Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Civ Rise - The Beginning  (Read 5551 times)

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
Re: Civ Rise - The Beginning
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2010, 11:14:36 pm »

the turn will close tomorrow at midnight, so you have 24 hours approximately to decide. Also as long as we are waiting on someone you are free to change your goals at any time. Once the last person posts (and I am on) then its pencils down. :P

Edit: the Unborn/infants are children who are to small to do anything. by next year they will join the ranks of the children and some of your children will join the ranks of adults. year 3 some of your adults will start join the ranks of the elderly. hopefully a balanced cycle will start to form

Edit2: I keep missing peoples questions.
I thought we had wheel technology. Do we at least know how to make fires?

What would be the first +foraging technology?

basic carrying equipment. probably baskets or something. these would also have a synergy with (weaving) for woven baskets.

You are able to make fires, and can cook and boil water with the fire. however you don't necessarily know how to make something that is fire proof to hold the water to boil it. as you will also know tech is non linear also later on you can trade other tribes for the information relating to technologies they have researched. or it can be taken by force. or coaxed out of prisoners, or acquired through spies. this will probobly be the hardest seeing how different y'all look.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 11:38:43 pm by Bloogonis »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2010, 11:52:47 pm »

I really hope us Stickfolk don't get into a wrestling contest with those Khymmerians or Durhan.

I've a feeling that our first contact will either be peaceful or end up with my entire tribe going Guerrilla.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2010, 12:57:16 am »

@Bloogonis

I mean, the mad/retarded/ADD king of the Kapai tribe of Kappas explicitly wanted to have some research of powerful wooden sticks, or wooden weapons. Even a spear, a club, or something similar will suffice I suppose.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2010, 02:53:57 am »

well that was rather uneventful for my tribe. However, it did leave me with several questions.

I read the thing about religion, and I do have plans for my guys to have religion eventually, just hasn't been first on the list of things to do. Other than the random divine events, is there any downside for not having a religion yet?

Second, it looks like all the gathered materials were used for two buildings. I assume yes?

And how much does the longhouse shelter? Is it enough for the whole of the current population?

Also, I suppose I need to have some of my population actively research to gain anything? as I saw nothing pertaining to animal husbandry in there. (was kinda hard to read anyway, spoilers are better than code for me)

And since we had no births at all, does that mean I need to have part of the tribe actively breed? >.> kinda distressing to see some people with nearly 50 births over a year, and we didn't have a single new durhan. Not going to last long at this rate.

Lemme know, and I should be able to write up a plan for next year.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2010, 03:16:29 am »

oops thats a Hurr Durr on my part, I opened up everything to fix the oversite, and then promptly forgot why I had done so. I just did the role, it was a critical success. very sorry, you have them, Mangrove Wood Clubs lvl1 +1 Combat and a little bit over, would you like that to go into lvl2 clubs or some other wooden weapon?

Not having a religion does not have a downside. having a religion enters you into the Religious advancement cycle (similar to Cultural which is based on leadership) and it adds another event roll (Divine Happenings). Divine Happenings however will be largely based on your religious activity, the higher it is the higher chance of beneficial Happenings. however if you get unlucky rolls where natural disasters destroy places of worship, or Priests die, or you neglect your religion, that which you worship will become displeased and you risk Vengeful Happenings. Mostly overly theatrical hissy-fits your deity/entity/force/the universe throws. I probably wont start tallying neglect at all before the player actually uses religion in their RP or Goals. that way you would have actually registered the divine and it has noticed you.

Dedicated breeders will go about breeding as if it were a job and for that sample will have a second pregnancy roll as a result(the roll is not the same as the general roll), its not 100% shot of pregnancy but its pretty darn close to it. However two fumbled rolls would still amount to 0.

Longhouse will house about 60% of your population, having shelters is a good building block to grow you tribe, and will protect them from some of the dreaded Negative events. All with negative effects on the tribe itself, though only a few would be totally negated by proper housing.

Edit: Oh god I just got the worst feeling that the Mad Kappa King will research Wood Clubs to level 9999+ oh god, I have to think of when the lvl max is.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 03:23:22 am by Bloogonis »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2010, 04:12:53 am »

Aw, I like the mental image of an obviously unbalanced Kappa swinging a wooden club around with enough force to crack stone.  ;D
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2010, 09:09:25 am »

But it will be to no effect when you have been ambushed by those who appear to be a forest.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2010, 09:21:05 am »

I'll just invent the wheel then. Do you want us to make a new post when we change our actions, or is modifying the post fine?

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2010, 10:38:18 am »

A deep rolling chant echoed over the mountain's cliffs. Buffeted by the wind, it carried for miles, and continued for many hours before finally going silent.

Silver reached down and seperated the helmet from the last Durhan child who had gone still this previous year. Elderly stilling were understandable, but the young leader was worried about the loss of small children. The funeral dirge seemed to sink heavily into his magical core.

Silver ritualistically absorbed the small body then straightened his metalic form. The youngling's helmet would be laid to rest in the special hearth set aside from the main firepit. It may yet be several months before barrows could be dug for the spirit of the former durhans, until then, the helmets would be carefully arranged like a skull pile.

The sending took longer than he thought, and the morale of his people was lower than he would have liked for a new year. So, after talking with some of his advisers, Silver declared that midway through the first month of each year will be a celebration. A new Year's Festival. There would be a feast and some games of skill and prowess. Silver also thought secretly it would be a good time to try and nudge more pairs to create young Durhan. An act that had become incredibly intimate between two living armors.

The tall silver armor looked across the partially underground building at Red, as she bent over an elder with a fractured left knee pauldron. He took a moment to admire her light red, fur-lined berserker armor, making sure to be looking away in case her wolf's head helmet glanced his way. Perhaps he might even have some time for procreation himself during the festival.

Taking up a deer roll(a flattened piece of cliff deer meat wrapped in fragrent grasses and then dried) to savor later, Silver walked back to his own hearth and the merry little fire that burned there. He was quite pleased that the food stores had been completed on schedule, deep winter in the mountains held very little greenery, and even the dried stuff was better than none.

Going over the plans for exploration, gathering, building, and craftwork in his mind, the empty armor reclined easily on a long boulder placed for sitting against the lower mud wall of the longhouse. There was much to be done, and quite a bit of knowledge lost. Those working on tools may well waste precious materials in experiments, and many dangers faced those preparing to explore the local terrains. Silver just hoped that they wern't spreading themselves too thin.

actions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

goals:

Still not quite sure how Research works, but I guess my guys will try a tactic of learn while doing. Hopefully it will work.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2010, 11:15:45 am »

(OOC: into wooden bows, if we have archery by default, or wooden clubs 2.)

There are talks of the king actually faked his insanity. After all, while he seems to be highly indulged into cucumbers, he had partly built the longhouse which started to become the focal point of social life, gathered enough food to last for a year on half rations, and even provided with a prototype of a mangrove club. However, this is discussed taking the fact that the average Kapai does not understand conspiracy, save a few older intelligent individuals; the whole thing, thus, can be displaced as moot.

The Mad Kapai King one day stood on the ledge of the Unfinished side of the Longhouse and yelled:

"Me see all kapai strong. Me shall see more kapais strong.

Me shall see moar fish and cucumbers. Me want eat fish. Me want eat cucumbers.

Me want see longhouse build. Me not want in sun half day.

Me want see the world. Me want people to go all four directions. One direction one year.

Me want more cucumbers. Cucumbers are on vines. Vines are on ground. Put cucumbers in ground. We should see cucumbers.

The King thus spoke."

Puzzled by his showing of insanity, at least the kapais cared less and followed the orders of the king diligently.

Spoiler: Kapai actions (click to show/hide)

(OOC: If you want an "Le Roi est mort" event, just pop it at the right time. At this rate of aging, the mad king probably would not have too many turns to live.)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2010, 04:06:59 pm »

Actions: as said earlier.

Khymmerian tribe established a camp in the Caven. Leather hides from killed animals were used to cover the exit and preserve some cool air in the Caven, and elders discussed a posibility of usage of the leather as clothing.
Some males including the leader established a code of specific laws to make the work safer and evade unneeded casualties.

Priestesses of the Entangled Legs started to study the aspects of herbalism and healing, the results are unknown yet but it's better than nothing.

Children are more quiet now, disturbed by deaths of their friends. They are quite sad overall, although they try to not to show it.

The living Gazaks are nervous because of a smell of their dead cousins and because of the Khymmerians, and they cautiously lay in a corner of the Caven.

Some of the pregnant women, removed from a real and hard work, slowly tend to the ground, trying to plant seeds in the Caven.

Actions:

Goal of research: comfortable, useful and safe clothing for the desert.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 04:08:32 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2010, 05:01:24 pm »

But it will be to no effect when you have been ambushed by those who appear to be a forest.

So yeah, it's just occurred to me that Macbeth would scream.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2010, 12:06:25 am »

sorry, the update will be a little late. Ive been super busy today so it will be up tomorrow. I already have more then half the rolls done, I'm just starting to see double.

Research will kick in automatically if you try to do something you do not have the tech of/for so it wont waste (noted) resources and aside from large items, or items you do not have access to the materials required in hex the task is being done.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2010, 01:20:45 am »

It got kinda JPG'd, but here are my primitive sketches of the civilizations.

Key (Left to Right) Durhan, Dwarf, Beniamino, Saar, Kappa, Khymmerian (now with flaps!)

For some reason I didn't want to adjust the image height, so to fit in the huegmanoids that are khymmerian, I made it squeeze a rock. Heights are fairly accurate, plus or minus a foot.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2010, 05:52:09 am »

Cool scraps :P. I am sure other authors will fix their races' images when they have time, so for now it's the best we have.

Well, I've drawn my khymmerian hunter, you could see her in Fan Art thread.

Spoiler: carefulatwork (click to show/hide)

I will draw more, but a bit later. Too many things to do :).

sorry, the update will be a little late. Ive been super busy today so it will be up tomorrow. I already have more then half the rolls done, I'm just starting to see double.
Don't spend more of your Real Life than you can. :) We understand everything and we can always wait.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6