Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Civ Rise - The Beginning  (Read 5553 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Civ Rise - The Beginning
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2010, 10:33:35 am »

No, simple rulez or at least description of mechanics should be stated.
Or remove the numbers alltogether. Why should we assign "5" here and "10" here? We can just assign "some" then.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2010, 11:01:25 am »

Sorry about that, I edited the original post instead of adding a new one and you must not have seen it.

Spoiler: plans (click to show/hide)

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2010, 02:41:04 pm »

U agree with Nirur on this one, trial an error is the way to go. the rules on starvation are such that you wont be wiped out with a single year of 0 food. but any loss of life at this stage does effect your overall capabilities. Also areas do have difficulty ratings. I was surprised and glad no one requested a glacier embark, because that would be a nearly impossible location to survive.

I'm finishing up the rolls, it shouldn't be to long before this first turn ends.

This is also last call for anyone wishing to join for a while. once the first turn starts it there will not be new tribes(barring a global event) until area2 is found.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2010, 02:46:45 pm »

Speaking as a semi-experienced GM, I don't think you want more then seven players to start with. Even fairly simple games get annoying to update after a few weeks if they have too many players.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 03:03:15 pm by Nirur Torir »

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2010, 07:57:01 pm »

year 1
As the New year arrives many the tribes take in what they have gained and what they have lost. some fared better then others. Some learned much, pthers learned little. But all in all they have all taken their first major step toward civilization.
Code: [Select]
Beniamino

Religion No
Success! 100% Stone Celt lvl1 +1 Farming and 20% Stone Knives
Success! 100% Handled Axes lvl1 +1 gathering(wood) and 22% Bambo Shovels
87% Weaving
clearing the land is hard work, 1 oxgang cleared 15000 wood
50 Sturdy Houses built costing 1250 wood
Explore Bamboo forest  Nothing of interest found
Explore Bamboo forest Nothing of interest found. Attacked by angry monkeys. no losses
Search East: Grassland. Prairie Dog colony discovered, 8 brought back as food. the Prairie dogs went bad, meat dumped.
search south East: Bamboo Forest. Nothing of interest found
Feilds plowed and planted with random local flora producing 54 food over the entier year. your people are starving
2 children die
6 elderly die
4 elderly die of starvation
14 men die of starvation
4 women die of starvation
36 pregnancys
Random Event Yes Positive! As the year ends and the new year begins a Sprout emerges from the middle of the farm plot
It grows a large purple gord that is sweet and vety juicy it produces many seeds. None of your tribe
recognize the plant, it is a rare find indeed.+2 Farming with (Unnamed plant)
The Towering Cliffs of Sparkly Tables

Religion Yes
Fishing 19 75 38 Winter
Gathereing 112 169 56 Winter
Surplus of 69 food it is suggested you find some way of preserving it, or it will go bad.
Success! 100% Handled Axes lvl1 +1 Gathering(wood) and 3% lvl2
Foraged lumber 50
25 ramshacle shelters costing 50 wood.
2 children die
3 elderly die
22 pregnancys
Random Event No
Khymmeria

Religion Yes
Cultural No advancement
Search for Caven Success! you Find an expansive underground cavern the only curent residents apear to be a substancial colony of Desert Red Bats.
They seem to be mildly anoyed by your pressence.
Gather cave plants 3 5 3 0
5 5 5 10
Huntsmallpray 50 80 100 100
hunt large pray 0 0 0 0 (this surprised me, you got all single digit rolls for some reason)
Captured 11 Live Gazak, Slaughtered 5 in a time of need. 6 live Gazak
Desert atire 78%
Well Success! 100% well lvl1 7% lvl2
Martial Art "Scorpions Claw" 41%
5 children die
5 elderly die
27 pregnancy
Random Event No
Durhan

Religion No
scavenge Stone 90
Explore Forest Nothing of interest found
scavenge wood 33
Hunt 100 0 0 115
Traping 100 100 0 56
Gathering 16 16 8 Winter
Garher(forest) 32 16 16 0
Cunstruction of Food Store complete! 30stone 10 wood
Cunstruction of longhouse  Complete! 60stone 20 wood
Surplus food: 54 plant 115 meat stored.
3 children die
6 elderly die
0 Pregnancy
Event No
Edtopia

Religion Yes
Culture No
Zoology 62% (this is a synergistic technology that provides no bonuses on its own)
Hunting 315 315 0 winter
Gather 43 43 43 winter
Passive taming - you can not read the minds of animals. only time will tell if this process bears fruit. 100 meat spent
you prepare feild for agriculture, with your prudent planing you cause a slight bonus to the following years farming efforts.
It looks like a good maize harvest next year if the weather holds up.
Scavenge river stones 100
ropes 39%
Surplus food: 49 plant 210 meat unstored!
6 children die
5 elderly die
47 Pregnancy (I guess we know what the ed topians were doing with their free time :P)
Event Yes Positive! While several of the children play in the field they stumble across a rocky
                        outcropping. the most rotund of the children being being quite heavy causes a large boulder to become dislodged
                        revealing that at the outcroppings core is a large gemstone that glows with a dark green energy.
Saar

Religion yes
Stone Mattocks Success! 100% +1 digging/stone Gathering
50 stones gathered
80 wood gathered
rough shelters dug out success! 40stones 80 wood
Explore Craggy Woodland(NE) Nothing of interest found
gather 13 6 6 13
Gather(woods) 13 13 13 13 the woods are a boounty in comparison to the Badlands, if their time hadnt been divided they may have found more.
Explore badlands(NW) Your explorers get turned around and lost. 4men 4 women wereabouts unkown.
Explore Salt sea(W) your explorers find a narrow cove formed by rough breakers, and are able to bring back 8 leathery fish.
4 Children die
8 Elderly Die
10Men due to starvation
5women Due to starvation
0 Pregnancys
Event No
kapai

Religion No
Fishing 144 96 0 96
Gather 180 240 120 winter
Gather reeds 0
Gather wood 20
Construct longhouse for storage and dry quarters. partial success. Base built 20 wood
surplus food: 160 fish 230 Plant
Wooden Weapons Success! 100% Mangrove Wood Clubs lvl1 +1 combat 10% -
6 Children
8 elderly
18 Pregnancys
Event Yes Positive! A great storm washes over the wetland causing grate damage.
Once it had subsided it appears that none of the Kappa were harmed
and a large amount of drftwood has washed up, forming a roof for the longhouse and suplying 250 lumber.

[b]Regional Event![/b]
The winds have changed. All tribes receive +5 on Exploration rolls in Year 2

Let me know if the code text is to small, I will make it larger.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 03:50:34 am by Bloogonis »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2010, 09:03:02 pm »

Spoiler: Edtopian plans (click to show/hide)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2010, 09:08:12 pm »

sorry, but... where are my wooden weapon plans? Could I just assume a fail?

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2010, 09:58:22 pm »

wooden weapons? Oh the stone tools?

That's odd, I did the roll, and just copy pasted from the stat sheet and its there. it most have gotten eaten when I fixed some of the formatting, sorry! it was a dead hundred too, oh I see where I screwed up, I didnt specify what was learned. I must not have put a carriage return in there and glossed over it. fixing it now.

It gave me a hard time because while trying to find a good choice for the "stone tool" that fit your goal "digging" I kept getting thrown through wikiloop after wikiloop. you have Stone Mattoks lvl1 +1 digging/stone gathering

Edit: for those of you who have "Religion Yes" you can now do things of a religious nature and have it possibly result in "Divine Happenings". If you have "Religion No", temporary divine boosts such as sacrifices or prayers wont do anything, shrines and temples will also do nothing, until your tribe discovers religion. prayers that have a double use, ex. the "Sting of the Scorpion" which I assume is a mating ritual, would still count as individuals being tasked with breeding.

also remember that giving a group multiple tasks (10 men chop down trees and hunt elefants) will cause them to try and do both resulting in a 50% reduction in results.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:13:10 pm by Bloogonis »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2010, 10:14:56 pm »

It is the end of Winter. Children play, pretending they are fighting off some unknown force. Most of the adult dwarves are gathered in a semi-circle, listening to Adel speak. "The first year's the hardest. I plan for us to have moved safely underneath the mountains within five years; ten years at the most. Until then, we'll need to build more houses and a granary. Who would volunteer to map the mountains?"

A young, proud dwarf steps forward. "I, Zuntir, son of Udil, volunteer for the honor of exploring the mountains." One by one, nine other dwarves step forward as well, each stating a similar phrase.

Adel gives three claps. In unison, the crowd also gives three claps. "Very well, brave explorers. Take the surplus food gathered last year. Head towards the mountains. May you return swiftly."

The crowd remains reverently silent as the explorers leave.

Spoiler: actions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 09:20:05 am by Nirur Torir »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2010, 10:45:03 pm »

Oh god, starvation!

Current Population: 36 men, 46 women, 23 children, 21 elderly, 36 unborn?

Turn 2 of the Beniamino
In this past year, we have discovered many a thing, not the least of which is caution. Hunger has driven many people to death, but we will remedy that this year. Luckily, we now have enough tools to reap a mighty harvest of that plant that we found, which we have begun calling the 'Nanto' fruit.

We will learn from our mistakes. We have learned much.

36 men - Plant the plowed fields with rows of Nanto. Harvest when ready. Take VERY good care of the food this year. we don't want a repeat of last year.

46 women - Finish researching weaving. After the completion of the weaving research, they shall build a large square building in the middle of the village to hold harvests. Poles on the roof will support ropes to hang drying baskets from, which will contain seeds and Nanto Fruit that, once dehydrated, will be moved below and stored in the main room.

23 children - The older ones will help with the planting and plowing, the younger ones will weave.

21 elderly - 10 will make ropes to use later, 11 will gather wood from the cleared land. (in small loads, as they're old, but we have a year.)

36 unborn - If they're actually children, they can help with harvesting and small tasks such as carrying wood. Otherwise, grow strong, chaps!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 11:49:42 pm by Barbarossa the Seal God »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2010, 10:48:10 pm »

Shavar sat perched on the rocky side of the hill, his hard gaze fixed on the bushes below. The two others with him just waited, though they weren't sure what they were waiting for. But if Shavar was waiting to continue the hunt, he had a good reason.

Shavar was what passed for a leader now. The tribe didn't adhere to any strict principles of control, but not many were willing to question Shavar's general credibility, and that made him the leader until something said otherwise. He'd gotten his name from the giant vultures that soared over the badlands, and he'd gotten it the proper way- by assaulting one and driving it off its kill. Hunger had doubtlessly played a role in that decision, but success had meant he was their equal- and it was hard to object to having a shavar among the tribe.

Finally he began fluidly creeping down the hill, eyes focused on something. The other two began creeping down around his destination, ready to cut off anything that tried to flee.

Abruptly, Shavar lunged into the bushes, driving a flurry of rodents and birds from their hiding place. The one to Shavar's right hurled his spear at a small black bird as it flew past him, but the spear was awkward in the air, and it failed to hit. The one to Shavar's left hurled a small, appropriately shaped rock at a passing brown rodent, slamming it to the side long enough for him to leap on the morsel.

Shavar stood upright, a fairly large rodent in his mouth. The other successful hunter retrieved his rock and came back with the smaller rodent in his hand. The third gathered his spear and joined them somewhat sheepishly.

"Should have gone for the rodent to the left," Shavar said, using his hand to hold the rodent.
The failed hunter blinked.
"Didn't see it."
Shavar shook his head.
"Can't let one meal blind to another. Obscures the future that way."
He nodded in contrition, and the hunters continued their search.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also I was the one with digging tools, though I was wondering about that. evilcherry was referring to the 10 Kappa he had assigned to research.

On a related note, is there any difference between saying, "10 men gather wood and hunt elephants", and "5 men gather wood and 5 hunt elephants"?

EDIT: Barbarossa, you start with 50 men and 50 women, not 25. You're not doing THAT badly. :P
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 05:00:05 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2010, 10:54:47 pm »

Research functions by synergies. example, you can begin research on machine-guns right now, however there are so many interim technologies that you don't know, you will at most get a fraction of a percentage accomplished. and once it is done you will not have any of those interim technologies.

So you can invent the wheel barrow, without the wheel. it will simply take several turns (depending on how many people you throw into the project)as apposed to inventing the wheel and then inventing the wheelbarrow the following turn. granted it is not a certainty you will succeed on research the first go even with simple projects, and if you get two good rolls you may have wheelbarrows faster then getting two moderate rolls for wheel and then wheel barrow.

Also, moving one tile over has no cost. you can leave the food with your explorers in case they get lost, but most likely they will return with all the food they went out with still in hand. The farther you move out the risks increase and food would be needed but adjacent hexes are free and will only cost the 50% reduction in productivity of the group sent that year. once explored the region will not impose the 50% penalty.

Edit: yes, 10 men doing both jobs at the same time will be running all over creation doing both tasks at the same time, while 5 dedicated men can do the one job better. however just 5 men doing something might be to few to get any notable return.

10 men on 2 jobs would be gains multiplied by 10, and then multiplied by difficulty, divided then by two. while 5 men would be gains multiplied by 5 and then multiplied by difficulty. it would be a similar result, but you have a slightly higher chance of getting better returns with the dedicated workers
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 11:06:31 pm by Bloogonis »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2010, 11:01:24 pm »

Okay, cool. Is there some big warning/accomplishment to exploring an area so you can fully use it, or does "explored" basically mean "we sent some guy there once"?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2010, 11:09:18 pm »

I thought we had wheel technology. Do we at least know how to make fires?

What would be the first +foraging technology?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2010, 11:11:13 pm »

Bloogonis, may I post my actions in 8-10 hours? BEcause it's 7 AM and I have to go to bed.

If not, then a quick peek:
  • 20 women try to water the ground in caven and plant seeds from eathen plants there, trying to establish simple farming.
  • 10 women make clothing out of cave plants and hunted animals' hides
  • 10 women carefully gather mushrooms and underground plants in Caven to have enough food for people.
  • 25 men hunt desert lizards, mammals and catch Gazaks for future taming.
  • 10 men dig a well in the Caven, improving the current one
  • 10 men craft stone spears and some tools out of branches, stones and using cave plants to tie them
  • 20 children catch small cave animals for food.
  • 10 elders gather mushrooms and underground plants in Caven for food and clothes.
  • 10 elders sit in a dark corner and invent advanced desert suits (think out gear and cloth which are more suitable for desert, including appropriate clothing elements, possible storage compartments etc.)
  • 4 men and Son of Father Scorpion bury the dead, singing prayers to Father Scorpion. After that, they discover the reason of the deaths and try to establish some kind of "security rules" to make their life safer
  • 10 women from "Entangling legs" teach other women the art of lust and love. Also they study khymmerian anatomy and try different plants from gathered ones as medicines and reagents for herbal drinks
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 11:12:44 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6