Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: re-tooling some skills?  (Read 698 times)

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
re-tooling some skills?
« on: May 23, 2008, 08:49:00 pm »

Would it be terribly difficuly to re-toll the masonry skill?  I only ask because i find it odd that masonry is used both for the mason workshop and to build walls/floors/etc.  I keep running into the problem where my master mason is running off to build walls instead of crafting.  It would seem to me that the architecture skill might be better suited to the building (b + C) jobs.

Yeah/nay? Something i am overlooking?

I did a search but didnt find anything recent on skill adjustments like this.  If there is a list of these type suggestions or something similar, could someone who knows point it out to me?

thanks

GMcG

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: re-tooling some skills?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 09:27:00 pm »

I found it best to have people set to....

Miner, Mason, Engraver, Mechanic and Architect.

I give these skills to my miners.

I find it works out best, since when there not mining they go and do mason work.

So rather then having 5 miners / 5 masons, i have 10 of each     :)

Its best to combine a few jobs to dwarfs. If you need to build a lot of walls, stop mining for a bit and just focus on the walls.

[ May 23, 2008: Message edited by: The-Moon ]

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 03:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gorjo MacGrymm of Clan MacGrymm:
<STRONG>Would it be terribly difficuly to re-toll the masonry skill?  I only ask because i find it odd that masonry is used both for the mason workshop and to build walls/floors/etc.  I keep running into the problem where my master mason is running off to build walls instead of crafting.  It would seem to me that the architecture skill might be better suited to the building (b + C) jobs.</STRONG>
I'm indifferent to the separation of the skills.  What I really want is for the jobs to be distinct.

Keeping the skills combined may actually be helpful if, as, and when construction quality (strength or beauty) is ever implemented.

-----

My poor-man's workaround at present is, not to combine miners and masons because the two tend to work in different places in my forts and would become much less efficient if they took to jumping from job to job, but rather to mix in haulers with my masons and set all workshops to accept only skilled workers.  This was the method used to construct Mountain-Banners.

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 06:56:00 am »

I think putting all of the construction jobs to the Architect skill would be far better. At the moment it is really annoying, trying to keep my legendary Mason building furniture and the 10 dabbling masons I quickly made building the latest addition to my city.

Also, I can already see that someone is going to bring up some pathetic arguement about how "it would be unrealistic because the skill is called architect and they don't build things themselves"... re-name the skill "builder".

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 08:51:00 am »

It's not very realistic though, architects actually building stuff instead of just making the plans...
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 09:30:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>It's not very realistic though, architects actually building stuff instead of just making the plans...</STRONG>

AND hauling the materials.

I really hate that a single dwarf needs to drag ten stones to some remote part of the map to build a road.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 10:44:00 am »

Good point Fedor.  

I feel stupid now.......

DOH

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 04:11:00 pm »

quote:
I think putting all of the construction jobs to the Architect skill would be far better.

Very relevant to my interests!
My homemade "engineer" profession keeps me from having high value furniture, where many dabblers get carpenter/mason for just constructing walls and floors

EDIT: this way we can finally have legendary architects as well, and the building time of walls and floors should definitely be greatly increased!

[ May 25, 2008: Message edited by: gurra_geban ]

een failing lately?

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 09:25:00 pm »

I think part of this issue could be addressed with a simple adjustment of job task prioritization, couldn't it?

Alter the weights by different Mason tasks such that the ones that will usually be the most important to the player are more important.

Job assignment prioritization by skill level would be handy too, but it should be micromanageable and not hard-coded, as maybe you'd be trying to train the inexperienced ones with a given designation.

The latter could be achieved through micromanagement using the current interface, of course, it's just not easy to do it.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 08:52:00 am »

@ Align: Thank you for your reply about how architects building is unrealistic. If you read my post (just above yours) you'll see that I predicted you almost to the letter and have already supplied a simple solution.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 09:29:00 am »

Terribly sorry, but you'll agree that the guy who makes walls is a mason, not a "builder", right?
I wouldn't mind that, actually, but doing it for just one job would be weird. If you do that, you should also feel obligated to condense all the hauling jobs into "hauler", and the smelter/forge jobs into "smith".

[ May 27, 2008: Message edited by: Align ]

My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 04:35:00 am »

I would actually say that only the making of blocks in stone and the building of stone walls is to be considered "Masonsry"

The carving of Marble statues seems kind of weird in this context, I for one would never refer to Michelangelo as a Mason.

Carving furniture out of stone (which is already a stretch, since it should be highly impractical to do so), should not be a masonry task, but something a stonecrafter, or sculpter would do.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 04:48:00 am »

But you've got to factor in that this is dwarven, not human culture.  While we might find it rude to ask Michaelangelo to knock up a garden wall, a master dwarf mason who has dedicated his life to the crafting of stone would be more than happy to create a masterpiece in the humblest of locations.

A human might find crafting a chair from solid stone quick tricky, but such a task makes a very suitable apprenticeship for a dwarf mason.

I always make walls out of blocks (for my own personal aesthetic reasons), so the process is a bit more realistic anyway - mason makes blocks in workshop, carries blocks to building site, creates construction from blocks.

In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.