Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: TBS New Hope Revival Turn 1: Luck disproportion & casaulties  (Read 5213 times)

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
TBS New Hope Revival Turn 1: Luck disproportion & casaulties
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:36:05 pm »

A remake of EagleV's game.

Spoiler: Background (click to show/hide)

This is a turnbased strategy forum experiment. I want 3 players, who can post once every 48 hours, 24 if everyone agrees. The idea is to put you in charge of a band of survivors, that have to battle or negotiate for scarce resources - water and food, maybe even territory, or useful tools. Seeing as your group will have miners, you can expand your bunker fort to serve as HQ a city. Or you can set up camp in a building, or even venture outside the dome horizon - if you dare.

RP is not strictly necessary. After all, this is an experiment, not an RP. However, [build X of Y - explore place Z] will do just that, while a few lines of elaboration combined with a good roll might grant you a bonus.

A word on the experiment part: the rules might very well have flaws or be inbalanced. If you spot something I have overlooked, please tell me. If one faction gets an advantage due to an unfair rule, I will change the rule and might give that faction a disadvantage to partially compensate the unfair advantage. I want players that can accept setbacks, rule changes, and accidental unfairness.

Spoiler: The Rules (click to show/hide)

Players:
Chedarrius
Orange
45 Warriors, 15 Crafters, 5 Rogues, 25 Wizards 10 Priests

inteuniso
Gold Staffs
45 warriors, 20 wizards, 20 crafters, and 15 priests.

Acanthus117
50 warriors, 15 wizards, 20 crafters, and 15 priests

Yarnspinner
The Red Faces
40 Warriors / 20 Craftsmen / 20 Wizards / 10 Priests / 10 Scouts Rogues

dragnar
The Silver Sorcerers
40 warriors, 25 wizards, 25 crafters, and 10 priests

Criptfeind

ExKirby

Primary group:

Secondary group:

Fixed the mistake with food and water

Map of the realm: Pick a tile, any tile to head to. You start at D4. More importantly you can't stay at D4, or you'll all starve. Each tile has tiles of it's own, and those tiles (normal roguelike screen size) have tiles of it's own (size of a bunker of the original game.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 06:43:17 pm by Rooster »

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: TBS New Hope Revival
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 06:00:37 pm »

In!

This game was awesome.

Are we still going to follow the use of the "materials system" with the five tiers?

I would kinda suggest to bring in the rules from the old game (the good ones, at least) into the new one.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 06:44:19 pm »

In!

We'll be the Iron Sabers, with red as our color!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 06:48:09 pm by Acanthus117 »
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Yarnspinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 06:48:24 pm »

Waiting list please.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 06:51:14 pm »

Waiting list please.

Also do people drink/eat one unit a week or do they only start with enough for less than half a turn?

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 07:41:01 pm »

Waiting list please.

Also do people drink/eat one unit a week or do they only start with enough for less than half a turn?

-300 units of water. (people use 1/week each, not counting the re-sanitized.)
-300 units of food. (people use 1/week each)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 08:00:38 pm »

-300 units of water. (people use 1/day each, not counting the re-sanitized.)
-300 units of food. (people use 1/day each)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 09:31:48 pm »

This looks interesting... In! (or waiting list since it sounds like it's full)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 09:33:56 pm »

-300 units of water. (people use 1/day each, not counting the re-sanitized.)
-300 units of food. (people use 1/day each)

Every turn takes 1 day. week on the beginning, then after much time, I'll move to months, then to seasons.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 09:35:24 pm »

This looks interesting... In! (or waiting list since it sounds like it's full)

ehh, there's one moar slot.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 09:39:34 pm »

Oh, I shall be the Gold Staffs, with:

5 warriors, 10 wizards, 10 crafters, and 5 priests.

There isn't another slot. It's me, Cheddarius, and you.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 08:20:15 am »

If it's only one more player then I'm okay with 4. Looks like 5 it is! But this might take some time per turn tho
In the original it was one unit a day.
Since I moved to weeks it's only fair to make units of food and water be counted as week's worth.

As you might have seen I made 3 materials. Materials (wood and stone, mostly used for buildings), Metal, and MAgical components, with the order of rarity:
Material
Metal
Components
Obviously.
Any rules you might suggest would be great, aaaaaaaaand Ascii draw map coming right up

Can somebody quote me the 5 tiers of technology so I can modify it?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 08:25:31 am by Rooster »

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
Re: TBS New Hope Revival : We're full so starting now!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 12:50:55 pm »

I am watching this. Wonder how the system translates to a different setting :)

EDIT: 5-tier system

Quote from: EagleV
1. Normal stuff, easy to build with scrappy scrap. Ex. Pipelines, walls, frames. Probably most static stuff, medieval weapons, etc.
2. Hard stuff, has a penalty to craft with scrappy scrap. Ex. Basic engines, mechanical devices, electric wiring, firearms (powder, compressed air). Has no penalty if you use some nice scrap, too.
3. Special stuff, can only be crafted with nice scrap. Ex. Electric devices, engines, calculators, modern weaponry (coil).
4. Sweet stuff, can only be crafted with nice scrap, with a penalty. Ex. Remote control, programmable calculators, comm systems, modern heavy weapons.
5. Epic stuff, cannot be crafted unless you find some Überscrap. What Nirur said, computers, auto-aim, flying vehicles (if you have a lot of it), computer systems.

Everything 3 or more difficulty will need blueprints, and scientists working on it. Note that many devices will require eg. a special engine and normal frame, thus requiring scrappy scrap and nice scrap, and having scientists and crafters working on it.

Scientists can only work with nice scrap. Crafters only with scrappy scrap. Überscrap will require both.

So scrappy scrap would be pipes, plate iron, old rusted frames of whatever you can find, bolts, so on. Nice scrap is basic mechanics or electronics - switches, pilot lights, small chips, resistors, gearboxes, cardans, diodes, pneumatic or hydraulic components, stuff like that. Uberscrap includes electronic or high-end mechanic stuff, like computer components, sensors other than pressure, infrared senders and receivers, lasers and laser-activated sensors, high-capacity electromotors, so on.

Ofc, this will still have to be fantasy-fied.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 12:58:26 pm by EagleV »
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 03:03:05 pm »

Yeah, thanks.
And surprisingly awesome the creator shows up. That's always cool.

1. Normal stuff, easy to build with materials. Ex. doors, walls, frames. Probably most static stuff, medieval weapons, etc. You will rely on stone daggers a good chunk of time
2. Hard stuff, has a penalty to craft with materials. Ex. Catapults, engines of non magical nature. Anything that can substitute mostly metal stuff. Mostly armor, pole arms, bashing weapons.
3. Advanced stuff, can only be crafted with metal. Ex. Proper swords, and metal armor. Materials can, and will be mixed somethimes to minimalise the costs in metal.
4. Powerfull stuff, can only be crafted with metal, with a little penalty when someone is unskilled with necessary components handling, uses a little of components. Ex.  things bordering on magic such as poisoned sword, or sword that somehow manages to give off electricity, but no magic was used
5. Magic stuff, cannot be crafted unless you find some components. Now this means anything really. While this are things made from components, nobody said they have to be *actually* magical, or need wizards and priests. For ex. healing potions use healing components, but once a person is skilled enough in making them, no extra effort necessary to make them. Expect flaming swords and the like

Everything 3 or more difficulty will need knowledge (a skilled person knowing what has to be done), and crafters, or wizards working on it. Note that many devices will require eg. a metal part and material skeleton, thus requiring metal and materials, and having wizards and/ or crafters working on it.

Wizards can only work with components. Crafters only with materials, and metal.

Materials is most versatile of resources, it can be ropes, wood, stone, bone, anything that's fairly common
Metal is obviously metal.
Components, is something that has no visible use, but you have to know it is usefull. This means, mushrooms, brain of a certain lizard, a fang of a certain carnivore, anything you could see going into a cauldron and so forth.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 03:15:23 pm »

In!
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5