Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: GCS Aren't Breeding  (Read 2245 times)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
GCS Aren't Breeding
« on: March 01, 2010, 06:45:58 am »

I've captured three giant cave spiders in a little temple inside my fortress. Two males and one female. They are not tamed, and all three have gotten many kills and earned titles.

I modded in their ability to breed, but so far as I can tell, they are not (it's possible that the children are stealthed)

Is there anything in this raw entry that would prevent them from breeding and having children? Anything missing or anything present? My changes are in red.

[CREATURE:SPIDER_CAVE_GIANT]
   [NAME:giant cave spider:giant cave spiders:giant cave spider]
   [SPECNAME:MALE:giant cave spider myrmidon:giant cave spider myrmidons:giant cave spider myrmidon]
   [SPECNAME:FEMALE:giant cave spider matron:giant cave spider matrons:giant cave spider matron]

[TILE:'S'][COLOR:7:0:0]
   [MODVALUE:10]
   [LARGE_ROAMING][FREQUENCY:100][DIFFICULTY:3]
   [EXTRACT:giant cave spider venom:7:0:0]
   [EXTRACT_VALUE:100]
   [EXTRACT_PARALYZE][NATURAL][PET_EXOTIC]
   [EXTRACT_ANTIDOTE:giant cave spider antivenin:7:0:0:100]
   [WEBBER][THICKWEB][WEBIMMUNE][AMBUSHPREDATOR][PARALYZEIMMUNE]
   [LARGE_PREDATOR]
   [GENPOWER:4]
   [BLOODTYPE:W][CHITIN]
   [PETVALUE:2500]
   [GRASSTRAMPLE:10]
   [CARNIVORE]
   [NOPAIN][EXTRAVISION][NOSTUN][NOEMOTION][NOSKULL][NOBONES]
   [BUILDINGDESTROYER:1]
   [NOFEAR][DAMBLOCK:2]
   [PREFSTRING:mystery]
   [BODY:SPIDER:2EYES:HEART:GUTS:BRAIN:MOUTH]
   [SIZE:10]
   [MAXAGE:320:330]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH][SPECIALATTACK_INJECT_EXTRACT:50:100]
   [FAT:1]
   [NO_SLEEP]
   [ALL_ACTIVE]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:5:10]
   [CLUSTER_NUMBER:5:10]
   [CHILD:3][CHILDNAME:giant cave spider archon:giant cave spider archons]

[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM]
   [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER]
   [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_LAVA]

[HOMEOTHERM:10040]
   [STANDARD_FLESH]
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GCS Aren't Breeding
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 08:31:06 am »

The usual questions about clearing out the ...\data\objects folder and restarting DF. The usual question about how you are containing the GCS (chain/cage/pit)?

Adamantine Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 11:17:38 am »

Well, seeing as I have no idea how GCS stealthing works, you might want to try using Dwarf Companion to see if there may be little stealthed GCS kiddies running about.
and D) involve Clippy, the helpful paperclip, to tell you what to do.
It looks like you are trying to commit elven genocide! What would you like to do?

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 02:35:17 pm »

need a [liTTERSIZE:min:max] tag before it'll breed?

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 03:14:11 pm »

I think you should try taming one of them and sees what happens. Also do they have the correct names or are they just "Giant Cave Spiders"?
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 03:26:39 pm »

I think you should try taming one of them and sees what happens. Also do they have the correct names or are they just "Giant Cave Spiders"?

They have the correct names (Matron and Myrmidon) and they are free-roaming inside the enclosure I built.

All of the changes in red were made after the world was generated and all of them seem to have taken effect (war dogs can only put grey injuries on them because of DAMBLOCK 2, etc) except for breeding.

Most breeding animals don't have a litter-size tag, as multiple litters is the default for a breeding animal.

I've added the [NATURAL] tag which specifies a normal terrestrial animal and may deal with breeding.

They cannot be tamed because I have no Dungeon Master and they have each killed 20-30 members of my civilization (animals)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 04:35:47 pm by Noble Digger »
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 10:25:05 pm »

I believe if you add in the ability to breed after world-gen it won't work... so right now in your currently genned world GCS couldn't breed then you said you can, well they never done it before (hehe) so short story straight I believe you need to re-gen for breeding to work

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 11:14:06 pm »

I believe if you add in the ability to breed after world-gen it won't work... so right now in your currently genned world GCS couldn't breed then you said you can, well they never done it before (hehe) so short story straight I believe you need to re-gen for breeding to work

Thanks, do you have any basis for saying this, like, have you tested this or ran into the same problem lately?
quib·ble

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 02:46:24 am »

Hold on a second,
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_LAVA]?!

You're spawning it in MAGMA PIPES?!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 03:44:41 am »

hmm. a simpler way to test this might be to give mules the ability to breed. do you have any mules about?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 09:59:22 am »

Hold on a second,

Yup he is, doesn't look to be Magma Proof though. For something interesting search for the Magma Spiders thread.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 01:17:11 pm »

Since my map is a Glacier and GCS freeze to death, I wanted them to spawn in every possible underground feature, on every tile worth of said features, in groups of 5-10. As expected, a year after embarking there were 30+ dead ones because they spawned on the exterior areas of the chasm, in the magma pipe, etc. but I have been able to find covens of them living in the walls of the chasm, which is where I got the 3 I have caught. There were 7 in the coven, but 4 of them froze to death in cages before I figured out that the cages needed to be indoors.

Checking the chasm walls with Stonesense, there are no fewer than 50 more Spiders in the chasm alone.
quib·ble

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 10:15:27 pm »

Hold on a second,

Yup he is, doesn't look to be Magma Proof though. For something interesting search for the Magma Spiders thread.

Heh - I've been quoted!  Well, referenced, anyway.  It's a start.  That was a thread I started, it worked out beautifully, and I'm Magma Spider silk farming in my current fort... with tame GCS for as the lure for them to fire silk at, so that the GCS fires silk back at them and they don't trample each other's webs...

It's fun.  :-)

Oh, and the thread is here:http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=48523.0

Reading it again, I see a couple of posts on the end that I hadn't read, one of them noting that the silk will be destroyed by the magma... but I left it that way on purpose.  Nothing like being webbed, then having the web catch fire.  I think that gives them enough of a danger edge to make up for removing the AMBUSH_PREDATOR tag.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 12:22:16 am »

So... Did you get either species to breed?
quib·ble

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 12:56:45 am »

Oh, I didn't try to do that.  I did make the Magma Spiders immortal though (well, they don't die of old age, same as Fire Imps), so I don't have to worry about them aging out of the system.

But I didn't want to make GCS breed - high mod value, high combat value... too easy.  Actually, I might like to make them breed, but only if you could give them a long gestation period - some way to replace themselves (they die of old age) but not the population explosion that you can so very easily get from breeding animals as currently exists.

Yes, you could make them have a long childhood (which makes sense), even a couple of years as babies (if that functionality works on animals... hmm, have to check that).  But even so, you'll still have a litter (even if you limit that to one) every year, which adds up pretty quick.
Pages: [1] 2