Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: The funds! The funds are holding us back!  (Read 24308 times)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The funds! The funds are holding us back!
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2010, 03:48:02 pm »

Nonono, that's not what happens.

The thought process is thus:
- Funding is down.
- Funding is down because there have been no releases.
- We must release soon.
- Thus, skip anything we can skip without compromising quality.

40d# definitely falls into that category; the game runs perfectly well without it, and his current codebase is 40d#-less anyway.

Personally, having been using #16 exclusively, I'd probably wait until DF'10 was updated with the 40# open gl stuff before playing. Resizable windows & zooming is just too nice. I had assumed it would be part of DF'10 release, and work would be happening right now to be integrating it, in parallel with the regular game bugfixes.

This... I've logged 500+ hours in dwarf fortress and df40d16 is the best version so far...
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2010, 03:48:07 pm »

Then it is settled. We will ship Toady to Mother Russia! All will be well!

He'll be rich then! I see nothing wrong with this!

In Mother Russia, Mother Russia is shipped to you!

... wait ... what?

I don't know if Toady wants to own Russia. Seems like a hassle.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

krukef

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2010, 06:12:15 pm »

Freakin... there are so many fan-boy morons here. Ok, listen up:

1 - When you are being given money that exceeds the average income for the country you live in* you don't respond with a thankless display of passive-aggressive whining.

2 - The fact that we call it donations does not in any way whatsoever mean that we aren't paying Toady for his services. How many people here would donate if Toady publicly decided to never release anything? 99.9% of donations come from people that want to contribute to a game they really love, namely DF. No one is giving Toady money for nothing.

3 - If Toady is not satisfied with the amount of money he gets, he can better tell us how much money is required. With all the effort donors are putting down, it's just

So please, fanboys - and yes, I'm talking to YOU - stop fawning over Toady. Donating money is good. Kudos to everyone who does. You are definitively contributing to DF in a meaningful way. Go you. But with all the effort donors are putting down, there is only response to the blatant lack of respect that was shown in this months report: Don't be a pussy. If Toady can't tell us anything straight, at least have some balls and tell him to sod off.

It's not harsh at all. It's just tough love!

source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_income_in_the_United_States

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2010, 06:41:30 pm »

Just a note: The 'average single guy' you're all talking about doesn't have to pay the hosting costs for the website and this forum

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2010, 06:53:29 pm »

Toady didn't say anything about the "funds" - that was Three Toe.

Toady said:

A bit of a dip, which is understandable since I haven't released the game yet.  Thanks to those that donated in February!

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2010, 07:00:33 pm »

As an average single Washingtonian I
Make ~$2000 a month working 46 hour 6 day weeks.
Spend $1300+ on Rent/power/net/house supplies
Spend $200+ on food.
Spend $150+ on gas/car insurance

Leaving me with under $350 each month for anything else.
I live in a cheaper part of the state.

No don't get me wrong - you can easily live on less. The point I'm trying to make though is at 2000 a month in donations, Toady is barely above poverty level. He probably has expenditures similar to mine plus the web hosting bills on top of that. Not to mention that cat care usually runs $100+ a month
He quit his "real" job to dedicate himself to the project and that should be respected. Anyways Three-Toes writting are a picture of the months donations - not a plea to donate more. The evil that is PR is born out of misuderstanding like this.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2010, 07:07:09 pm »

Freakin... there are so many fan-boy morons here.

I stand corrected. NOW people are rising to the bait. Calling all Internet Tough Guys.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2010, 07:21:18 pm »

He hasn't lost me. It's just that I'm not feeling like I should give up the money they're asking for when there's no new content to keep me playing.

Then don't donate.

Also stop trolling plzkthx.

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2010, 07:23:47 pm »

ZeroGravitas doesn't seem to be trolling.

This guy on the other hand:

aggressive whining
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 07:29:31 pm by Appelgren »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2010, 07:26:56 pm »

Freakin... there are so many fan-boy morons here. Ok, listen up:
Dude . . . that just isn't fair.  One, as said, it was Threetoe, not Toady.  Two, things don't always come out the way they are intended.  You're basically making an assumption on the entirety of his demeanor based solely on a single statement that may or may not have been meant as a passive-aggressive request for donations - which is cannot be debated to a final conclusion with what information we have.  Three - also as has been stated - Toady has to pay for additional costs aside from the cost of living the average person of his income would pay.  Thus he is, in a sense, getting less than average to maintain his income.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2010, 04:47:00 am »

You guys forget that Toady has to have at least an expensive  10Ghz Nitrogen-cooled computer to run DF properly  ;D

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2010, 05:00:52 am »

This thread turned into a flamewar thanks to people like Krukef.

Most of people I know here are not 'fan-boy morons', they have established families and income and are respectful people at life.

Also I didn't see "fanboy morons'" posts, we tried to be respectful and show our point of view. But when the trolls come, it's better to lock the cages before the booze is spilled.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2010, 05:02:23 am »

Also I didn't see "fanboy morons'" posts, we tried to be respectful and show our point of view. But when the trolls come, it's better to lock the cages before the booze is spilled.

Or drink the booze and lock the trolls in the cage. That way we can all get back to mining the nice blue stuff out of the ground.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2010, 05:16:29 am »

INTERNET TOUGH GUYS!

Because talking smack in person is dangerous.

Personally I love internet tough guys. Always good for a laugh.

Ailure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2010, 05:25:13 am »

Didn't seem passive aggressive to me, just a bit overly ThreeToe dramatic (and it's understandable if funds are a huge drive for them).

I might pay a little bit when the next version is out. :9
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13