Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Stop immigrants and starting dwarves from appearing with  (Read 1537 times)

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stop immigrants and starting dwarves from appearing with
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 11:57:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrion:
<STRONG>Why kill immigrants?  Goblin and kobold thieves give my fortress something like *9000 a year in designer duds.  A little ridiculous if you ask me - I barely have to worry about making trade goods.</STRONG>
Agreed with both this and the OP.

I have a similar problem with the goblins hauling in steel everything.

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 02:14:00 pm »

Yeah, that's something that I've found rather strange about the latest version - humans, goblins and (I'm fairly sure) kobalds all have access to steel weapons and armor. I had thought that only dwarves were supposed to have steel... or at very least, only humans and dwarves should have steel.

I think that the goblins should really be using a mix of iron/copper/bronze/leather/bone, with maybe their (weapon)masters using steel.

And yeah, nothing (or almost nothing - I like the idea that nobles/high ranked units start with it) should start with giant spider silk.

I mean, I've killed a kobald that was wearing a giant spider silk thong. Worth like 600*. A thong. My fortress should not be able to buy out entire caravans with the loot from a couple of kobalds and a goblin snatcher or two.

[ November 26, 2007: Message edited by: AlStar ]

Elvenshae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 12:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fedor:
<STRONG>I have a similar problem with the goblins hauling in steel everything.</STRONG>

I don't - given that my fortress has no flux materials, but a wealth of iron ore, melting down the stuff goblins bring in is the only way I can get steel bars.

Patryn of Elvenshae

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 09:04:00 pm »

Import some?

Elvenshae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 10:44:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Grek:
<STRONG>Import some?</STRONG>

Ah, yes - the ol' 3 bars at a time technique.  How many years, then, should I wait before I can make some steel armor?  :D

Patryn of Elvenshae

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2007, 07:51:00 am »

The point about the common occurance of giant cave spider stuff is valid. If it is not rare, it should not be worth so much. How, for instance, can peasants afford to wear it?
Values are easily modified in the RAWs anyway.

About goblins wearing steel... just no.
That suggests that goblins possess an infrastructure on par with dwarves. The Goblins have never struck me as being capable of this.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2007, 12:25:00 pm »

So THAT'S why my "imported wealth" is always 10,000x greater than my exported wealth.
Pages: 1 [2]