Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Improvements to a fort.  (Read 987 times)

Set_Beadra

• Bay Watcher
  • The one, and only, Beadra.
    • View Profile
Improvements to a fort.
« on: March 02, 2010, 12:06:04 pm »

I always get to this point with all the fortresses that I work on. I get to a point where I'm just not sure what else to do. The goblin raids have been easy as pie to kill they usually don't even make it to my traps because my champions kill them before they get to the entrance and I have 90% of the fort built from glass. I made it past the aquifer by digging alongside the magma vent.
Someone take a look at this fort and do w/e you want to it and send it back to me. Or just throw some good ideas at me. Either would be nice since my roommates refuse to take up this fort for a year for me. 
Save - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OLMSHC9D
We all die eventually, though more so for dwarfs.

An insane child kills the remaining group of spine injured dwarfs shortly before starving to death himself. Thus ended Weightknives. May the souls of the fallen rest in every level of Armok's 1000 hells.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Improvements to a fort.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 12:29:43 pm »

Could you provide a map as well please? Much more convenient than downloading the save if you only want to have a look see.

Set_Beadra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 01:22:07 pm »

Ahhh, didn't think of that. Here ya go. =) This is 0, -3 and -8. -8 is magma forges and JUSTICE and -3 is the meeting hall, housing and workshops. 0 is of course the entrance which is just a lot of traps most of the weapon traps contain 10 green glass serrated blades. I built a wall around the magma vent at 0 to prevent fire imps from lighting the dry grass on fire AGAIN and torching the entire map.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

An insane child kills the remaining group of spine injured dwarfs shortly before starving to death himself. Thus ended Weightknives. May the souls of the fallen rest in every level of Armok's 1000 hells.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 01:30:59 pm »

That helps, thanks!  :D However I was thinking more along the lines of the dwarf fortress map site.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/

I'd upload it myself but it seems you have some custom reactions or some such so I can't open your save.

Also suggested improvements, I can't make out a lot from your pictures but you seem to lack a animal or textile industry? why don't you make some of those?

Set_Beadra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 02:10:54 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8178-roadmagics
There we go. I didn't know about that site thank you. I only uploaded my three main floors. I do have a farm and barracks in between 0 and -3 as well as storage. I have only a rhesues macaque and a giant scorpion for my zoo that elf's brought me in a WOODEN cage one time. I will never understand elf's.

Mr. Wallet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 02:41:41 pm »

Build an above-ground glass octahedron for all your nobles to live and work in.

Set_Beadra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 03:51:26 pm »

Oh gawd x.x I don't even know how I would do that. I mean, one tall wall in the middle and just building stairs around that and each floor is just floor surrounding that single wall. With a lever attacked to the ground floor pillar to destroy it ^_^. Hehe. What I mean though is, I'm still new to dwarf fortress and the dwarven economy just started up a bit ago and I'm not sure what to do from here on. I read making coins was a bad idea so I haven't made any. Just not sure what else is usually necessity for the fortress.