Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Double checking, RE: Magma, and Irrigation. (mega project planning)  (Read 1598 times)

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I'm working on an idea, and need to double check two things...

First: Magma won't Melt constructed "Floors" Will it? I'm hoping to construct the entirety of a 28 Z-Level Tower from Refined Obsidian Blocks, and need to make sure that the sub-industry floor will be capable of holding it's magma lake for the furnaces. I believe that I'm fine, but want to double check before I get too wrapped up in planning.

Second: Similarly, can subsequently irrigated constructed "floor" tiles be used to create a farm plot.

I'm hoping to have all my industries/amenities (except the obsidian factory, which will need to be offsite) contained in the tower, and have said tower entirely constructed.

Bonus points for me: Positioning my tower above a bottomless pit (I'll take the 2-3 Z-level hit for this one), and making all the windows on all non-industrial/storage floors from red gems, preferably expensive stuff, like rubies.

I've already got my footprint and some basic floor plans designed, as well as the "shape" of the scar in the land that will house my unholy abomination, and plan upon periodic drawbridges every few floors on the tower to the nearby land for mining and industrial purposes.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Double checking, RE: Magma, and Irrigation. (mega project planning)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 10:10:54 pm »

So, I'm working on an idea, and need to double check two things...

First: Magma won't Melt constructed "Floors" Will it? I'm hoping to construct the entirety of a 28 Z-Level Tower from Refined Obsidian Blocks, and need to make sure that the sub-industry floor will be capable of holding it's magma lake for the furnaces. I believe that I'm fine, but want to double check before I get too wrapped up in planning.

Second: Similarly, can subsequently irrigated constructed "floor" tiles be used to create a farm plot.

I'm hoping to have all my industries/amenities (except the obsidian factory, which will need to be offsite) contained in the tower, and have said tower entirely constructed.

Bonus points for me: Positioning my tower above a bottomless pit (I'll take the 2-3 Z-level hit for this one), and making all the windows on all non-industrial/storage floors from red gems, preferably expensive stuff, like rubies.

I've already got my footprint and some basic floor plans designed, as well as the "shape" of the scar in the land that will house my unholy abomination, and plan upon periodic drawbridges every few floors on the tower to the nearby land for mining and industrial purposes.

1) nope. (b) (C) menu is invulnerable, as far as I, and many others, have seen.

2) if its muddy, and has "light" tag, it will grow outdoor plants. If it has "subterranean" tag, you need to find a underground pond/pool before it will grow anything. BUT! If muddy, you can use it for farm plots, yes.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 10:22:24 pm »

I thought that, due to a bug, muddy outdoor tiles will never yeild any crops?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 01:12:49 am »

I don't know about universally, but that may have been in a mountain biome, which will never support aboveground, wild crops, because there are no plants that actually *grow* on the mountains.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 10:47:09 am »

I find that a little strange that nothing ever grows on mountains. They're really not as sterile as DF portrays them. The surrounding biomes should have more of an effect.

On a side note, won't dwarves try to clean up mud on constructed/smooth tiles?
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 11:26:11 am »

Not in my experience. The only way Ive EVER gotten rid of a muddy constructed floor tile is by removing and rebuilding it. Although, I believe that in the next installment that they are supposed to clean up muddy surfaces (if I read the dev logs right).

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 04:00:57 pm »

2) if its muddy, and has "light" tag, it will grow outdoor plants. If it has "subterranean" tag, you need to find a underground pond/pool before it will grow anything. BUT! If muddy, you can use it for farm plots, yes.
Wait, so I can build a farm plot on a floor constructed out of metal and glass?

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 06:06:20 pm »

And mud, yes.

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 11:43:53 am »

Funny how steel floor panels get muddy, though.  ;)

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 12:24:07 pm »

If you're going that way... funny how linoleum gets muddy, too. Heh.

Asteranx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 04:27:56 pm »

Not in my experience. The only way Ive EVER gotten rid of a muddy constructed floor tile is by removing and rebuilding it. Although, I believe that in the next installment that they are supposed to clean up muddy surfaces (if I read the dev logs right).

If dwarves will clean muddy tiles in the next version (which would be nice), then it would make sense if they would fetch buckets of water to muddy tiles designated for farms, rather than preventing the designation.  The only issue I can think of would be tower cap farms where you don't want them cleaned up at all, though I assume you could just designate a farm that lies fallow all year.

As for the megaproject, why not do the whole thing in cast obsidian rather than constructed?  Build a pump tower to fill in a cast pillar of obsidian one layer at a time, carve out your rooms, and smooth/engrave the whole thing for extra creepyness.  Use the rock generated from carving out the rooms to build all your furniture/statues/bridges/etc, unless you're going for some kind of color scheme, at which point you can do all the furnishings in iron and bauxite, for when you flood it with magma.

I mean, you are going to flood it with magma, right?  It _is_ a fortress, after all.

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 05:13:50 pm »

I mean, you are going to flood it with magma, right?  It _is_ a fortress, after all.

I think there is a very strong possibility that at some point, *certain* rooms will *accidentally* go from bedrooms to radiant heat sources for the more.... um.... Useful... Dwarves.

Either that or I'll make all the floors out of obsidian grates so i can just fill the thing up periodically as the trash builds up  ;D

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 11:49:13 pm »

Yes, unless you build something (like a farm plot) over it.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 12:10:35 am »

AFAIK you can NOT build a farm on CONSTRUCTED floor. Wherher it's muddied or not.

*goes to check*
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 12:29:45 am »

AFAIK you can NOT build a farm on CONSTRUCTED floor. Wherher it's muddied or not.

*goes to check*
Really? I've done it before...? That's the point of muddied.
Pages: [1] 2