Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: PSN Is Down (Lol Nevermind)  (Read 4543 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: PSN Is Down
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 02:37:03 pm »

It's my impression that the red ring was a much bigger problem earlier on; in response to all the bad rap they were getting microsoft really cleaned up their customer service for that. Took about five days to fix mine when it RROD'd. Still crazy, but meh.

As for PS3, this is what comes of making everything read-only and assuming everything will just work. I personally think it's funny that the people who are most effected are the ones that were most loyal to sony and bought the consoles at launch. Yeah.

Meanwhile, I've got this computer...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 02:40:53 pm »

I just get bothered with the RROD getting so much attention. Its not /that/ bad and the customer service is rather good.
It is not that bad?
You kidding me? WHen you buy a several hundred dollar product and then it stops working until sent in and fixed, sometimes multiple times a year- and a seemingly majority of product owners suffer from the problem- That is bad. That is horrible.
Just like when your product decides to cease working online, and even offline for some games for a seemingly majority of your users- That is bad. That is horrible.
Sony F'd up big with this problem. Being a self proclaimed not-fanboy I will be first in line to say this is bad business and Sony deserves all the flames the haters throw their way.
But that brings me to my next point: This is the first 'big problem' I have heard of with the ps3. The fact that xbox owners have been sporadically fighting similar worse problems for years, often more than once per user, thats just ridiculous. I say worse since the problem cannot be fixed remotely and requires actually shipping your system back- now I am completely aware we do not know the extend of this ps3 problem and in the end it may prove much worse than its made out to be, but for now I am going under the assumption this one time incident will be remotely fixed within a matter of days.

Gosh... if I could start a company and sell a low-end, breakdown-prone piece of hardware but back it with great customer service and get the same blind loyalty as microsoft does with the xbox.... wow... I'd be rich. Any time you have your own victim customers defending your company from its hardware problems you are in a win situation
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 02:42:29 pm by Goron »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 02:41:57 pm »

One potential guess at how this might turn out:  "Bring your PS3 to a local game shop, which we will have supplied with a handy-dandy PS3-fixing hub.  Plug it in, let it do its thing, and you're good to go."
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 04:20:22 pm »

Gosh... if I could start a company and sell a low-end, breakdown-prone piece of hardware but back it with great customer service and get the same blind loyalty as microsoft does with the xbox.... wow... I'd be rich. Any time you have your own victim customers defending your company from its hardware problems you are in a win situation

Actualy, most companies use cheap, error-prone stuff because you're not going to spend a lot of money to make a machine last a decade whe 90% of it is already replacd within 3 years. It just seems Microsoft miscalculated the lifetime of their machine.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 04:30:22 pm »

I'm allowed to hate Xbox360s, mine has broken 4 times, 3 RROD's, and now it crashes and freezes all the time. They can repair it all they want, I don't like stuff that breaks this much.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 04:35:15 pm »

Actualy, most companies use cheap, error-prone stuff because you're not going to spend a lot of money to make a machine last a decade whe 90% of it is already replacd within 3 years. It just seems Microsoft miscalculated the lifetime of their machine.
I guess thats true, in a way. Not to mention in the case of consoles and similar machines, you don't want it to have too long a life, that way it entices users to upgrade to the next generation when available.

Interesting info: something like 90% of hondas sold in the last 20 years are still in use:-)
I don't drive a Honda, I just happened to read that somewhere recently... then again, maybe it was another company... but you get the point:-)
My Mercedes is 5 years old and still kicking like new... of course a car costs buttloads more than an xbox.

All I can hope for (And I assume most hope for) is that their console lasts long enough to make it to the next gen- whether there are bumps on the way or not. Actually... I'm not really sure why I have a ps3 in the first place. I thought I was going to play lots of Madden and NCAA... but I don't. I just dick around in GTA4 these days as I have not committed to spend the money on Uncharted 2 and I don't have the time/ease of access to friends to play multi-games with. I miss the days of high school and college- when it was easy to get together and play games with friends... I don't even watch many bluray movies anymore now that netflix is charging like 4$ extra a month for bluray access. F-that; most of the (older movie) blu-ray disks out there these days are no different than standard dvd...

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 05:02:44 pm »

Actually i might as well point out here, guys-

RROD's can be fixed. My brother's done it 3 times, because once it got sent in for us, it voids the warranty if it's sent in once. At most, takes a day. My brother can fix the RROD, in our bedroom. And not using very special equipment, either. Just some rags, mabye some other stuff. But, you know, you have to actually open the hardware and mess around with it. Either way, the RROD isn't that bad once you know how to fix it in your own house.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 05:41:50 pm »

because once it got sent in for us, it voids the warranty if it's sent in once.

Seriously? That's pretty nasty. Wouldn't even be legal here in Norway.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 06:09:50 pm »

It's a problem with the internal clock of "fat" ps3's. I've heard many things, but the consensus seems to be that "fat" ps3s have all reset their clock to 1999, thus rendering new services/everything broken.
Wait... Sony just got Y2Ked?

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 06:16:28 pm »

It's a problem with the internal clock of "fat" ps3's. I've heard many things, but the consensus seems to be that "fat" ps3s have all reset their clock to 1999, thus rendering new services/everything broken.
Wait... Sony just got Y2Ked?

Exactly.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 06:49:17 pm »

because once it got sent in for us, it voids the warranty if it's sent in once.

Seriously? That's pretty nasty. Wouldn't even be legal here in Norway.

Didn't happen to me.

I just get bothered with the RROD getting so much attention. Its not /that/ bad and the customer service is rather good.

My problem with this is that sony made my uncle pay to get his ps3 fixed, and he's had to do that 3 times and it was under warranty. the xbox has broken 3 times for me, and its been fixed quickly, i've gotten free stuff out of it, and it wasn't under warranty the last two times. Besides, calling my loyalty blind is hardly justified when I know the company looks out for me rather than doing what sony does.

This is all in my experience though, feel free to tell me i'm blind for having equal breakdown rates and only having customer service as the decider here.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 07:46:52 pm »

Mileage may vary. 

I hear-tell its fixed...  I'll have to see when I get home...
Search of psn twitter on google be the hear-say.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 08:06:05 pm »

Yah, everywhere I've looked it seems to be up and running again, haven't touched mine yet

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2010, 08:49:45 pm »

Confirmed. Crysis averted. :)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: PSN Is Down (Lol Nevermind)
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2010, 09:09:46 pm »

On a sidenote, Crysis 2 comes out for PS3.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.
Pages: 1 [2] 3