Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: PSN Is Down (Lol Nevermind)  (Read 4554 times)

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
PSN Is Down (Lol Nevermind)
« on: March 01, 2010, 10:03:52 am »

The Play Station Network went down sometime last night. Normally I'd say "Oh well" and continue gaming offline, as I grew up in the days before online play. But no, not only was the online community affected, but through some terrible glitch in the trophy system a few OFFLINE games no longer work. Including Call of Duty MW2. This is affecting ALL the oldschool "fat" models. The Slim models seem to be unaffected.

Normally I only have nice things to say about Sony, but an offline crash is just unacceptable, something one would expect more from a 360.

http://terminalgamer.com/2010/03/01/psn-down-data-corruption-issues-being-reported/
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:51:49 pm by UristMcGunsmith »

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PSN Is Down
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 10:17:39 am »

I like it how everyone's bashing the X360 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4TMVEOr1FY&feature=response_watch she mentioned the 360 as well) but I never had any problems with the X360, only the RLOD a few times.
Tsch :P

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 10:28:47 am »

The night I actually got off my ass with an uber hankering to shoot people in the face in an online game....  and I find this...  :'(

I was quite tempted to use my 1 year xbox live card, but got lazy.  Those things don't expire right?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 11:21:15 am »

but I never had any problems with the X360, only the RLOD a few times.

Excuse my ignorance... but isn't the RLOD a 'problem'? In fact, I'd go so far as to venture it is a serious problem... But, I've never owned a 360 or had to deal with sending it away for week(s) to be repaired, so I wouldn't know from experience.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 11:34:16 am »

I do have a 360, PS3, and a gaming PC. I've had to send in my 360 to be repaired 3 times. I can't say that it wasn't easy, because Microsoft did a good job of handling the problem every time and was 100% free, but that doesn't excuse the breaking all the time.

I've never had a problem with my PS3 until last night  :-[

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 12:20:29 pm »

My 360 is at my house, and apparently it's finally bricked.  I knew it was coming, it froze in any games with a lot to render because of that video card soldering bead thing, and several games had inexplicably become unreadable, despite being relatively undamaged.
Shoes...

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 12:32:24 pm »

Allegedly, It's a problem with the internal clock of "fat" ps3's. I've heard many things, but the consensus seems to be that "fat" ps3s have all reset their clock to 1999, thus rendering new services/everything broken. 80GB fats work, and all slims work.
If this just a shit ploy to get moar ps3s bought then Sony are fucked.
Hopefully they'll release a patch though, even if it just resets the date to now.
Meanwhile I'll be playing MAG on my lovely slim :3
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 12:35:03 pm »

Allegedly, It's a problem with the internal clock of "fat" ps3's. I've heard many things, but the consensus seems to be that "fat" ps3s have all reset their clock to 1999, thus rendering new services/everything broken. 80GB fats work, and all slims work.
If this just a shit ploy to get moar ps3s bought then Sony are fucked.
Hopefully they'll release a patch though, even if it just resets the date to now.
Meanwhile I'll be playing MAG on my lovely slim :3

I find the idea that this would be a ploy hilarious, even Microsoft wouldn't put an intentional crippling glitch in on purpose like this.

Hopefully the patch (coming as soon as Sony figures SOMETHING out) will allow an option to disable Trophies finally? I'd love that :P

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 12:36:32 pm »

Hmm if its an internal clock problem....   I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

Also, I don't see how anyone is going to get a patch if they can't connect to the PSN servers...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 12:40:48 pm »

Sony has made a HUGE deal about how the internal clock is absolutely, completely 100% read-only and unhackable.  Combined with "We can't get online to get any patches", this is going to be HILARIOUS.

But yeah.  It's not just online games at all.  It's tons of offline games, and even the ability to play blu-ray discs for at least some people...They're as good as bricked.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 01:11:48 pm »

Sony has made a HUGE deal about how the internal clock is absolutely, completely 100% read-only and unhackable.  Combined with "We can't get online to get any patches", this is going to be HILARIOUS.

But yeah.  It's not just online games at all.  It's tons of offline games, and even the ability to play blu-ray discs for at least some people...They're as good as bricked.

QQ  and this is my launch ps3...  I don't want to lose it.

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 01:17:40 pm »

You can't set the time yourself.
Just gonna have to be patient.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 01:49:06 pm »

Excuse my ignorance... but isn't the RLOD a 'problem'? In fact, I'd go so far as to venture it is a serious problem... But, I've never owned a 360 or had to deal with sending it away for week(s) to be repaired, so I wouldn't know from experience.

I've had mine RROD (Red Ring Of Death" twice, and both times I got it back in 3 days, with a free month membership card. With all the problems I see people have with the PS3, I really think its just a case of sony's fanboys being louder than the xbox's
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 02:12:10 pm »

I've had mine RROD (Red Ring Of Death" twice, and both times I got it back in 3 days, with a free month membership card. With all the problems I see people have with the PS3, I really think its just a case of sony's fanboys being louder than the xbox's
In college my roommate's xbox went red three different times in two years. The first time it took weeks (yes, there is an 's' on the end making it plural) to get back. The second time took around a week, and the third time I don't know the exact length because he was at home when it happened.
Call me a fanboi, but in my mind those problems are pretty freaking horrendous and have nothing to do with the console wars or fanboy propaganda.
And, again, call me a fanboi, but (aside from this network/clock incident) I have never heard of a ps3 problem before.
I admit I do own a ps3 but I am far from a die hard fanboy. I got it because it comes with a free bluray player (I got it back when a stand-alone blueray box cost more than a ps3) but to this date I have never experienced a technical problem ever with my ps3. I know the ps3 is a stronger, better machine when it comes to the hardware. Others can waste their breath arguing about which is a better gaming console all other things considered, but I think it is pretty fair to say the 'xbox hardware problems' are not simply a result of sony fanboys being louder than microsoft's.

Again, I don't give a crap about which is the better console all other things considered. I'll actually add that if I gamed primarily on console, I'd have gotten an xbox (its of my opinion it is a better multiplayer gaming system for a number of reasons). All I am referring to are the hardware problems; this incident is the first time I have ever heard of a widespread hardware problem with the ps3.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 02:14:11 pm »

I just get bothered with the RROD getting so much attention. Its not /that/ bad and the customer service is rather good.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: [1] 2 3