Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The hate of elves  (Read 1377 times)

meketreff

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The hate of elves
« on: March 02, 2010, 09:32:57 am »

I've been trying to find out exacly why everyone enjoy to dislike the elves in this game. I found nothing and most logicaly to me, it is a culture some spreaded since the beggning of the development and catched.

I played some fortresses and I never had any problem with them. Even tough I would take out hundreds of trees with my legendary woodcutter, they never complained. Probably in early versions? But not that it would be a problem. I realise that if we sell anything made out of wood to them they will get mad. Its a funny bit of exaggeration if they are going to siege because of a single wood piece.

Anyway I like the elves since they are heavily bashed and the underdogs arround. I started playing advt mode and with them and is fun, the first time it worked out for me. My first elf, together with his three companions died for no clear reason by a human (I never atacked them). It was entertaining tough; I entered one Retreat and it began in an inn, there was a drunk man and a sword master upstairs and we were not a bit of a match for that sword master. I cheated reload because I could not see this master at all and I died from two strikes, it seems he was beating me from the level above because I was dead in the middle of the inn and he was nowhere to see. So I wanted to check it out again if this was a bug but I trained some trowing before. Just so that he defeated me face to face this time and I let it go.

Certainly, with the inn there it was originaly some human town as I figured out. In the world I'm on I discovered many other retreats with inns and empty shops. I made another elf to possibly seek revenge later. That human called Lom was also mentioned by some elves about their strucked relatives.

With my second elf I engaged the greatest battle I had in the game. I got a companion in the begginig who choosed to join me even tough I had just the start skills and we travelled north till this Nightwing appeared, first time for me to see. I'm new and I didnt knew where I shouldnt step and also had no skills. I appeared from a distance of the Nightwing and Aweme, who was just beside him, and it was just creepy and sad to read the things it was doing to her and after just three turns it finished chopping her head off. Felt weird how it was foccused on her and giving the back to me who was on the other side shooting off aimless arrows just waiting my turn to be gone.

The Nightwing turned and came to me. At this point I just had made him harmless scratches and then I runned some, attacked and that arrow made him a yellow damage somewhere which was great finnaly but the second to that was so lucky it pierced both his lungs. I shoot many times more while it was so slow now till it could barelly walk. I was afraid to mess it up but didnt wanted to kill it with arrows but to make a better revenge to Aweme and went to wrestle. I made sure it was very crippled before I came closer but during wrestle it still made some of my body parts brown and a short bleed. I noticed I couldnt kill it from wrestle but went on with it as the skill was going up and would give me better dodge for later; and possible after that night and some days in I became legendary, shot a single arrow which pirced trough his 'head entirely', took my friend both remains and moved out.

I then found the darves and helped them in a quest together with another elf mate I got in the way, another archer. In the MountainHall there is a chasm from which come Batmans and rats and from them I trained some shield skill. Before that I had sneaked into a human town, entered some houses looking for an armored sleepy citzen and killed one, I took his shield but never managed to use his armor, maybe elves can't wear it? I trained with my new mate looking for more hostiles now that I was a confident wrestler with better status and some Nightwings appeared but they dont make a big threat now and my companion seems to have runned out of arrows since long just to keep bashing things with her bow which is a bit of fun and she never hurts couse she's so dodgy.

Now I will just gather people, which will be me, the other elf and all darves (which I befriended) to go into that inn Retreat to hopefully take out the swordmaster and the bunch of humans outside of it. Just him will be ok already.

Couple of questions: Can we possible put any armor aside cloth on elves? How? It seems possible since other weapons are but I can't figure out the way. I tryed Interact, I tryed Wear, drop and retake it, let it in hand first, drop the current armor. And can we give party members ammo, change their weapon to a better material and do they get experienced in skills?

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 10:08:32 am by meketreff »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The hate of elves
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 09:44:59 am »

you can only use armor that is the right size,human is to large for elves.
you can get metal armor by Goblins snached elves.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 02:21:35 am »

main reason:
Elves bring SHIT LOADS of rope reed cloth, and dont bring their animals, which everyone would love the elfs if they brought more of them...

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 02:54:50 am »

*heavy Scottish accent*
I hates the elves because they're stick thin, blonde haired, glittery eyed, tree loving, corpse eating, wooden weapon using, woodcutter assassinating, whiny beardless PANSIES!

Also because they spam bow users which is really freaking annoying.

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 03:10:13 am »

They whine when you try to trade them wooden products, but they only ever BRING wooden products.  They don't trade anything very useful most of the time, and in Adventure mode they just stand around in the open waiting for you to attack them so they can all fire at you with their bows.

AnotherDwarvernDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 03:30:00 pm »

They whine when you try to trade them wooden products, but they only ever BRING wooden products.  They don't trade anything very useful most of the time, and in Adventure mode they just stand around in the open waiting for you to attack them so they can all fire at you with their bows.

This, plus the animals they very rarely bring are often (perhaps always?) lightly injured throughout the body. My giant desert scorpion is permanently bruised in the guts, heart and brain.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 02:31:38 am »

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

meketreff

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 12:30:46 am »

Funk thanks for the goblin size info, Im still have to try this if I find any goblin place.

Its true they do bring wooden stuff... I sure remember them bringing at least animals in wooden cages and bins. I never linked it tough. But if we would get more serious into the matter, they use very few wood and don't complain with the avarage amount of wood dwavers collect. I really wonder how they didnt yet complained in my game which trees I devast in any opportunity I have, usually after the usual goblin siege. It might be because I play in a 6x6 map and there are still trees in the non-usable parts, which increase its percentage (if that is what counts for them).

Also yea, they bring huge amounts of cloth, I often see nothing but cloth out of their caravans. One time the list was boringly long even using Page Down. The only nice thing I remember that I traded with them was a black bear I still have in my frozen fort.

Do they eat corpses? They might be based on some type of indians. It seems DF is made in persue of dark fantasy, this might be more clear when playing it skinless. The graphic tilesets are often cute and I can't imagine myself playing without them right now (and most do an amazing job regardless). I wonder how B12 themselves picture the races, I remember I saw something about this somewhere.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:57:01 am by meketreff »

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 09:12:29 am »

they count the wood in your stockpiles , they will keep priseing you if you just leave wood out in the open , without stockpiles , it counts when the deplomat arrives

also , they count giant caps as wood , they are just thick mushrooms , they go to war just over a tree , man........

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 08:05:03 pm »

For the first few years of my fortresses I wait for the elves to bring me cool annimals, the ones that do so get all pissed at me offering them wood, so I am forced to commit a foul act and steal the annimals. They are even so stupid to have an accident in the magma trap on their way out!

The ones that fail to bring me cool annimals are even more silly and get into an accident on their way in. Thankfully they and all the rubbish they do bring is flamable, and I dont have to clean the magma trap. But the occasional hauler does get hurt walking through the burning corpses and cloth, realy, they should be more considerate.

Then after those few years my fortress propers (well, most of the time) and the elves send a diplomat to check on my tree abusing habits. The fools never notice my unstockpiled carefully hidden logs (dispite my complete and utter razing of every tree on the map), spout some lame jokes about my dwarves length, and also get themselves into an accident in the magma trap!

Then they blame they own clumsyness on me and my accident lever flawless engineering, and murder the unlucky migrants I appoint as woodcutters. They then get slaughtered by my military, or follow their predecessors and die from the magma trap.

I am then forces to set the landscape on fire to clean all that messy looking rope reed/wood/elf corpse littering. Dont they realise that burning rope reed and corpse feums are harmful to ones health?
Realy, those elves are so detestable.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!