Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Using the game for a D&D game map?  (Read 3228 times)

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Using the game for a D&D game map?
« on: March 02, 2010, 03:00:15 pm »

Hi,

So, it looks like I"m going to have to DM a game of D&D in a couple of weeks. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing but someone convinced me to try it.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with maps like those shown in the game, used for other purposes like mine. Stonesense seems really neat with isometrics, but I don't know about using that (or anything really).

It doesn't have to be really great quality, because it's just my friends, but good quality is always nice I guess.

Basically any isometric map would be awesome :D. It also really doesn't have to be this game used specifically, but graphics similar to it might be nice. I dunno.

Thanks.

Ideas, questions, comments?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 03:08:18 pm by femmelf »

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
Re: Using the game for a D&D game map?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 03:31:24 pm »

I'm not really sure what you're requesting here. :-\ Are you asking for an actual, physical map drawn from an isometric perspective? I'm not sure how that would assist you in D&D.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 03:34:41 pm »

I'm not really sure what you're requesting here. :-\ Are you asking for an actual, physical map drawn from an isometric perspective? I'm not sure how that would assist you in D&D.

Yeah, maybe I wasn't too clear.

I want to make a map to represent land in game, not an isometric sprite of an object called a map. :)

Basically, you know how you have play areas in DF that you embark on to make a fortress? Yeah, I'd like to make something like that.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 07:19:46 am »

Well.... you could try and copy each map level into paint, and you have a map that as long as it is marked, you know exactly how high your adventurers are, and where they are in the dungeon. For extra fun, Cut out open space tiles, and stick the z-levels onto transparent paper which you can arrange so you can flip through the levels to expose the inside of the mountain.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 12:36:30 pm »

Well.... you could try and copy each map level into paint, and you have a map that as long as it is marked, you know exactly how high your adventurers are, and where they are in the dungeon. For extra fun, Cut out open space tiles, and stick the z-levels onto transparent paper which you can arrange so you can flip through the levels to expose the inside of the mountain.

I really like this idea a whole lot :). Thankies.

Any idea on how to get isometric sprites for items that don't appear in the game?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 02:05:35 pm »

Any idea on how to get isometric sprites for items that don't appear in the game?
What do you mean by this? The obvious answer is to draw them. If you need sprites, you can ask me and other people.

Can you show me a sample of the image you want?

Also, which map do you want to render? Or will you make one just for this purpose?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 02:07:11 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 10:59:15 pm »

Or just upload the map to the DFMA
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 11:45:06 pm »

Nah won't work. There's no "Stonesense" category
Basically any isometric map would be awesome

Isometric is NOT top-down.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McPicard has entered a martial trance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 11:49:29 pm »

Wouldn't a top-down view of a map in VisualFortress be a little better? In my opinion its easier to see, and there are still square tiles and stuff. But that's just my opinion...
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 06:19:21 am »

If I'm reading this right, they wanna use it as an area map for a game, the top-down view from VF might work, but it depends on the printer they're using and if they don't mind stuff looking a bit off.

There was another Isometric visualizer out there but I don't think it is as developed as Stonesense.  Isometric such as Stonesense could be nice for a map, but I'd rather do top down cause that's easier to transfer to grid paper.

But that's just my opinion

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 07:41:44 am »

you may care to export some of the other map modes i.e. civ lands, temp a many others
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 02:23:40 pm »

Nah won't work. There's no "Stonesense" category

Pretty sure he was talking about copying each z-level straight from the game, and arranging them in sequence by height, which is what the Map Compressor used in conjunction with the DFMA is for, and not about Stonesense.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 05:03:49 pm »

I found that DF maps would get a touch repetative for D&D. I find the only useful method would be to use the worldmaps for certain things. It takes way too long to make a fortress for such a purpose (lest you actually get fortress images from other players, most of which are not designed for adventuring).

Either way, I wish you the best of luck into your ventures as a DM! I almost enjoy DMing more than playing as a character (mostly because I dislike the DMing style of most people).
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 11:37:43 pm »

I am so stealing this idea for when the underground comes out.

riallatar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 08:31:55 am »

I found that DF maps would get a touch repetative for D&D. I find the only useful method would be to use the worldmaps for certain things. It takes way too long to make a fortress for such a purpose (lest you actually get fortress images from other players, most of which are not designed for adventuring).

If you mod the worldgen and INI files it can take a whole lot less time to build maps - If you're playing to build and not to experience *fun*, you can set the dwarves to [SPEED:1] to make them lightning fast and edit the starting resources to 15k or more to bring everything you need to survive on Embark.  I'd think you could have a decent D&D style Adventure map built in a couple of hours with a few tweaks to get you started quicker.
Pages: [1] 2