Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Queen Consort Is Also A Mayor And A Woman  (Read 1779 times)

William

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Queen Consort Is Also A Mayor And A Woman
« on: March 01, 2010, 06:57:09 pm »

I'm just wondering what will happen when I get a queen. I never encountered this before.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 07:07:29 pm by William »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Queen Consort Is Also A Mayor And A Woman
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 07:11:52 pm »

Wait a second, you got yourself a mating pair of lesbians?  ... That's pretty cool, actually.

I was actually going to run some tests with Dwarf Companion to see if I made my dwarves transexual, if they would still produce offspring.

Wait... umm... looking at those personal pages says they're both married to different dwarves...

I thought the consort was just the spouse that didn't inherit the royal title.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

William

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 07:14:19 pm »

Yeah, I'm confused.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 07:30:54 pm »

Oops, did not read the screens properly. That is pretty awesome.

Yes, the queen consort is called that because she is queen by virtue of having married the hereditary king. And yes, it looks like the queen consort is the survivor of a deceased former king.

Segueing into the next post, it also looks like the mayors and (ruler) consorts swapped positions upon the death of the former king. Perhaps the game is tracking social skills somehow? I've noticed that leadership positions like mayor, diplomat, etc. tend to concentrate around a sort of hereditary elite related or close to the royal family.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 07:35:57 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

dapanman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 07:32:47 pm »

Theory:
Muthkat married Shem, presumably Shem was king, making Muthkat his consort. Shem died in 5, and Erith became queen in 6, changing the King consort entity position thingy to Queen consort. Erith's husband may or may not have become a consort as well, he died in 71 though so who knows.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 07:34:06 pm »

They're either secretly lesbians or openly lesbians and secretly heterosexual.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

William

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 07:52:41 pm »

Theory:
Muthkat married Shem, presumably Shem was king, making Muthkat his consort. Shem died in 5, and Erith became queen in 6, changing the King consort entity position thingy to Queen consort. Erith's husband may or may not have become a consort as well, he died in 71 though so who knows.

You're right.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 08:14:52 pm »

Although inheriting the consort of the dead king, even if you are a woman would be the sort of crazy thing I'd expect from DF... although mostly from the elves.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 01:04:03 am »

What happens if you regen the world and cut off the world generation at, say, 50 or so so that Mistem is still alive?

Note that you need to do that manually as selecting an end date for the World Generation will alter said world's history.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 01:07:56 am »

In this case, consider the Consort to be an official BFF. There isn't anything nasty going on, you sick-minded people.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 01:12:10 am »

In this case, consider the Consort to be an official BFF. There isn't anything nasty going on, you sick-minded people.

And how is a pair of lesbians any more "sick" than a heterosexual couple?

I just found it amusing when I first looked because they were actually having children, which would have been a hilarious bug.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 11:35:40 am »

Theory:
Muthkat married Shem, presumably Shem was king, making Muthkat his consort. Shem died in 5, and Erith became queen in 6, changing the King consort entity position thingy to Queen consort.

I think you've misunderstood the naming convention somewhat - a King's wife is a Queen Consort, while a Queen's husband is a King Consort. Thus, Muthkat was always a "Queen Consort" (by virtue of having been female), never a "King Consort".
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 04:21:36 pm »

Makes me eager to see the politics and romance arcs in the finished product.  I love bizarre yet compelling events like this.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 04:40:57 pm »

You must get your queen the old fashioned way so she brings her consort, and see what happens.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 04:48:37 pm »

Well it looks like a bug rather then a same sex relationship, since they both had husbands that died at one point and remarrying doesn't seem to happen yet.  Actually, it just looks like the King died and was replaced by Erith.  Since she was previously married to someone who died, no new consort was appointed and Muthkat just kept the position by default.  I think there was a bug at some point where monarchs would show up in fortress mode with inherited consorts they weren't married to, maybe this is it. 

Then again, Mayor of an important city + Queen consort adds up to a pretty important position, so it could be some kind of not fully implemented compromise or power sharing agreement.   
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 04:56:41 pm by o_O[WTFace] »
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...
Pages: [1] 2