Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lofi Fortress project - 8x8 graphics for DF  (Read 14619 times)

Asatruer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lofi Fortress project - 8x8 graphics for DF
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 05:07:38 pm »

Just to see how well it would work I started a graphic tileset based on these sprites a couple of days ago.  I used CobaltKobold's 8x8 as the base, added in as many of Oryx's sprites that I could that made sense, and where I could not find something good borrowed a few tiles (or at least concepts) from RantingRodent's or Mayday's tilesets or just made it up.  This is the first extensive tileset I have ever worked on, rather than the occasional borrowing a tile from another tileset of the same size.  It is still WIP, and I just figured out how to do transparencies that are not 100%, and cages and doors (as well as other things likely) could use more work.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Feel free to tweak, mod, use to your heart's content.
One word of warning for anyone who wants to try it, since it has gen/mineral/layer tiles like RantingRodent's it will assuredly look odd without RR's raws (which I hope the ones I have been using where not heavily modified by me.

here is a rediculosouly large 1280x800 sample of the tileset in use with the graphics example mal put together. It is a bit of eyestrain, but for smaller monitors/desktop-resolutions it should be very usable.

mal

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CLOAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 06:53:05 pm »

Just to see how well it would work I started a graphic tileset based on these sprites a couple of days ago.  I used CobaltKobold's 8x8 as the base, added in as many of Oryx's sprites that I could that made sense, and where I could not find something good borrowed a few tiles (or at least concepts) from RantingRodent's or Mayday's tilesets or just made it up.  This is the first extensive tileset I have ever worked on, rather than the occasional borrowing a tile from another tileset of the same size.  It is still WIP, and I just figured out how to do transparencies that are not 100%, and cages and doors (as well as other things likely) could use more work.
Feel free to tweak, mod, use to your heart's content.
One word of warning for anyone who wants to try it, since it has gen/mineral/layer tiles like RantingRodent's it will assuredly look odd without RR's raws (which I hope the ones I have been using where not heavily modified by me.

here is a rediculosouly large 1280x800 sample of the tileset in use with the graphics example mal put together. It is a bit of eyestrain, but for smaller monitors/desktop-resolutions it should be very usable.

Great work, Asatruer.  I'm going to give this a play tonight.  I forgot to mention in the OP, but I'm very open to collaborating on this with other people, so if anyone wants to compile the animals from Oryx onto sheets or try their hand at spriting, don't be shy.

Here's  dorfs again, Revision 2: shading and palette updated.  I'll likely be sticking with the palette Beefmo used for his sprite sets, unless it has visibility issues.

Some minor revisions.  Furnace operator and smiths wear welding helmets, priests are now priests of Armok, some other stuff I've forgotten.  Mostly I need to see if the shading looks bad in game, I tried to keep it minimal.

3X Zoom preview on black:

Regular, magenta:

Text (same as OP):

Arucard

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 10:43:34 am »

I'd love to try and do some, I'll start with elves since everyone hates them and is unlikely to be desired. Now I just have to remember where I saved those graphic sets.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 06:12:02 pm »

I love 8x8 graphics set idea, but it does not really work for me with my usual 8x8 tileset. Any thoughts about that?

Goood thing is that dining room no longer looks like disco thou ...

mal

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CLOAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 11:39:27 pm »

I love 8x8 graphics set idea, but it does not really work for me with my usual 8x8 tileset. Any thoughts about that?

Goood thing is that dining room no longer looks like disco thou ...

I'm working on a tileset now, but as I'm rolling it from scratch it's a little slow going.  I've got a font I like and some nice walls/doors/grates done, here's a preview mockup at 3x zoom on black (uncolored, but you get the idea).

Ignore the magenta, those tiles get colored with background colors, so it's a necessary evil.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2010, 11:53:44 pm »

Just to see how well it would work I started a graphic tileset based on these sprites a couple of days ago.  I used CobaltKobold's 8x8
Hi there.
I just figured out how to do transparencies that are not 100%,
It's a trouble, yes.

Looks kinda neat.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2010, 11:59:05 pm »

here's a preview
Looks sweet.
Pages: 1 [2]