Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Games with construction  (Read 3898 times)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games with construction
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 09:51:01 pm »

I think he wants to build more than a small shack and for less than $50.

Still... it's always an option, and it's the best simulation you're going to get. :P
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 09:53:48 pm »

BYOND's Dream Maker is a great one, but then you realize that it is a game making system, not a game itself... (Though free, and much easier than many other options)

Less expensive and more convenient than real life, though.
Eh?
Eh!

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 01:26:47 pm »

You could... you know... go out and buy some wood and some screws...

Lol I already do that a lot. I enjoy the feeling of creating something out of basic materials, which is why I think I want to do this in a video game.

How about jsut any game you can run your own business and cater to other players?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 01:49:16 pm »

Wurm Online seems to fit that bill to a tee. Also, its fun, I'd play it, but, I'm not much of a community person.

Yes, but that game has been destroyed community wise.
Not true.  Maybe on the tutorial server, because that's what it's meant as, but on Freedom, there's a surplus of villages looking for people.  Including my own.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 02:48:27 pm »

Wurm Online seems to fit that bill to a tee. Also, its fun, I'd play it, but, I'm not much of a community person.

Yes, but that game has been destroyed community wise.
Not true.  Maybe on the tutorial server, because that's what it's meant as, but on Freedom, there's a surplus of villages looking for people.  Including my own.

I was just going on what other players had told me, but if you insist I'll give it a try.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 04:01:20 pm »

It may be a little bit different to what you're after, but have you tried Hinterland?
http://www.tiltedmill.com/hinterland/
It's a party-based RPG in a procedurally generated world, where your party members are taken from the small town you must construct and manage - You might think that your farmer will make a good archer, but who'll work his fields while he's off questing?

Bastards stole Toady's Dwarf Fortress Ideas, lol.  Speaking of which...have you tried Dwarf Fortress? ;D

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot why I originally looked at this post.  For a construction game, try the german game "Constructor", where you can build a community.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 04:12:48 pm »

All you need is a good quality axe, shovel and a couple different saws and you can turn that forest in your backyard into a 4 story apartment building.

Unless you live in the city, in which case there's probably already one there.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 04:43:07 pm »

It may be a little bit different to what you're after, but have you tried Hinterland?
http://www.tiltedmill.com/hinterland/
It's a party-based RPG in a procedurally generated world, where your party members are taken from the small town you must construct and manage - You might think that your farmer will make a good archer, but who'll work his fields while he's off questing?

Bastards stole Toady's Dwarf Fortress Ideas, lol.  Speaking of which...have you tried Dwarf Fortress? ;D

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot why I originally looked at this post.  For a construction game, try the german game "Constructor", where you can build a community.

Yeah, the words "Constructor Game, Game Constructor, German Game Constructor" yield far too many results.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 04:55:01 pm »

Might not be what you're looking for but armadillo run is a pretty decent construction game.

http://www.armadillorun.com/ It's more of a puzzle game than what you're looking for, so YMMV.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 05:32:00 pm »

You can check out a Tale in the Desert too. It's set in ancient Egypt and it has you building stuff and doing challenges in an MMO environment. I haven't played it in years (since atitd2 and they're on 4 now with... a year or two for each) but it was a lot of fun while I played it. Also, some MUDs or MOOs might work for you... maybe BatMUD if I remember right? Other people may have a better idea as far as MUDs and MOOs go, but they're all text based, which may be a turn off.

EDIT: I'm guessing this[\url] is the Constructor game that was being talked about. It's also talked about [url=http://www.aquarionics.com/2004/04/24/installing_old_games/]here where they have a short summary as well as some info about what to do if you have difficulty installing it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 05:37:35 pm by Bluerobin427 »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 05:52:48 pm »

All you need is a good quality axe, shovel and a couple different saws and you can turn that forest in your backyard into a 4 story apartment building.

Unless you live in the city, in which case there's probably already one there.

Well then you can deconstruct it and build your own with pretty much the same equipment.

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 09:02:30 pm »

Hinterland is awful.

You build a town and then destroy the three enemy forts, and it's over. Yaaay...

The game mechanics are severly lacking, too. I mean, ambitious idea, and I hope that their sales not only encourage but enable them to make something with more content, but man... Hinterlands, Sim Societies, that nile game? All grand ideas with too little content, except Sim Societies which is just endless building with no challenge.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 10:30:21 pm »

stranded 2 has a little bit of this, but I don't really like how they handle gathering resources (attack the trees!)

EDIT: and I totally forgot about the OP  :P
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 01:53:18 am by HideousBeing »

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 01:10:47 am »

Well, since none of these suit my taste I only have one option.Make my own game.   I have a programmer working with me and we're working on the details. Once I feel the project has advanced enough I'll post a thread for it.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 07:08:59 pm »

Yeah I played Children of the Nile (single player game) but you're right, it was too limited. And instead of building from the ground up like Toady, they (of course, like everyone else) just coded in lots of little exceptions and side rules.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 [2] 3