Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Copper nuggets.  (Read 1263 times)

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
Copper nuggets.
« on: March 04, 2010, 02:14:29 pm »

Hey everyone. I am still refining my personal version of the kobold camp mod and I need some help. I am looking for a way to be able to do one of the following (in order from best to worst):

1. Work copper ore straight from being mined into metal goods without fuel.

2. Turn copper ore into something called a copper nugget or similar (I don't know if they have to be called bars or not) without fuel and work it at a metal workshop without fuel.

3. Make it so that the smelter reaction creates a nugget and 2 bars of coke (from an ore and a bar of fuel) and be able to eliminate the need to make fuel (I will pretend they are just working it cold)

The concept here is that the kobolds are just working raw copper nuggets they found in the earth with a stone hammer on a pretty flat granite anvil.

If I have to use a smelter to turn it into nuggets(bars) I will just make a furnace operator sprite that looks like a kobold washing a copper nugget off.

If any of you could help me with this problem, or send me in the direction of some kind of tutorial or guide on how to do this I would appreciate it. (I did search for a similar thread, and the wiki isn't working for some reason)

"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Copper nuggets.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 02:39:17 pm »

Copper nuggets already exist in-game, mined from native copper walls. You can add a smelter reaction that makes copper bars from copper nuggets without using fuel.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 05:23:49 pm »

Is there a way to use the copper bars to make armor/weapons/ect without using fuel? I realize copper nuggets already exist, but I am going to re-name them dirty copper and make what comes out of the smelter called copper nuggets.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 06:05:02 pm »

Again, just reactions. You can make noquality weapons this way. Armour too, but it won't be the correct size for your Kobolds (I believe it defaults to size 7).
Looks like the third option is the best, if you're prepared to suspend your disbelief somewhat.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 06:32:57 pm »

armor size is determined by the creating race

Remove the [Fuel] Tag from the relevant Reactions_Standard file
Copy and paste the production line and change the Copper bar part to Coke

What will happen: you will make a copper bar from nothing but a ore. you will gain a free coke also to simulate "cold" smithing (beatin metal heats it up)

that's the easy way i can think of right of the bat
Back to Mafia with me!

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 07:00:06 pm »

I figured it would have to be something like that.

Thanks for all the help, now to try to make my kobolds live for more than 3 days to make all this matter.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 07:26:36 pm »

armor size is determined by the creating race
When smithing, yes. With reactions and Itemcorpse, it defaults to seven.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 08:37:23 pm »

ok you can refine them via smelter reactions, and you can turn them into weapons via smelter reactions, but not armor (unless you are human sized). You would need a source of fuel to use the forge.

Another option for weapons is to add [SHARP] to Native Copper and [CAN_STONE] to any weapon you wish to make out of it (except ammunition), but this will only make weapons. You will make the daggers at the craftdwarf shop using the "Make stone (weapon name)", it will still need a piece of wood though. Of course any weapon made this way will have 133% damage instead of the 66% damage that copper has.

A really out there option would be a reaction that turns the native copper into copper shell from the mighty copper clam (with no biome so it doesn't spawn) and make copper (shell) armor, damage reduction would be 50% of normal (just like leather) instead of copper's usual 66%.