Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Having tested both 2D and STANDARD, how is 40d19 compared to 40d?

Faster, no (unknown) problems
Faster, problematic
Same speed, no (unknown) problems
Same speed, problematic
Slower, no other (unknown) problems
Slower, problematic
Doesn't work at all

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 34

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d19  (Read 162180 times)

Grocer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d19
« Reply #195 on: March 07, 2010, 07:50:43 pm »

OS X 10.6.2, 2 x 2.66 Dual-core Zeon (old ones, not the fancy new ones), NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, bunch of RAM.  New embark, 4x5, brook, magma pipe, 62 z-levels.  FPS cap off, G_FPS at 20, no other changes to init.

Zooming and resizing work as advertised.  Window resized to around 1150x1150.  Full screen prompt at beginning always goes to windowed regardless of which option is chosen but it's possible to force full screen in the init.  I didn't test the toggle, I use F11 for other things and I only play windowed.

STANDARD:  82-125 (19-20) / 901-114.  In d11 (the last stable enough version I used) FPS maxed at 83 on similar embarks, so that's a pretty big improvement.

2D modes all the same:  116-132 (19-20) / 107-150

2DASYNC gives the following warning in Terminal:   "Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz."  It's possible that showed up for the other 2D modes and I missed it.

PARTIAL:0: 97-140 (19-20) / 75-130

ACCUM_BUFFER: 100-132 (19-20) / 90-130

FRAME_BUFFER: 96-122 (18-19) / 90-130

One additional note - FPS varies a lot which is new.  Previous versions FPS was stable when the view was stable, jumps around a lot now.
Legendary Dead Horse Beater

crazycarlt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 07, 2010, 09:01:13 pm »

Couldn't read through teh whole thread so I don't know if anybody else has posted this bug.

When I enable flow amounts, even though I've set the map size to 16:16 it comes out as 12:15 on the embark screen, then when I go to embark the game crashes. Turning off flow amounts allows me to embark just fine with the settings I have in the ini files.

My files:
init.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

d_init.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 08, 2010, 01:13:06 am »

On Windows 7 in standard mode with mayday.png on 19_2 we were seeing the dwarves through text screens, such a the manager screen, etc.

crazycarlt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 08, 2010, 06:27:19 am »

Another bug. Windows 7 x64, 40d19.

If you start a new fort with all the default settings, immediately embark, then use 'v' to highlight a dwarf, press 'z' to view his profile, and then press enter to view thoughts and preferences, the game crashes IF:
you're using dorten's graphic set http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Tileset_repository#Dorten, you have a 1920x1280 monitor, and you expand the dwarf fortress window to be wide enough that the final line of the profile is able to appear without wrapping.

I think the cause is directly related to that final profile line not wrapping, so it will probably crash with any small tileset that makes this possible. I simply alternated pressing enter a couple times, then stretching the window a little, then pressing enter a couple times again.

Since I like using my full screen resolution with a small tileset, enabling me to view a rather large slice of the dwarf world (sometimes the entire region!) it hampers my playstyle quite a bit to be forced to keep my window below a certain size to prevent this crash.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 08, 2010, 06:55:09 am »

bombcar: Noted. Pretty sure I know why.

crazycarlt: DF bug, report to Toady.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Xardas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 08, 2010, 08:54:27 am »

Xardas: Your drivers don't support shader model 4, as the error log clearly states. Sorry, card is too old.. or you're using three year old drivers, which I suppose is a possibility.

I'm trying to get it down to version 130 w/extensions, which /might/ work for you, but don't hold your breath.

As for the segfaults, is that with d19_2?

Yeah, you're probably right about the drives, I'm on Linux Mint 7 which installs automatically ver 180 (and I was never brave and skilled enough to try updating them manually :-\ )

After some small tests I have made, I have discovered that segfaults are caused by libgraphics.so from df-40d19-head.tar.bz2 - df_28_181_40d19_linux.tar.bz2 works fine (apart from map image export not working - you have written about it at the beginning of a topic).

EDIT: Yeah linux, copied wrong filename.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 09:44:39 am by Xardas »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 08, 2010, 09:10:38 am »

I assume you didn't actually mean "osx". :P

-head sometimes failing like that is a rather unfortunate consequence of the way it's built. One really shouldn't try to build part of a C++ program on one machine, and part on another.. it usually seems to work out, though. Pity.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 08, 2010, 12:13:13 pm »

Scarpa: Your card claims not to support shader model 4, which is a requirement of DX10-compatible cards. Your drivers may be broken, so you could try updating those. Though even after it's fixed.. the shader mode does not currently support ATI cards. I've got sufficient data to fix that now, though.

Hmm.. It's definitely a DX10 compatible card and ATI's marketing page for the chipset says it supports Shader Model 4.1.

I think I'll wait until you're reasonably sure it will work on ATI cards then start looking into my drivers. Thanks for the update.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 08, 2010, 12:17:52 pm »

crazycarlt: DF bug, report to Toady.

This one's come up at least 3 times so you may as well put it under Known Issues.  The distinction between "Baughn's bugs" and "Toady's bugs" isn't meaningful to most of the people reporting them, and this thread is the only reasonable place to report them anyway.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 12:42:08 pm by Footkerchief »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 08, 2010, 12:53:21 pm »

True enough. I'll put a blanket statement there; the kind of bug is pretty distinct if you know what to look for.

fenrirfenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 08, 2010, 04:43:00 pm »

Does anybody know of any dwarf manager programs that are compatible with this version? Dwarf Therapist and Dwarf Manager itself both don't work. I'm too spoiled to try and coordinate a million dwarves by hand.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 08, 2010, 05:45:53 pm »

I put an adjusted group of BC source files in the downloads section of my fork.  I got BC compiling using the combination of those file and the ones that you are maintaining.  I was using the NO_FMOD for compiling so you may have to dig up and add some other files for sound support testing.

The build works enough to display the title page and options screen.  Some error in how I resplit stuff was leading to a crash if you tried to play the game.  I didn't feel like spending bunches of time debugging it.

The keybinding screen also would not display.

In any case it should give you something basic to test things on.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 08, 2010, 05:46:07 pm »

Does anybody know of any dwarf manager programs that are compatible with this version? Dwarf Therapist and Dwarf Manager itself both don't work. I'm too spoiled to try and coordinate a million dwarves by hand.
You have to get with the makers of those apps to update their memory locations... this usually takes time though and they are not up to the latest releases (especially with very volatile versions like the 40D#.)  My only suggestion for you (if you can't play with these tools) is to keep your DF at the latest version supported by Dwarf Therapist/Manager.  The versions in these threads are more for testing and debugging than they are for playing.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 08, 2010, 05:52:05 pm »

Veroule: I actually spent a little while building a matrix screensaver for the same purpose, but I think your version should be more useful in the long run, so thank you for the effort.

Think I'll stick with the screensaver for a little while, though. It's simpler, and right now I want "simple". ^^;

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 08, 2010, 06:17:26 pm »

So, I'm not sure what I'm missing here....

I downloaded d19/2 and unpacked it. I then proceeded to add in a tile set and graphic set (Guybrush, I believe, if it's relevant), mucked about modifying init and d_init settings to my liking and changed the key binding for secondscroll (I'm using a laptop) and "link bars to lever" (hor. or vert., whichever)in the interface file. Finally, I copied over my worldgen parameter set and embark profiles.

However, when I load the program, "Enter" does not work. I cannot use it to make a selection in either the title screen or the options menu. From my understanding of the interface file, either the keyboard enter or the keypad enter (not available) should work.

O, I'm running Vista.

What am I overlooking?
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 34