Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unuseable and undestroyable stairs?  (Read 3403 times)

jugglervr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unuseable and undestroyable stairs?
« on: March 03, 2010, 01:45:58 am »

version 0.28.181.40d18

I'm pretty sure this is a bug, but I'll outline what i've got and how i got here (the steps to get here are a little muddy, but the gist is:).

3-wide hallway. I decide to dig down a few levels, so i designate a down staircase, then below that, and up/down and so on for a few levels.
Then I decide I want to go up a level from my initial, so i build an up stairs and clear out a room one level up. Then i notice that my miner is trapped a level below my starting place. I decide to destroy the constructed stair and re-make it. When I re-make it, it still doesn't connect to the lower shaft, AND it doesn't connect to the upper room AND i can't destroy it (at some point i also had down stairs that i removed with a channel, and then built up/down on top of that). so what i've got, from a side view is this:

X big room
x original hallway
X trapped dwarf
X exploratory shaft

they're all stacked on top of each other, and all designated up/down stairs, but the x in the original hallway isn't functioning and can't be destroyed (i've tried d-u, d-x, d-n, even d-d and d-h.

would be happy to send a savefile if someone wants to glance.

jugglervr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unuseable and undestroyable stairs?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 02:17:03 am »

eh. figured i'd link it anyway, in case anyone was interested.

http://gameknave.com/files/df_stairs.zip

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 06:36:15 am »

Tried loading the save with vanilla 40d, 40d16 and 40d18, all of them give:
"FATAL_ERROR Missing Creature Body Definition: CAT_MOUTH:

What version and mods do you use?

Edit:
Ok it worked with 40d Mayday Pack.

I see a miner who have no way to escape, because up-down stairs above him are not yet constructed, what is wrong here?

Edit2:
It seems that noone was going to take the constructing job until I ordered the stairs to be built from basalt, in which case they succesfully built them and the trapped miner could escape.

Not sure what was wrong but it is possible that you tried to build stairs form material which was accessible to stairs but not to any of the builders. For example from above of them. Needs more testing.

Edit3: No, you used the stone from under the stairs, from where the trapped miner were, but the said miner had "Masonry" labor not enabled, so there were noone to take the materials and build the stairs.
Your fault then. :P

Hope I helped. ;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 07:01:18 am by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

jugglervr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 05:40:48 pm »

Tried loading the save with vanilla 40d, 40d16 and 40d18, all of them give:
"FATAL_ERROR Missing Creature Body Definition: CAT_MOUTH:

What version and mods do you use?

Edit:
Ok it worked with 40d Mayday Pack.
errr. yep. sorry. Didn't realize the mayday pack was so far removed from normal game functionality. that's actually a little disturbing; will i not be able to switch tilesets with my current saves if i use the mayday pack?

Edit3: No, you used the stone from under the stairs, from where the trapped miner were, but the said miner had "Masonry" labor not enabled, so there were noone to take the materials and build the stairs.
Your fault then. :P
is it? when i'd "k" over the staircase designations, nothing told me they weren't completed; it just said that it was a staircase... I had to "q" over them to know they weren't finished. Also, it seems a little buggy to offer unreachable stone for a project.
I know this is mostly an artifact of the "alpha" stage of the game; i just wish these guys would accept some help to solve some of the UI problems. To say that the game isn't very ergonomic is the understatement of the epoch.

Hope I helped. ;)
immensely. thanks for taking a look at it! I hated the idea of leaving broken stairs lying around while I tried to build next to them (though i guess once i let the trapped miner out, someone else would go get the stone to build the stairs with the new path)

onward to finish this damn tutorial (again) so i can embark and make my own silly fort!

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 03:58:57 pm »

is it? when i'd "k" over the staircase designations, nothing told me they weren't completed; it just said that it was a staircase... I had to "q" over them to know they weren't finished. Also, it seems a little buggy to offer unreachable stone for a project.
I know this is mostly an artifact of the "alpha" stage of the game; i just wish these guys would accept some help to solve some of the UI problems. To say that the game isn't very ergonomic is the understatement of the epoch.
Let me join the discussion and hopefuly make your problems a bit more clear than a vomit of a cave adopted dwarf when he sees the sun for the first time after 20 season:

I have not tested the save because I use not the Mayday Pack. But as far as I understand the game and your problem, your stone was not unreachable. Thinking about it, would it not be strange for the game to offer you for construction, for example, a stone you dumped in magma pipe but then removed the dump tag? While dwarfy it may be for a masons to actually try to get the stone, this will in fact not happen. Because stone is still in magma and thus unreachable, ergo, game will not offfer it to you. The same if in a carp infested river, chasm,...or in a unreachable minning shaft few z leyers down.
Your chosen material on the other hand, was reachable by exactly one dwarf - the miner. And so it WAS reachable by a dwarf, not necessarily a mason. Probably even shown as the closest material. In my humble opinion, this be no bug, aye?
As for the "k" and "q" - "k" is for "look around" and displays different things, in fact it just shows all the things on the chosen square. The "q" is used to "Set Building Tasks/Prefs". So this are quite different comands that can be used for different things. I take it you are not playing DF for a long time so remember that "q" is a magical letter for all tasks/buildings! ;)

And about UI - I absolutely love it. Once you get used to it, it's simply marvelous and would not change it for any different keyboard combination or even, gosh, a computer mouse. And stating it is not ergonomic is indeed a very harsh thing say. :P
But everyone has his own preferences.

I made a mess, have I not?  ;D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 04:01:03 pm by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.