Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Civ Rise - The Beginning  (Read 5559 times)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civ Rise - The Beginning
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 11:57:10 am »

Wait, as far as my "soggy wetland" is concerned, which kind of wetland it is? Since decisions will be VERY different according to the availability of wood, fresh flowing water, and most importantly fish-catch.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 12:30:32 pm »

The wetland is a mangrove forest, so it filters the salt from the ocean. information about the surrounding regions would have to be found out by having your tribe explore them.

We have enough people to play now, so this first year will be done at latest this coming Tuesday. slots are still open but the Map has started to take shape and I cant promise to get every element you wanted. Ive updated the OP with the turn schedule and how it works. Here's to a good game.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 12:49:24 pm »

oh wow, that one week wait always been there? That seems... long. Not that I will go anyplace, but I know how interest can wax and wane around here. Might be better to try for the weekend if you can, though it's your game, and that's only a suggestion.

I look forward to seeing the map, :) or at least seeing what we can of it
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 12:59:53 pm »

I might chop up the map and send each of it your little piece, and the week is just the upper end of the time, you may play your first turn now if you wish, Ive updated the rules in the first post to better outline some of the elements.

FakeEdit: I realize I haven't made an Annual goal listing in the rules. doing that now, it will just be an outline.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 01:05:17 pm by Bloogonis »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 02:02:35 pm »

How's this?

A picturesque scene: a river runs through a flat, grassy plain. Trees dot the landscape, and mountains loom in the background. A herd of deer is drinking from the river. They look up suddenly, startled by something. They gallop away. Enter a nomadic group of dwarves.

One stands in front of the rest and makes a proclamation.
"Ah'm tired o' walkin'. This' as good a spot as any; we're stoppin' 'ere."

Several dwarves let out weary sighs and sit down. Others appear to be annoyed, and one begins to speak. "Are ye sure, Adel? So close to th' river?"

The first speaker glares at him before speaking. "Scared, Vucar? A bit o' fish'll be good for trainin'. 'Sides, th' elves cannae 'ide 'round 'ere. Not enough trees, ya see."

The one known as Vucar attempts to speaks again, but is cut off by a third, who had been walking towards the river. "Deer tracks, an' no dead deer. Tha river's safe. Ah'm with Adel."

Vucar stalks off, sulking. Adel shakes his head. "Vucar ne'er was tha same after 'is ole man died. Poor leopard wasn't the same either." Adel chuckles grimly at the memory. "Right. Kogan, take charge o' tha efforts ta get food from tha river. Ah'll try ta get us some axes.  He points to a group of dwarves who are trying to cheer up Vucar. You lot with me." He points to another group. "You, look fer some plants. We're low on vittles, an' cannae hunt without crossbows." He points to the last dwarves without jobs. "You, help find food. Ah'll get ye some wood ta build 'ouses with, so we can get away from -that.-" He shoots a look of pure loathing towards the unfathomably cruel ball of light in the sky, and gets to work.

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 02:58:18 pm »

That's perfect. The RP half is your story, so you can write it however you like. journal short story etc. or you if you dont want to RP you can just do bullet points. the spoiler is pretty good. you can have a group of individuals do more then one thing a year, just remember that doing so will divide there attention (2 things 50% three things 33% etc)

Upon running test rolls to make sure everything worked, using Nirur's  action as a base, I have found my system for gathering does not work at all. it should be fixed before all the turns are in. if you have any suggestions feel free to offer. [fixed]
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 03:54:25 pm by Bloogonis »

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 03:14:29 pm »

hmm, on my Masters of Magic game, I've been doing gathering rolls like so:
1-10 - no resource gathered
10-49 - One Resource Gathered
50-75 - Two Resource Gathered
75-90 - Three Resources.
and 91-100 - Four Resources.
This is for one of my 'units' of population. I'm not sure how this will translate to your every man, woman, and child.

Depending on the terrain, I sometimes will add a preliminary 50% chance of finding anything, if the roll is 50 or more they find something, and I roll again with each 25% giving another resource.

And then after all that I put in any modifiers from tools, race bonuses or such to change the yield of the hunt/gather/collect/whatever.

Not sure if any of that helps, but there ya go. I'll probably write up some rp for the durhan later tonight, I still need to get the crafting game turn up today as well.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 03:40:44 pm »

that is very helpful, thank you. what I had been using was mindbogglingly over complicated and needed to be tossed out.

it was extremely difficult to get this out and looking half decent, so Im not going to cut out each of your map segments at this time, but as you find each other and explore the map, I may chop out larger segments of map that show the information shared between groups.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 05:49:25 pm »

Bloogonis, if you want, I can be your mapper.
You can send me drafts and I will make textured landscapes out of them.

By the way, I want a tribe, but I need about an hour to finish my home tasks before I can write about it. I like such games.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 07:43:49 pm »

If you want you can make your own map. At this point the map does not go beyond your current locations in order to keep a level of flexibility for people still signing up. also the map has changed to an East-West cardinal set up as apposed to the image shown North-South.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 08:21:57 pm »

Khymmerians

Khymmeria is an empty wasteland with rare oasises. But those oasises are not the place you want to go. Khymmerians prefer to stay in desert far away from those springs of life, because they resemble dark swamps with no sign of light hidden in high gloomy trees, and in those swamps dwell various carnivores which breed and eat each other to breed to eat each other to breed. There're a lot of legends about unreal deadly creatures and dark wizards living in such places and about heroes who managed to pass through an oasis (or to die there). And there're no stories at all about other hundreds of people who dared to approach such places because of their thirst and desire for water.
  Wastelands of Khymmeria are not as empty as they seem. Strong winds and hot sun kill most plants on the surface, but there're many lonely hills with cracks and caves (called "Cavens") which lead to underground cave systems and burrows where abundant subterranean life dwells. Various fungi, cave mammals and lizards dwell there. Also it's said that those caverns may be a source of a rare underground black liquid which is burning even when on water (it seems to float on its surface) and rare reddish silks produced by numerous spiders.
  This place could be suitable for Kral, small semi-sentient specie which resembles half-man half-mole, but they quickly became almost distinct due to their small starting number and the appearance of... Khymmerians.

Appearance and habits:

Khymmerians are very tall humanoid creatures of a great constitution. They look almost like humans but they don't have any hair on their bodies except for head and their skin has a bronze-red color. Also their eyes are a bit elongated and noses quite wide. They seem to have very wide shoulders and a very muscular build from the birth. Their wide frame also allows them to have some kind of fat-sacks on their chest, two at each side. These work as humps of camels, allowing Khymmerians to live without water much longer in their deserts.
  Nobody really knows what brought them in such inhabitable place, but elder say that their Great Father Scorpion called them from the sand to establsih a tribe, prosper and spread his teachings around the Great Mother Desert.
  Also they seem to have some kind of a link with large local insects which they call Gazaks and use as pack animals and a source of food. These insects appear to be quite clever and loyal almost as a dog, and their favourite food is a cave fungus.

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

Pictures later :P
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:53:45 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 09:42:18 pm »

Nice, could you refrain from using yellow in future posts, it disappears on the page and gives me a headache. you only have 25 elderly at start, you listed 50. Also just making sure everyone is aware, tools are a technology, so the people you assign to make tools will first research them.

What are the Gazaks? Beetles? Worms? Just trying to be careful with player made local fauna as it has the possibility of being cheep. (example: player creates local lizard for domestication, later reveals that the lizard secrets liquid gold from its skin every three years.)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:48:28 pm by Bloogonis »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 09:51:15 pm »

Sorry, fixed :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 10:11:35 pm »

Instead of cutting out each group for the players, I again suggest some of what I do in my master of magic game.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=50175.0

The maps are made in Gimp, with a 'fog of war' layer, and as people move about and reveal things, I just use the eraser tool with a fuzzy brush to expose areas.

This also helps me keep track of where other groups are in relation to each other. I save the thing as a copy .jpg for posting, and then make sure I save the main file with many layers for editing. There's a nice mosaic distort filter in gimp for making hexes too.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 10:17:15 pm »

I'm REALLY not sure the pink is better. What's wrong with deep, visible blue?  :P

Also, do you have any particular thoughts on local flora/fauna? As in, would you prefer we made them so you don't have to, prefer we didn't make them so you can, etc? Same question for, well, anything. Is finding quartz or weird glowing crystals or specific canyons or what have you not allowed, frowned upon, encouraged, or what?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6