Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Eclipse Phase: D&D in Space!  (Read 8042 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Eclipse Phase: D&D in Space!
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 02:52:00 pm »

I've been itching to play Traveller but I don't have any books for it.

I'd want to read Classic Traveller, Megatraveller, and the Mongoose version to see where they differ. I'm most interested in the setting of Classic Traveller.

I read a blog post about how you could look at Alien (1979) as a game of Traveller. Older, experienced working stiffs on a mortgaged spaceship trying to earn money to pay their bills, supplemented by retirement pay from previous jobs they had during character creation (in which it is possible to die before the game even starts).

So it fits between Hard Scifi (Moon) and Space Opera (Star Trek, 2001:Space Odyssey, Battlestar Galactica), low-tech but not steampunk. I'd call what I'm envisioning "chunkytech" where the computers all look like they could survive a small explosion, they all have sturdy buttons and switches, but there is rudimentary AI and interstellar spaceflight. Like a vision of 2200 from 1980.

That's what I want.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 02:53:38 pm »

I don't think you can die during character creation in Mongoose Traveller.  They got rid of that.
Shoes...

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 02:04:44 am »

You can still sustain crippling injuries, however.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 04:29:38 pm »

Mongoose traveller still retains it as an optional rule to chargen. I like their new verson better though. Sometimes the crippling injuries will make you wish for death instead. I've had several force me to forget a otherwise very promising character. My very experienced marine got hit by one that basically caused him to become little more than a quadriplegic. All those awesome weapon skills and armor can't really do much without the ability to carry anything.

Classic Traveller and Mongoose Traveller use pretty much the same setting. The only differences there are some of the mechanics are slightly more forgiving, or balanced, whichever you'd prefer to call it, in Mongoose. Classic is good, and there is a TON of stuff available for it, but it's VERY VERY easy to just use classic stuff for a mongoose game, there's very little work to converting it over and I haven't had anything come up that either didn't convert easily, or I couldn't just fudge a bit to get to work.

The best way to describe traveller, is to tell someone to watch Firefly. Granted, characters generally won't have as entertaining quips as the written actors in firefly, but the theme is very similar.

On the other hand, I find it almost infinitely moddable within reason. I wouldn't throw in too much magic(although the psion rules give you some ability there) but as an example, I've been wanting to run a war in the setting, giving each character maybe a small squad of helpers and giving them various missions throughout a campaign.

Anyway, yeah, I want to play traveller badly, but the few games I've tried to play haven't really gone anywhere.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 04:59:43 pm »

This traveller game sounds interesting. anyone know where I might find a copy?
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 02:02:18 am »

You can purchase them as .pdf eBooks from the official site, if you do a google search for them. I would link, but then I'd have to google it myself, and that takes button presses (almost as many as explaining my laziness away).

I, too, found that Traveler is like Firefly. And this creates joy within me.

Maybe we should take this to the RP section and get something going.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 03:26:49 am »

I, too, found that Traveler is like Firefly. And this creates joy within me.

Really? Must play now!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 08:38:25 am »

Damn, traveler sounds interesting, but it's apparently obscure enough that there aren't pdfs floating around, and pen and paper rulebooks are one of the things I swore I'd never buy again, after buying a number of D&D books burning obscene amounts of money on useless shit.

Looking at eclipse now...
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 10:39:14 pm »

I've yet to read through most of the pdf, but from what I've seen, Eclipse Phase is most interesting. I'd be interested in a Bay12 game if one ever gets organized.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 02:50:36 am »

I've only just started skimming the pdfs myself, but so far I'm digging the setting alot. If anyone does feel like organising a game I'd be up for playing too!

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 08:25:42 am »

Well I'll be damned, I couldn't find traveller pdfs because I was spelling it "traveler", which is what firefox's spellcheck says is right. Is "traveller" British spelling then?

I've been looking through the Eclipse book, and I have yet to see any actual rules to it. The fluff is detailed, but otherwise pretty standard soft sci-fi. Which isn't a bad thing, really, or indicative of laziness on the part of the authors. Pretty much anything you can come up with will be made of things similar to things that have been done before. Over a century of sci-fi writing assures that, because just about everything's been done in some form or another. Even so, it's hard to be engrossed by descriptions of a world, even an interesting one. But I'll get around to finding the rules in that mountain of fluff sooner or later. :3

I suppose I'd be interested in a game too if the rules seem ok.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 09:28:51 am »

I would also interested playing a game of this. Rules seem interesting, and I like the idea of derangements.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 10:03:00 am »

I might play, depends on if I like the rules when I finally read them.

To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2010, 12:15:51 am »

I've been reading the rules since yesterday, when I got it. Looks really fun. Once I finish with the rules and the flavor, I'm willing to start/join something. :)
Spoiler: ALTERNATE ENDING (click to show/hide)

GruffyBears

• Bay Watcher
  • Prodigal
    • View Profile
    • Creature Club Podcast
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 04:51:47 pm »

I can act as a GM's advisor, which I'll admit is rich considering the few sessions I've had, but any assistance I can offer, I will.
I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
- T.S Eliot
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4