Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Games that don't wait around for you  (Read 3684 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games that don't wait around for you
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 07:22:12 pm »

If I remember correctly, and I do, when you save the game in MGS3, when you come back, Snake(and EVA towards the end) will have slept, and, based on how long you were away, he will recover health and stamina, as well as your food items spoiling(also based on difficulty level), which can be a fun weapon if you've bombed an enemy food storehouse.

There was also Inindo: Way of the Ninja, where the various wars in Japan's Age of the Country at War happen as you play. As a matter of fact, you have about 20 years in game time to beat the game(by killing Oda Nobunaga) or Nobunaga will have conquered all of Japan. In fact, in order to reach Nobunaga, you'll have to convince one of the other daiymo to attack him. And yes, you can even join in the wars, as a spy, saboteur, or even an officer who uses ninja magic to summon a dragon.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 07:54:07 pm »

Part of me likes games like this, and part of me doesn't. On one hand I like the world to change as time passes, but I hate when there's a hidden long-term time limit like with Fallout 1 and 2.

I can dig a short-term time limit like Mario or Spelunky. But I can't play a game if I'm going to lose to the timer after 60 hours of gameplay. A change in the game setting, sure. But not just a cutscene and Game Over.

Spoiler: little side rant (click to show/hide)
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 08:21:24 pm »

KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 08:42:21 pm »

Come on... Fallout reminds you a thousand times to GET ON WITH THE MAIN TASK!  It's not that hard... There are worst games where you can't lose a single minute (literally) or you'll probably be fucked.  Kinda like MadTv... If you don't do it right the first time there's no coming back.  It only gets tougher.   
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 08:44:03 pm »

Dead Rising anyone?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 09:02:33 pm »

Part of me likes games like this, and part of me doesn't. On one hand I like the world to change as time passes, but I hate when there's a hidden long-term time limit like with Fallout 1 and 2.

I can dig a short-term time limit like Mario or Spelunky. But I can't play a game if I'm going to lose to the timer after 60 hours of gameplay. A change in the game setting, sure. But not just a cutscene and Game Over.

Spoiler: little side rant (click to show/hide)

Fallout 1 had a very clearly marked timer, and Fallout 2 didn't have a time limit.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 03:58:06 am »

Oddly enough, I just went out and bought Way of the Samurai 3.

There's no explicit time limit like with 2 and 1 - so the plot'll pretty much wait for you, yeah - but in-game events won't.  For example, I went to an event where I was supposed to rescue someone.  My brother mentioned that I should try and pick up a weapon the enemies had there I hadn't seen before, I thought it was a good idea, so I stalled, beating up dudes for their loot.

But eventually, I took too long, and the guy I was there to save died.  Bad end.

The game's still got a clock this time, but you can see it now.  The game still stops time one you hit a "transition" period like in 2 - you know, when you got the jewel thing on your HUD, signifying that time will change once you leave your current area for the town map? - but the transitions are only daytime > nighttime and vice versa, as opposed to morning > noon > late noon, or what have you.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 04:53:25 am »

If you're into oldies (early 90s or so), check out Quest for Glory IV:  Shadows of Darkness.  It's something of a cross between an RPG and a classic adventure game (e.g. King's Quest, Monkey Island).  (...)  The series is awesome (minus the fifth one, which is apparently crap), but the only one I know firsthand doesn't entirely wait for you is the fourth.

Quest for Glory II also doesn't wait for you. in certain parts at least.  I wasn't fond of that aspect of it actually.  Four elementals ravage the city for a day at a time, showing up at around the time you should be in the middle of the game--but they show up entirely on their own schedule, not on yours.  You have to correctly deal with each of them, on the day they show up.  I think there may be other timed issues, but I'm not sure.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 11:41:40 am »

Fallout 1 had a very clearly marked timer, and Fallout 2 didn't have a time limit.
Actually, I heard they both had a hidden several-year timer (13-year for FO1, I think). But I never played around that long to find out since you pretty much end up omnipotent before even half that time limit passes.

And speaking of Fallout 1, I just remembered:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2010, 11:56:09 am »

Was going to say Avernum 3 and Star Control 2: Ur-Quan Masters but they've already been mentioned -

So now I guess I need to try this space rangers game? :P

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 11:56:57 am »

Well, "it was supposed" is not the same as "it's done" :). Fallout 1 has only a Water Chip time limit, and it was pretty straightforward that people need water... After that, and in Fallout 2, there's no set time limit, it's your imagination :P.

I remember I've ended the game about llevel 46.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 12:17:11 pm »

Quote from: Deon
Well, "it was supposed" is not the same as "it's done" :). Fallout 1 has only a Water Chip time limit, and it was pretty straightforward that people need water... After that, and in Fallout 2, there's no set time limit, it's your imagination :P.

I remember I've ended the game about llevel 46.

Hey you're right, now that I think about it, in FO2 the thing happens to the place when you get to it regardless of how long it took.
And FO1 has a second timer after the water chip one. A patch removes it.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 12:22:47 pm »

What about the Battlecruiser series? In ACM especially, stuff happens whether you're there or not, which is usually not a good thing when you're supposed to be there.

Alternately, the second generation Pokemon games(Gold, Silver, and Crystal, dunno about later versions) have a built-in clock, and stuff happens like Pokemon in day-care leveling up. If the battery in my Silver version is still working, I'll bet I have a level 100 Ditto(for breeding purposes) because of the YEARS it's been there.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 12:26:24 pm »

The problem with Battlecruiser is that it is horrible.

So, so horrible.
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 12:30:15 pm »

I wasn't aware of any plot in the BC series whatsoever. I guess it's buried too deep.

In similar lieu then, I can point at the Enemy Engaged series, where stuff happens on the battlefield whether or not you choose to accept the missions given to you.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 [2] 3