Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: The funds! The funds are holding us back!  (Read 24291 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The funds! The funds are holding us back!
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2010, 05:31:31 am »

Because talking smack in person is dangerous.

With the number of passive-aggressive programmers on this forum then smack talking online could be dangerous too ;)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2010, 06:00:34 am »

With the number of passive-aggressive programmers on this forum then smack talking online could be dangerous too ;)
Don't be silly.
Because talking smack in person is dangerous.
What's your IP address again?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2010, 09:44:11 am »

But with all the effort donors are putting down, there is only response to the blatant lack of respect that was shown in this months report.

Quote from: Toady One
A bit of a dip, which is understandable since I haven't released the game yet.  Thanks to those that donated in February!

Blatant lack of respect. Right :D
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2010, 10:11:32 am »

But with all the effort donors are putting down, there is only response to the blatant lack of respect that was shown in this months report.

Quote from: Toady One
A bit of a dip, which is understandable since I haven't released the game yet.  Thanks to those that donated in February!

Blatant lack of respect. Right :D

Or put another way. 

It may seem like "lack of respect" at first/out of context.  But in context, considering that Threetoe usually comments on funding with a dramatic flair, it was completely benign.  Coupled with Toady's comments, the report as a whole was quite generous towards donaters.

P.S.  If we're going to ask the dissenters to be more open minded and polite towards Toady and Threetoe, perhaps we could be more polite and open minded toward the dissenters.

P.P.S  Or perhaps since this is a forum on the Internet we shouldn't expect politeness to work and/or not feed the trolls.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2010, 02:34:28 pm »

Just popping in to say one thing.

1 - When you are being given money that exceeds the average income for the country you live in.

That is a blatant lye, according to the page you linked too he earned in February a bit more than 1/3 of his average earning potential and that is only if he only has a Bachelor's degree. I think I read somewhere* that he has a Master's degree making it so he only earned a bit more than 1/4 of his average earning potential. If he has a Doctorate degree (something that I am not leaving out.) than it is more like 1/4.5.

*Don't remember where so I may be wrong. If I am wrong that it is 1/1.8 at the LEAST and probably much more.

Hell, even if you take out the fact that he is a white male and is educated he STILL earned less than average.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2010, 03:21:11 pm »

Too bad you can't set up regular donations without a credit card.

My bank (USAA) has a way to generate a paper check automatically each month and mail it to an address of my choice.  I forget exactly how I figured out what address to use -- I think it was the same address used for "mail your donation checks here" -- but after a short exchange of e-mails with Toady, we were able to set up a recurring monthly donation.

It's not terribly hard, and if you want to make it happen, you can call your bank (on a telephone!) and probably get it done in an hour.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 04, 2010, 04:13:39 pm »

Just popping in to say one thing.

1 - When you are being given money that exceeds the average income for the country you live in.

That is a blatant lye,

Better be careful or you might get buuuuuurned.

(chemically)

;)

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 04, 2010, 06:15:41 pm »

If he has a Doctorate degree (something that I am not leaving out.) than it is more like 1/4.5.
He actually is a Doctor of Mathematics. He once said which special field it was, but I'm not so sure anymore. Something about geometry? Anyway, yes, he's a Doctor.

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2010, 02:32:22 pm »

Just want to Corroborate Nihilist's post that $2000/mo. before taxes is pretty much the bare minimum you need to get by without skimping on long term stuff like health insurance and pants. Or, say, have enough money to fix your computer if the current one starts having issues.

I can understand how there would be consternation if donations started trending the below $2k direction.

I also noticed that nobody complaining about the hard sell said how much they'd donated already. Because if a great game and the soft sell weren't enough to motivate you, and the hard sell annoys you, there's a good chance you aren't really a prospective donor if were being honest. And so the sale's pitch is not directed at you;

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 05, 2010, 05:17:15 pm »

I also noticed that nobody complaining about the hard sell said how much they'd donated already. Because if a great game and the soft sell weren't enough to motivate you, and the hard sell annoys you, there's a good chance you aren't really a prospective donor if were being honest.
That's because this thread is not for bragging around about how much you donated. There are other threads for that, like the Donathon threads. Otherwise, it looks like "Look at me, I'm a good fan. Are YOU?"
And that's no good.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2010, 02:22:53 am »

Just want to Corroborate Nihilist's post that $2000/mo. before taxes is pretty much the bare minimum you need to get by without skimping on long term stuff like health insurance and pants. Or, say, have enough money to fix your computer if the current one starts having issues.

People keep saying this, but countless American families are living at wages below this. Toady is making a fair wage for a young bachelor.

Not so much for a Ph. D, if it is true that he has one. It all depends on the degree and what profession he goes into.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2010, 03:21:43 am »

People keep saying this, but countless American families are living at wages below this. Toady is making a fair wage for a young bachelor.

Not so much for a Ph. D, if it is true that he has one. It all depends on the degree and what profession he goes into.

American families making under that amount benefit from programs that help provide for basic needs. EIC, WIC, Food stamps, Tax benefits(Its about an extra $2000 back per kid(simplified)) And they get all that help because living with less than that is very difficult. Hell I can't even afford basic health insurance.

Edit: forgot the point- Its called living below poverty level for a reason, its possible - but god does it suck.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 06, 2010, 03:33:22 am »

In the US the poverty line for one person is 1000 USD a month. Every extra dependent increases the line by like 200 dollars. So a family of four with three dependent is still consider poor if their making 1600 or under.

Toady is not below the poverty line. He not rolling in dough. Thankfully he does live in one of the cheapest states, so that does help. Though from snippets of the dev, it does sound like he lives from donation to donation, as he doesn't have a lot saved.

He hasn't seem to replaced his laptop yet, that was several months ago.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 06, 2010, 04:48:32 am »

As an average single Washingtonian I
Make ~$2000 a month working 46 hour 6 day weeks.
Spend $1300+ on Rent/power/net/house supplies
Spend $200+ on food.
Spend $150+ on gas/car insurance

Leaving me with under $350 each month for anything else.
I live in a cheaper part of the state.

These bills are crazy! I didn't know living in the US is so damn expensive.
You would have a whole family (or even two!) living in luxury for that money in Europe. (Edit: I mean for 2000$)

Also keep in mind that your 350$ "for everything else" is more that I have for everything. Fortunately you can live here just fine for that.

With your 350$ left you can theoretically buy a new computer every 2 months, I definitely wouldn't call your situation bad, no matter whether you are happy with it or not.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 07:31:38 am by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 06, 2010, 07:09:20 am »

Ah, but you forget, Dollars are worth less than Euros and Sterling, so those numbers need to be dialled back a bit to get their worth in our currency.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13