEXT mode, ncurses is being used for both terminal output *as well* as terminal (keyboard) input.  If this isn't the case, how exactly is the input obtained?  fgetc() on a stream?  getchar() which reads STDIN?  Talking to the tty directly using termios(3)?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2010, 10:40:53 pm »

I don't know what "limited number strings" means in this context.  Can you explain what you mean?  I'm under the impression on Linux and OS X in TEXT mode, ncurses is being used for both terminal output *as well* as terminal (keyboard) input.  If this isn't the case, how exactly is the input obtained?  fgetc() on a stream?  getchar() which reads STDIN?  Talking to the tty directly using termios(3)?
Sorry, the limited number OF strings.

that is, there are relatively few places where you input a string to DF, and I don't recall any of them allowing you to use Left to edit your input instead of requiring you to backspace to that position.

My left key is broken though, so I can't test/verify that.
Tilesets

Zared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2010, 10:54:56 pm »

My own save:

Standard : 22 (20) / 23
Shader:  Nonfunctional
VBO:        22 (20) / 23
ACCUM_BUFFER:  23 (20) / 23.  Single buffer only, double flickers back and forth badly
FRAME_BUFFER 22 (20) / 23.
PARTIAL:0 :  22 (20) / 22.  Single buffer only, double flickers even worse than ACCUM_BUFFER

2D:  19 (18) / 19
2DASYNC: 17 (17) / 16
2DSW: 20 (19) / 20

Shader gives the compilation error

data/shader.vs shader compilation log (238):
Vertex shader failed to compile with the following errors:
ERROR: 2:16: error(#168) Reserved built-in name gl_Vertex
ERROR: 2:17: error(#168) Reserved built-in name gl_VertexID
ERROR: error(#273) 2 compilation errors.  No code generated

Faster than any other 40D#, plus the 2D modes work with png fonts, so that's good.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2010, 10:59:29 pm »

Not really a bug, per-say, but at the default windowed resolution with fps display on, the fps screen covers everything in the world name except for "the".
~die images die~

Also, this problem on the "z" screen for the date. WHAT DAY IS IT?

A nice workaround would be to put it on the bottom...
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

ad3idian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 05, 2010, 11:08:02 pm »

I had a problem with text mode, where no unicode characters would display. I followed koitsu's advice, and found that dwarfort.exe links to "/lib/libncurses.so.5". If I replace "/lib/libncurses.so.5" with "/lib/libncursesw.so.5", then dwarf fortress works fine in text mode. Shouldn't dwarf fortress be using the 'w' library in the first place? I thought my set up was what most people had. I'm running Ubuntu 9.10.
Other than that, it works pretty well. On my windows xp machine, d19 runs at about the speed of 40d (though I haven't tried all the setting yet). On my Ubuntu laptop, it runs, which is a big improvement from 40d. I don't have any problems once I get it started, but (on the Ubuntu laptop) it seems to segfault ~10% of the time at startup. This seems to have nothing to do with the init settings. It doesn't seem to happen with previous d# versions (such as d18).
For the Ubuntu laptop,
2D* versions: 90 (19). The sound has some occasionally static.
Shader: Crashes, as expected.
All else: 95 (19). The sound runs well.
EDIT: a much better idea for fixing the text mode unicode problem. Create a symbolic link in dwarf fortress's lib directory to the correct library (libncursesw), under the name "libncurses.so.5".
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 12:05:17 am by ad3idian »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34