Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Founding of Banecrypts by The Onslaught of Suffering  (Read 735 times)

uioped1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Founding of Banecrypts by The Onslaught of Suffering
« on: March 03, 2010, 02:17:55 am »

When I saw the names that had been generated for this fort, I knew I had to write it up.  I hope you enjoy the story of Mothdast Omshit and Ugogmomuz.

Date: 1 Granite, 301   Rakust Bolttours
There has been nothing noteworthy to report for the last week.  Morale has not improved, and the snow that's been increasingly falling as we've gained elevation has not improved anything.  What little of the rocks in the streambed we can see give hopes that there are rich mineral deposits in these hills, although with all the ice we cannot get a good reading.  The grumbling of these fools is really wearing me thin.  I try to remind them that I've managed to prevent any casualties on our journey, we haven't had to melt water for drink, and no one's lost their toes, but they just grumble all the same.
Date: 10 Granite, 301   Obok Sunbell
Today I found a large nugget of copper just downstream from a dry canyon leading down from one of the higher foothills.  After much protest from Rakust who was worried about exposure once we left the shelter of the forested area, we all had a vote, and she was overruled.  Thank Domas, I am so fed up with hearing how her great leadership had saved all our lives.
Date: 11 Granite, 301   Rakust Bolttours
Yesterday after Obok found a very nice copper nugget, I decided we should make a detour to examine an arroyo that leads down from a lesser peak marked on my map as Banecrypts.  What a strange name.  Anyway, this bane has turned into a boon!  There was nothing particularly exciting geologically, and sadly no more copper, but we have just crested the lip of the canyon and were greeted with a most welcome odor that we have not smelled since leaving the mountainhome.  Ah, nothing says home like brimstone!  We didn't even have to hold a vote.  The look on everyone's faces was unanimous.  Tomorrow we will break camp for the last time.
Date: 12 Granite, 301   Official minutes of the Onslaught of Suffering
It has been adopted that we will establish our fortress here in light of the presence of promising mineral deposits, beneficial flora, and Indication of volcanism in the area.
As such I turn over leadership of the expedition to Bomrek Ivorypost, noting our adequate supplies, general good health, and the good time we have made on our journey.
I also note the dangers of the area, particularly the giant eagles that frequent this area and the goblin patrols we passed some weeks past, and urge that appropriate defenses are constructed forthwith.
I spotted some mountain goats which will make a nice change from the salted fish we brought with us.  I will harvest them, and then set about gathering some wood.
Glory to Mothdast Omshit! and to Nelzurgeshud!

<edited for spelling>
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 12:37:13 pm by uioped1 »

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: The Founding of Banecrypts by The Onslaught of Suffering
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 02:28:40 am »

This has just been started and I already am enjoying it.

Is this going to be a community fort?
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

uioped1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 12:08:48 pm »

I'm glad you like it.  If there's interest, I'll be happy to share the saves and turn this into a community fort.  It was just a fort I was starting for fun, or really FUN (my goal was to not be too safe.)  But I got inspired.  I mean really, the Onslaught of Suffering?  How badass is that?

Anyway, here's a short next segment to keep you interested...

Date: 3 Slate, 301   Bomrek Ivorypost
Ah, so much to do.  We drew Whiskers, and Lolor and Zaneg took up the picks and have set about carving us a shelter into the good rock at the top of the ravine where we have settled.  Good progress has been made.  Soon we will all have proper shelter.  The rest of us have been helping out as we can, hauling our supplies inside, clearing rocks out of the way, etc.  We're all liking Rakust better now that she doesn't bear the weight of responsibility.  The fact that she handily brings in meat as fast as we can eat it makes it that much better.
Obok has taken to sneaking off when she thinks no one's paying attention.  I suspect that she's out prospecting.  This hasn't been a problem, previously, as there hasn't been much for us to do while we wait for the excavators to clear the tunnel, but she didn't return to camp last night, and I'm getting worried.  She probably struck a rich vein, and has the lust upon her.  Nevertheless, I've asked Rakust to see if she can track her down.

Date: 5 Slate, 301   Bomrek Ivorypost
Late last night Rakust returned with tragic news.  She had discovered Obok's corpse  just over the next ridge, lying next to the corpse of a troglodyte.  When she went to retrieve it, she was set upon by a band of the foul creatures, which she valiantly slew.  However, the sounds of battle attracted an antman.  Fearing that more would follow, she retreated, until it was clear that they were alone. Exhausted, she struck the chitinous creature down, and returned with the news.
Kadol volunteered to attempt to retrieve the corpse while Rakust recouperated, and he was successful.  He reports finding a large vein of copper near the body, and also seeing more antmen and troglodytes in the area.  We'll all have to be on our guard!

Date: 17 Slate, 301   Bomrek Ivorypost
We lay Obok to rest today (Literally -- it was a group effort, as four seperate dwarves carried her body a few steps before stopping to get a drink.)  I can't say I blame them;  When I took my turn, the smell was a little hard to bear.  We laid her to rest at the spot where we voted to settle here.  It seems fitting, after all it was thanks to her we found this spot.  We had already discussed placing a plaque there, now perhaps we will have to do something nicer.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 01:29:46 pm »

Oh poor Obok.

I am confused by what you mean't when you said, "I'll be happy to share the saves and turn this into a community fort."
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.

uioped1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 12:16:37 am »

Uhh, I guess I didn't realize there was a difference in all these types of community games.  I assumed you meant a succession game.  What did you mean?

Anyway, if there's enough interest from people in whatever, I'm open to it.  I just am having fun writing up this game.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 12:50:48 am »

I meant the type of game where players 'request' dwarfs.

Succession game sounds fun also...But I'd only do it if there was enough interest, as you said.