Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Having tested both 2D and STANDARD, how is 40d19 compared to 40d?

Faster, no (unknown) problems
Faster, problematic
Same speed, no (unknown) problems
Same speed, problematic
Slower, no other (unknown) problems
Slower, problematic
Doesn't work at all

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 34

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d19  (Read 162074 times)

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d19
« Reply #345 on: March 20, 2010, 07:34:15 pm »

Put together, these mean that a modern desktop CPU may (under ideal circumstances) be able to do one multiplication every cycle (the latency will be higher, but still only a few cycles) while needing several cycles to fetch data from memory.
That is part of why I always such a pisser about memory usage.  Another reason being that disk I/O is even worse.  Even on current systems with 3GB of RAM portions of the program data will start being tossed off into the swap file as early as 30MB used.

Anyway.  Baughn, if you commit the recent changes for graphics.cpp; then I will look at shifting some more things around in there.  There are still some strlen calls that need to be fixed, I should probably determine if Toady uses those methods.

It might also make sense to put all the different arrays for the screen buffers into a single class.  I did something like that when I was coding a full replacement for the graphicst class and had good speed results.  Among the things I would suggest as part of that change is to combine the texture number for graphic tiles and character number for font tiles into a single uint_16 or 32.  Fewer comparisons and pointers will make for better speed by freeing up more registers for important stuff.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 20, 2010, 09:30:06 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:55:46 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

A for Anonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 20, 2010, 09:34:35 pm »

It is highly unlikely there would be a 64-bit version for windows, nor that there would be one for OS X so long as it starts up with a 32-bit kernel by default. :P
I'm not done reading the whole thread yet because it's huge, so please pardon if this has been pondered already but: The statistics from Valve's Steam (which are pretty viable for noticing hardware and OS trends) show a really REALLY high adoption rate of Windows 7 64-bit, with 30.59% of gamers using Steam already running an NT 6.x 64-bit OS, and there has to be some seriously high correlation between DF gamers and gamers that use Steam... So your statement isn't really quite as true (for Windows, that is). :-\
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:58:43 pm by A for Anonymous »

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 21, 2010, 02:42:44 am »

It is highly unlikely there would be a 64-bit version for windows, nor that there would be one for OS X so long as it starts up with a 32-bit kernel by default. :P
I'm not done reading the whole thread yet because it's huge, so please pardon if this has been pondered already but: The statistics from Valve's Steam (which are pretty viable for noticing hardware and OS trends) show a really REALLY high adoption rate of Windows 7 64-bit, with 30.59% of gamers using Steam already running an NT 6.x 64-bit OS, and there has to be some seriously high correlation between DF gamers and gamers that use Steam... So your statement isn't really quite as true (for Windows, that is). :-\

Your assumption isn't strictly valid.  Most will probably agree that DF generally attracts a slightly different crowd than a more typical game experience, at least historically.

However, your conclusions isn't without merit.  The Window's 7 64-bit install base is growing at ~2.5 times the 32-bit install base, and I suspect the Linux community has an even higher 64-bit install base.  However, the more practical consideration of maintaining and troubleshooting the extra release versions is likely to be the biggest determining factor.  32-bit programs operate well(generally) in a 64-bit environment, while the reverse is not true.

It is, however, Toady's decision.  But if he did make a 64-bit Linux version, I would probably dual boot for it.  I have been meaning to get into Linux anyway.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 21, 2010, 05:44:32 am »

Veroule: The current development branch is "matrix", which has been seriously cleaned up relatively to the d19 code. I keep it up to date on github. It doesn't work with DF, being too changed, so instead use the stand-alone, misnamed "tetris" executable.

Still some bits missing - mouse support, shader mode mainly - but I'm fixing that now.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 05:49:21 am by Baughn »
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 21, 2010, 07:54:15 am »

Wow!  That is a lot of stuff moved around.  I am still reading through where you moved things, but it looks like you are finally sorting out some of the spaghetti and turning it into decent  OO organization.
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 21, 2010, 09:18:05 am »

The old (d19) code causes a lot of opengl error conditions in various circumstances. It's supposed to be legal, but error handling is nowhere near as reliable as not having errors in the first place.

I realized the only way to fix the opengl problems was to not to cause them in the first place, so therefore this. It's going to cause a lot of extra work for toady. I'd have preferred to avoid it, but there was literally no choice. :/

A for Anonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 21, 2010, 10:47:35 am »

However, your conclusions isn't without merit.  The Window's 7 64-bit install base is growing at ~2.5 times the 32-bit install base, and I suspect the Linux community has an even higher 64-bit install base.  However, the more practical consideration of maintaining and troubleshooting the extra release versions is likely to be the biggest determining factor.  32-bit programs operate well(generally) in a 64-bit environment, while the reverse is not true.
What it boils down to, in the (possibly very) long run, is that the 32-bit install base will, at some point in the future, be so marginally small that supporting it becomes pointless.

However, at that point in time, starting a 64-bit build would take even longer to do than it would now, as the code base will have grown enormously and the probability for there to be issue with porting will be much higher.

It is, however, Toady's decision.  But if he did make a 64-bit Linux version, I would probably dual boot for it.  I have been meaning to get into Linux anyway.
That it is Toady's decision is without question, but from what I can tell Baughn and the rest of the d# development team have a (somewhat) bigger influence on decisions Toady makes in that regard, thus I was merely pointing out that Baughn might want to rethink his position on NT 6.x 64-bit builds. :) (NT 5.3 [XP 64-bit] builds being rather pointless at this point, as people are rapidly migrating away from it due to the numerous issues with it.)

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 21, 2010, 11:18:47 am »

Although that build(d19) works very fast, save from d16 seems to work fine, BUT i CANNOT link floodgate..:E

I mean i can select floodgate linking option, but cursor is lost, also i cannot choose that specific, new floodgate manually - path is ok..

Scrolling through floodgates is weird, screen jumps into places where no floodgates are present.....

upd: but function works(i just cannot see cursor in proper place - it is visible while mechanisms are choosed).

winxp,
[PRINT_MODE:STANDARD]
[SINGLE_BUFFER:NO]
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 11:49:42 am by xoen »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 21, 2010, 11:34:33 am »

Renderer threading is implemented, and (seems to) be working. In one (admittedly extreme) case, it doubled my framerates in 2D mode; it has less effect on the opengl modes.

The way this is setup, it might even be useful on single-core processors. I'll be looking forward to reports on d20, or.. df2010-2, perhaps. :P

(There's almost certain to be race conditions in there, though. I'm not going to claim I've thought of everything, not just yet. *shudder*)

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 21, 2010, 12:39:08 pm »

I have to really study what you did with the threading.  My first perusal gave me the feeling that something was not quite right, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 21, 2010, 01:15:15 pm »

Ok, found one thing that were causing me a bad feeling.

The creation of the  thread in main() of enabler.cpp.  This is done before the initilisation of various required structures in enablerst::loop.  You may have sporadic early crashes as a result.  Fix this by moving the if...SDL_CreateThread directly after the if's for allocating the appropiate render.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 21, 2010, 01:17:14 pm »

That shouldn't be a problem.

The thread is created early, yes, but it then hits run_frame and blocks until SemPost is called from do_frame.

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 21, 2010, 01:18:11 pm »

I'll see if I can make the matrix branch build on Win32 with MSVC, I'll also see how well it works on 64 bit Windows (6.0).

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 21, 2010, 01:22:49 pm »

One file is missing (find_file_win32.cpp or so), so it won't. I'll get that from toady later today.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 34