Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dealing with fire imps/fire men.  (Read 989 times)

SeanTucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dealing with fire imps/fire men.
« on: March 03, 2010, 08:43:49 pm »

I have a magma vent in my map, and it has one fire man and about 6 imps. What in the name of all that is good and holy do I do to get rid of them?

Losing is fun, but not on your original 7 and before you can actually get anything done.

Dendou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with fire imps/fire men.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 08:54:56 pm »

You could arm a crossbowdwarf, or train an elite fighter.

Or, for the non-military methods, you can avoid the actual pipe and dig out a magma containment room with a channel to bring magma from the pipe to that room and leave a 2 tile wide wall between your channel and the pipe.  Smooth, (d) (s), the part of that wall that is next to your channel and then carve fortifications, (d) (F), into that smoothed wall.  Then channel, (d) (h), out the tiles on the pipe side from the Z level above, in order to prevent dwarf death.

Or, you can try to floor or wall off the pipe opening and leave only one exit and guard that exit with traps (weapon, cage, stonefall, or whatever).  Then make a bunch of noise to lure them all out.

*edit

personally I like to use cage traps on them.  I have modded their raws so that I can have war imps :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 08:59:19 pm by Dendou »

Ohtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 08:56:46 pm »

Well, you can do complicated things with tunneling, unreliable things with fortifications and make a point of only accessing magma under the part of each magma powered structure that prevents things from climbing out... or you can go into the raws and change their temperature tolerance to 10000, which will cause them all to evaporate in a cloud of smoke when you reload. Which is what I did after losing a promising fort to the buggers setting the woodlands on fire.
"He who fights with monsters should take care lest he become a monster… when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you…"
-Friedrich Nietzsche

SeanTucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 08:59:00 pm »

Well, you can do complicated things with tunneling, unreliable things with fortifications and make a point of only accessing magma under the part of each magma powered structure that prevents things from climbing out... or you can go into the raws and change their temperature tolerance to 10000, which will cause them all to evaporate in a cloud of smoke when you reload. Which is what I did after losing a promising fort to the buggers setting the woodlands on fire.

As cheaty as this is, I think this is the option I'll go with.

I made a point of finding magma so that I'd have an EASIER time of things, and having bastards hurling fireballs at my dwarves isn't exactly easier.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 09:40:22 pm »

Fire imps are easy to deal with though. Fortifications let magma through but keep fire imps out. Seal the access tunnels and let the magma through a fortification, or if you aren't into somewhat cheating you can use a bauxite grate or iron/steel/nickel/nickel silver bars (though skeletal imps can break bars). Or, if you want to do it the hard way, bauxite mechanisms as either cage, stonefall, or weapon traps loaded with magma-proof weapons (bauxite stonefall traps work well enough). Or you could use a cave in to plug the magma access chamber, sealing the imps out. Since they usually move slow it wouldn't be a problem, and even if one got out an untrained peasant can wrestle them to death easily.

They aren't hard to deal with, really won't be until next version when they will spawn rather than just exist.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 09:49:34 pm »

Fire imps are easy to deal with though. Fortifications let magma through but keep fire imps out. Seal the access tunnels and let the magma through a fortification, or if you aren't into somewhat cheating you can use a bauxite grate or iron/steel/nickel/nickel silver bars (though skeletal imps can break bars). Or, if you want to do it the hard way, bauxite mechanisms as either cage, stonefall, or weapon traps loaded with magma-proof weapons (bauxite stonefall traps work well enough). Or you could use a cave in to plug the magma access chamber, sealing the imps out. Since they usually move slow it wouldn't be a problem, and even if one got out an untrained peasant can wrestle them to death easily.

They aren't hard to deal with, really won't be until next version when they will spawn rather than just exist.

I don't know about fortifications specifically, but I've had fire imps get pushed through grates.

My preferred option now is to build a pump right next to the pipe. Not only is it a foolproof way to keep the imps out, but it also adds pressure to the magma so that it flows to wherever you need it faster.