Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: What's with the Microcline hate?  (Read 14846 times)

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's with the Microcline hate?
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2010, 07:26:56 am »

I've taken to replacing odd walls with constructed ones that blend with the color scheme and then using Tweak to hide the tiles that shouldn't have been revealed. May be too much work for some, but those odd walls used to really bug me. Now it's like they were never there.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2010, 01:05:22 pm »

You can recolor the blinding blue to a softer, darker shade in the raws. I did that, not realizing the far-reaching effects it has on many things. However, it does look rather nice!

Or, you could just build your underground fortress and make a floor layer just below the uppermost level of cavern, to produce an artificial sky. They'll never know the difference!
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2010, 01:13:21 pm »

Or, you could just build your underground fortress and make a floor layer just below the uppermost level of cavern, to produce an artificial sky. They'll never know the difference!
Can we rename a specific dwarf Truman Burbank?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2010, 01:14:11 pm »

I like the idea of finding cool new colors of stone.  I just wish I didn't find so damn much of it at once.
Pitchblende, orpiment, realgar.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2010, 08:53:41 am »

Indeed, CK, those stones are exceptionally cool colors and do not appear often or in large amounts.  Petrified Wood is among that list, too.  And kaolinite.

But my problem isn't with those, obviously.  It's just the massive deposits of the more common color-stones that drive me nuts.   :-\
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2010, 11:47:47 am »

Granite is funny because, unlike other stones which typically are dark grey, which turn into a dark grey secondary/background color with a light foreground color, granite has a dark/black foreground color with a lighter grey background color. 

Depending on your tileset, you may have to set some magenta or transparent areas on your doors just to be able to see the granite doors.  I am using a Frankensteining of several tilesets, and wound up manually altering my door tiles so that granite showed up correctly.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2010, 01:45:58 pm »

Granite is funny because, unlike other stones which typically are dark grey, which turn into a dark grey secondary/background color with a light foreground color, granite has a dark/black foreground color with a lighter grey background color.
...that's why that door in my barracks looked so weird!
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2010, 02:44:16 pm »

If you don't like the way doors look...

This is my custom tileset, you might want to just copy-paste a few tiles you like over the ones you don't like so much in the tileset you currently use. It repurposes several of the accented characters, though, which is a complicated mess, so you would have to really root around the raws to just use this straight.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

older, magenta-backed version:

what it looks like:

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 02:53:11 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2010, 02:50:37 pm »

Spoiler: This is mostly why (click to show/hide)

It's a hard on the eye color for most and it's pretty worthless.

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2010, 03:23:10 pm »

Jeez, am I the only person here who likes Microcline? :-\

I actually enjoy it very much.
If its too bright, than your tooo old
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2010, 03:47:59 pm »

I take it you are playing on a CRT screen which doesn't have the capability of lighting your room when the screen is completely white.

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2010, 04:05:05 pm »

I take it you are playing on a CRT screen which doesn't have the capability of lighting your room when the screen is completely white.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...........actually yes, im not that big of a computer gamer to actually need that kinda screen for DF, i play more xbox 360, but DF is my main game on computer.
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]