Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few miscellaneous suggestions  (Read 883 times)

ICMB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few miscellaneous suggestions
« on: August 30, 2006, 06:24:00 pm »

Hi.  I've been having a lot of fun with my dwarf fortresses (and donated!), but I have a few suggestions of features I'd like to see.  Some of these have been mentioned by others, but consider this a seconding in that case.

1) A way to get a summary inventory of all of your items in one page.  
2) A more streamlined interface for assigning jobs. Maybe a table showing dwarves in rows and jobs in columns, showing summaries at the bottom of each page of how many total dwarves are assigned to the job.
3) Job prioritizing so you can, for example, set a farmer to always farm when there is farmwork to be done, otherwise do one of several secondary jobs.
4) A summary report on what is making the dwarves happy or angry
5) I'd like a better roadmaking interface, maybe more like the way we mark areas for mining, detailing, etc.  After selecting an area it should then make you assign enough material to make the road.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few miscellaneous suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 07:39:00 pm »

#1 is already in, you just have to get the right noble.

#5, I don't see how that would be like mining or detailing.  If anything it's currently just like building a workshop, and I'd rather it be consistent to that than a unique way of building something.  Perhaps the best solution would be a message in the window showing the max dimensions of your bridge with the stone you've designated.

The rest everybody's already requested.   :p

ICMB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 09:39:00 pm »

Well, my complaint about building roads, as I understand it, is that I have to give the build road command, then select a pile of stone, and then mark out an area 3-wide (for a road) and as long as I can (seems like 8-10 spaces), and put it down.  Then I repeat that 15 times to build my road out to the edge of the map.  

I'd prefer to be able to designte a road area and have the necessary stone taken.  Actually, I'd like to see farm-plot placement the same.  Variable-size build targets are a lot harder to deal with in the current interface.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 11:11:00 pm »

I definitely think that a designation-style road-building system is needed.  I don't care whether it's similar to anything else or not; repeatedly dropping the same thing or selecting 30 rocks by hand is just not on.

I think the best way to do it would be to use designations, and then have the player select the types of materials they want used (from the ones available in their fortress).  The dwarves would then grab the nearest items of those types and throw them into the road.

Of course, it would have to somehow connect all the designations so you could choose materials for them at once...  Hrm.  Well, maybe when you edit the usable materials for a road designation, it could do some sort of a flood-fill to hit all connected road-designations with those new orders, including going over a bridge and over existing roads to find the rest of the designation.

But, in any case, selecting one rock at a time for such a huge project is painful, as is dropping roads repeatedly and resizing them one step at a time.  Those two things could really stand to be changed...  the bridge-building interface simply does not work for roads.

[ August 31, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 12:04:00 am »

I agree with the need for a quick-road system. While it is very cool to look at a bridge and have it say "This bridge was exceptionally designed by Architect Foo, and solidly built by Mason Bar", bridges are individual things; it doesn't seem right for individual segments of road to be considered an individual "road". It would be better to instead have the road designated (maybe with a switch like at the mason's to decide if you want it wooden, rough or smooth, and if not wood, whether you want it made from rock, light stone, dark stone, gold, etc), and then  an Architect gets to work setting up the foundations of the road much like a miner digs. Once pieces of the foundations are ready, the appropriate profession (carpenter, mason) can set about actually putting in the road tiles.

I assume that all of this will require the rewalling implementation first, though, so this is currently all just wishful thinking bloat, I guess. While we are at it, though: Indoor roads would be nice; I wouldn't mind creating a city where the streets are literally paved with gold.

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 12:34:00 am »

HI ICBM! are you for the inclusion of moonico's and radioactive ores?
HY DO THE DOGS KEEP EXPLODING?