Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Met person with crazy family, need advice  (Read 4816 times)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Met person with crazy family, need advice
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 10:28:10 am »

Wait do you NOT like her

because that isn't the impression given by your OP
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 11:03:22 am »

NO! BAD JUDE! *Slaps Jude with newspaper.*

Armok supports taking advantage of emotional problems to get with girls.
What?! I must have failed gramar somwhere, that was exactly what I were angry at jude for suggesting!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 11:41:05 am »

Don't date people with crazy families. It's more trouble than it's worth. Seriously, you're lucky it's obvious before going in. Just be a nice friend.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 01:38:07 pm »

What?! I must have failed gramar somwhere, that was exactly what I were angry at jude for suggesting!

You did fail at grammar

You missed the word "don't" in my first post

Oh Jesus

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 02:06:53 pm »

oh...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 06:08:57 pm »

So during Science Olympiad today I met this girl and she seemed really depressed and I asked her why and she told me she had completely bombed her event and I was like "Meh event shevent" but she insisted that her parents would be pissed off and disapointed as hell just like they're always pissed off and disapointed as hell. Then an hour later she was still pretty depressed and then she told me that she was actually sad because her dad had died a year ago today and her brother had called her to say that it was entirely her fault and if she had been a better daughter dad would still be alive. She also mentioned that her mother and stepfather agree with her brother. Then it was time for my event (Nerd pictionary. We got 2 words correct, which put us in third place. I drew one of the words (Cytoplasm) and guessed the other. (Genetic Mutation) Go me. Shiny bronze metal). When I got back she was playing cards and seemed cheerful. Then at the end of the day I saw her calling home to say that the awards ceremony was over and she needed to be picked up and hadn't won anything. She said her stepfather had been like "Why did you not place what kind of stupid not-placing idiot are you."

This sounds really bad what do I do.
Wow, what a bunch of douche bags. I would tell her to not take their shit.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 06:27:32 pm »

Wait do you NOT like her

I am not sure where in my OP I implied that I liked her. Here is the condensed version of events.

Quote from: This Thread
SHADOW: Oh hey that girl is cute. Maybe I should talk to her.

GIRL: woes, crazyness

SHADOW: Oh no what do I do forums

FORUMS: Whatever you do, DO NOT DATE HER

SHADOW:what if she wants me to? what do I do then. At that point my only options are to reject her which would be painful or to go to the special hell which would be painful
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 06:30:52 pm »

SHADOW:what if she wants me to? what do I do then. At that point my only options are to reject her which would be painful or to go to the special hell which would be painful
Oh I get it.

That's quite the conundrum.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 07:52:37 pm »

Quote from: This Thread

The question is of disentangling your feelings for her as a potential girlfriend from your feelings for her as a depressed person who needs help.  We cannot do this for you, and I would generally suggest getting to know her better before you make any sort of decision.  You can date her without going to the special hell.  You just have to make sure you know yourself very well, first.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 08:41:13 pm »

Or you could just avoid the subject of her family at all costs!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2010, 12:06:59 am »

Wait do you NOT like her

I am not sure where in my OP I implied that I liked her.
You implied it by recounting the whole conversation in the way that guys do when they met some girl they're smitten with

Oh Jesus

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 12:38:06 am »

This one doesn't seem like it'll be a problem; talked to her at lunch yesterday and she seemed completely normal. I think if I hadn't actually witnessed the semi-breakdown I would never have known.

It's likely that if you make yourself available to her as someone who will listen to and support her, you'll see more of things that she's not displaying to everyone she meets, which may probably will include more stuff that requires more listening and support. Not that that's bad, just something to be aware of before you get into it.

You don't try to take advantage of her emotional problems to get with her

This is the difficult one.  I mean, I don't want to sound like a rapist. Certainly my goal here is to improve the lives of OTHERS, not me.  I'm not going to sit down and think "Now how can make this situation end with me having a chick."

That said, what if I give the wrong impression? What if she gets the idea? What do I say then? "Sorry, but I can't date you on account of you're crazy?"

The first step, I think, is to decide if you want to date her, potential crazy and all. I think that's a choice you need to make, not one for The Forums to make, since you're the one who knows her. That said, dating her just because she's a cute girl probably isn't a good idea, since it sounds like deciding to date her will mean committing to a non-trivial amount of emotional support. You likely won't be able to just avoid the subject, as cowofdoom suggests.

If you decide that you're willing to take that on, there isn't any particular reason not to go for it. Talk to her more, show interest in her (in a friendly way, of course), support her, and she'll likely open up to you slowly until you feel ready to more formally "ask her out". Be aware that pushing her to open up more will just slow things down, and making sure that you always make it clear that you accept her for who she is will speed things up. Doing that (even if you do go your separate ways in a few years) will not get you into the special hell[1], so don't worry about that, and assuming you aren't a total jerk you'll likely keep her as a close friend.

If you decide that you aren't, make sure you set firm boundaries. It sounds like you'd like to help her regardless of the dating question, so the first bit of the preceding paragraph is still relevant. The best way to support her is to help her see that not everyone is like her family, and the best way to (initially) do that is to be friendly and supportive to her. Since on this path you aren't aiming for dating, it's likely enough to just talk to her and not demean her. Longer-term, you'll probably want to try to introduce her to other people you think she'll get along with, and then that group can provide support and stuff for her without you shouldering a lot of the load.

Likely, in the second situation, dating will never come up, but if it does a reasonable response is something along the lines of "I see you as a [close] friend, and enjoy spending time with you (which you seem to) and care about you (which you also seem to), but I'm not interested in you that way.". It helps if you can give some other reason (most commonly, "I'm already in a relationship" or "I don't feel like I'm ready for a relationship right now", since those both shift the reason onto you rather than being a rejection of her. In the second case, don't go start a relationship with someone else shortly afterward), but your basic goal is to reinforce the idea that you are not rejecting her as a person, you just don't have dating-oriented feelings for her.

Either way, I hope it goes well.

[1] You'd only really end up in the special hell in my book if you used her bad situation to pressure her into doing things that she didn't want to do but felt like she had to in order to feel accepted/supported/cared for. That doesn't seem like the route you're going for here at all.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2010, 01:12:27 am »

This is what will happen:

If you let yourself fall for her, you'll get friend-zoned and end up the crying shoulder but nothing else

If you refuse to become emotionally attached, she'll be all over you.

Murphy's law.
Shoes...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2010, 01:13:13 am »

^ Disagree.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2010, 01:37:58 am »

^Disagree with the disagreement. <_<;
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4