Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moonsyrups, Year 30  (Read 798 times)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moonsyrups, Year 30
« on: March 02, 2010, 06:44:49 pm »

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-8181-moonsyrups

Some of ya'll might remember back in September I was working on a fortress that promised to be an infinite labor sink. My goal was to relocate the entire volcano into the fortress walls with an intricate, safe, and adaptable magma storage system which I came to call The Magmazine.

It's now finished, after some 15 years of work. The goal of collecting enough Iron, which would normally be met by abusing the traders and goblins for over a decade, was supplemented and sped up by transmuting rocks and dimple cups into Iron. Two dwarves worked their way to become Legendary Metalsmiths in the process of creating, melting, and recreating iron furniture to produce Exceptional and Masterwork pieces. No metal object in the fort is below this quality, as I sat there and removed it all as I had better-quality stuff to replace it with.

In any case, take a look around and enjoy this complicated and active fortress. My next set of goals revolve around the cave river and cave pond, as I intend to get a reservoir working.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Moonsyrups, Year 30
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 07:00:15 pm »

Your probably going to hear this a lot, but that place is small HUGE

Why did you pick such a big embark area?
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moonsyrups, Year 30
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 08:45:29 pm »

Your probably going to hear this a lot, but that place is small HUGE

Why did you pick such a big embark area?

I wanted to make use of a very large region. This was to be my final fortress in 40d, and I wanted to prove that embark size is not the true cause of bad FPS. For reference, my friend Juice made a 2x2 nanofort recently on similar hardware to mine and got unplayable FPS a short while into construction, whereas mine purrs at 20-33 FPS even in the worst of times, when magma and stone are being moved about. I'm not sure what I have done that keeps the FPS smooth, but I think it has to do with reducing the number of 3D paths around the map (specifically, ramps) to cut down on the geometric complexity of pathfinding. I removed a lot of ramps around the entire map so dwarves would have to take ground level paths instead of goating their way over the mountains.

A couple other tricks, I never export anything except roasts, and I use the most expensive ones I can. I crush anything that's "trash" in a trash compactor so fewer items are around the fort, I dump all the stone on one tile so the game doesn't have to look all over the place when counting and searching for more stones. I also edited the pathfinding weight values in the INI to 1:1:2:5, this can lead to immediate FPS improvements. G_FPS is capped at 20, and game fps at 100.

Anyway, the dwarves work or have worked all around the map, I like to think of it as a theme park with many regions and attractions... :)
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.