Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: What's with the Microcline hate?  (Read 14848 times)

Randomone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's with the Microcline hate?
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2010, 05:42:02 pm »

Sorta off-topic, but anybody ever think what their fortress looks like made out of the REAL material?

For example, olvine is actually a sorta-clear light green material:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And Orthoclause isn't really bright yellow, it can actually be off-white, red, or orange:

Even though, jet looks pretty cool:

So your fortress is probably a whole rainbow of colors, both solid and transparent.
When it crashes the game, its a bug, when it causes mass homicide, its a feature.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2010, 10:39:40 pm »

Most of my current fort is carved into an igneous mountain.  That means that, except for streaks of cinnibar or large chunks of microcline (actually, my original enterance and first floor meeting area was entirely microcline) or alunite (current enterance is entirely alunite), most everything from the third floor on down is solid granite. Above that, it goes ryholite and andesite at the peaks, but it's basically all dark, hard igneous stones.  (I like granite, it's a nice, "Dwarvenly" stone to build from.)

I do, however, build into the sand-covered biome that is all chalk and marble for some of my factories, and use the sand for storage and farming.

If this game were realistic at all, I wouldn't be relying on a thin ceiling made of sand to cover a massive 30x30 warehouse without any kind of supports, needless to say.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2010, 03:18:39 am »

obviously the miners are trying to distract you with "ooh bright shiny rocks" while pocketing gems for themselves.

Welsh dwarves!
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2010, 12:06:39 pm »

I don't know, i like Microcline, it's a good contrast to the boring gray's of the larger part's of my various forts. It Make's a good centerpiece, for example. Early on (Before i get metal production. My bookkeeper/appraiser's office looks so much better like this:

I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2010, 01:05:26 pm »

Well if we ever get more colors to work with this will be less of an issue.  We can have a nice pale blue for microcline and still have cyan for water, crystals and such.  I'm not sure what the design decision to keep the colors at 16 is all about.  If it's a compatibility thing, I don't know of anyone that still uses a CGA monitor.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2010, 01:24:47 pm »

Well if we ever get more colors to work with this will be less of an issue.  We can have a nice pale blue for microcline and still have cyan for water, crystals and such.  I'm not sure what the design decision to keep the colors at 16 is all about.  If it's a compatibility thing, I don't know of anyone that still uses a CGA monitor.

I think it's just an ascii thing.  IRC still has sixteen colors, which you can set the same way that you set them for DF. 

What's amusing is that you can look up all the colors for dyes that are available, and they just get matched to the closest of the 16 colors available.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2010, 04:53:56 pm »

You've struck Olivine!
You've struck Microcline!
You've struck Orthoclase!
You've struck Olivine!
You've struck Olivine!
You've struck Olivine!

Then sometimes they don't mention when they hit clusters of gems.

obviously the miners are trying to distract you with "ooh bright shiny rocks" while pocketing gems for themselves.

I saw a mod that made all the civ's into animals and the Dwarfs were turtles. Obviously, they really need to be ferrets.

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2010, 05:28:41 pm »

My school's geology department has a display case with a lot of stone. I only know what some of them are because of Dwarf Fortress.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2010, 09:01:30 pm »

Same here, it's amusing just looking over the array of different feldspars in particular.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2010, 02:29:48 am »

"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2010, 02:47:32 am »

y u do dis?
It's absolutely painful with the dark forum theme.  I imagine it's not so bad on a white background.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2010, 05:55:58 am »

Microcline and Orthoclase are fine compared to Alunite.Not even is it even more bright, it also occupies tiles that could have been the 3 times as valuable obsidian AND prevents there being anything that is actually useful in said obsidian
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2010, 11:47:32 pm »

Alunite looks alright with the Natural colour scheme on the wiki. Try it, it makes every stone at least bearable.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2010, 01:17:17 am »

If a vein like cinnabar is "V" shaped, and you dig horizontally, you'll get two seperate messages within a couple seconds of each other with legendary miners.
means they're two veins, prolly.
What's with all the threads bitching about the long established forum jokes?

Seriously.
They, like microcline, pop up 'every five seconds'. It might be noteworthy or happy the first time, or e'en the fifth time, but the analogy should illustrate better than words.
I didn't read this thread but I'll chime in anyway as usual. Microcline is a nice replacement for ice when you want something icy-looking but which doesn't melt in contact with magma.
built Constructed ice doesn't melt.
I like the color and about the only time I have had trouble with it was in a white sand desert where the top 5 layers of stone on the cliff I dug into was Microcline and Orthoclase
Not surprising since not only are they both feldspars, they are also the same feldspar. =)

The DF geology is funky. It separates orthoclases that only differ in the level of matamorphosis but only knows one kind of sand for all minerals combined. =)
Nah, there're 4-5 sands.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2010, 06:32:42 am »

I view colored stones with mixed feelings.  On the one hand, I've found something to make chests, cabinets, doors, and other stone-wrought items from that won't blend in with all my nice walls and floors.  Fortress aesthetic rises as I can now use contrast, or give specific Dwarves rooms that cater to their preferred stones or colors.  Perhaps one room has red-stone cabinet, coffer, and door, while another one has blue.  It makes it easy to tell who has all three necessary bedroom furniture pieces.

On the other hand, this new something is a large, oval collection of stone I planned to make into nice walls and floors.  Fortress aesthetic is ruined as I must find a new color to contrast with what I've blundered into... or mine through it all and build floors and walls out of blocks of the old materials, making expansion more difficult (moreso for the seizure-inducing flash of all those floors and walls on the deconstruct menu).

I like the idea of finding cool new colors of stone.  I just wish I didn't find so damn much of it at once.

Also, I've noticed that sometimes stone colors differ by what you make out of them.  Granite, for instance, is the same dark gray color as diorite when used for walls, floors, chairs, tables, and what-have-you.  But granite doors are black, while diorite doors are dark gray.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6