Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: How do you cheat? If at all?  (Read 9957 times)

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
Re: How do you cheat? If at all?
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 03:39:50 pm »

I don't cheat, except in adventurer mode.
I may add in a "make things harder" mod, like civilization forge: unleashed or dig deeper (if the download worked anymore :().
Really, other than that, I don't go into the raws.

In adventurer mode, however, I will savescum if I die.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Randomone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 04:33:52 pm »

I occasionally cheat by savescumming if something dumb happened, like my only miner killed in a channeling accident. Big accidents that dramatically ruin fortresses I endure, because it's Fun.

I also use Virtual Fortress with reveal off to get a general idea where deep underground features are. You can tell by the extra black space present where it's not suppoused to be.  :)
When it crashes the game, its a bug, when it causes mass homicide, its a feature.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 09:47:37 pm »

I save scum like crazy. I'll spend three or four days selecting a fortress site and doing layout, I don't have time to not save-scum.
You've said it so much more succinctly than I can.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2010, 12:43:59 am »

Mostly just save scumming. I use reveal if there's an underground water feature on my map (on a copy of the save) so I can start towercaps growing as soon as possible (not in an actual towercap farm, mind you, but pretty much just by draining a few murky pools (which tend to dry up and never return by the end of the year on the embarks I tend to take)).

Edit: But I think I'll start modding out aquifers, or at least putting them only in rock/soil layers I don't care about.  It's not the piercing that annoys me as much as the fact that I have to give up entire layers to them.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 08:51:43 pm by Malicus »

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2010, 01:25:05 am »

murky pools (which tend to dry up and never return by the end of the year on the embarks I tend to take)).

I know this is nothing to do with this thread, but has that aspect of the game due to be changed any time soon?

Arrival of Dwarves in a region shouldn't have that huge impact on the scattered ponds!
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2010, 03:30:30 am »

remember another way I cheat: add the firefly tags to the underground feature vermin.

THis has the nifty side effect of having them blink and show up even before you've discovered their particular underground feature. If you hunt hard, you can then get a general idea where said features are, by the little blinky lights in the darkness.

I consider this far less of a cheat than using the reveal tool, since this is such an imprecise method.

That's so cool :D I love the idea of twinkling lights leading dwarves to new adventures.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2010, 04:21:24 am »

I recently modded in souped up GCS as tamable pets available on embark to give me a viable alternative to traps when fending off the first Orc invasion in the first winter.

I usually butcher them all after i have ~20 or so Dwarves, which is enough to divert 4 - 5 to semiperminant Marksmen and still keep the fortress running at a reasonable pace.

I also modded Humans to have the USE_ANY_PET_RACE tag, because trying to get decent animals off the Elves is infuriating and needlessly annoying, plus with being able to get my awesome animals off the Humans, there is no longer any use for the Elves, except as training bolts.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 04:23:22 am by Neruz »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2010, 05:38:27 am »

I do not cheat.

Well, but if you consider using esxploits a cheating... quantum 1x1 dump area. Infinite quiver thing exploit.

Sometimes atom smashing on the dump area to get rid of all that rock.

Earlier, I loved setting some creature homeotherm to high numbers for 'flamey fun'.

And save-scums, if the seasonal save was too long ago and something very bad happened. (Bugs, accidental cavein and so on)

Today, I just play DF. *sigh* Losing is still fun though.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 05:40:20 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2010, 02:14:29 pm »

I've added in reactions to make glass barrels, it seemed reasonable. After catching a male and female dragon and taming them I did mod the race to have kids, I've got juvenile dragons stationed on chains about the fortress now. There was also one fortress after that where I made dwarves fireproof and gave them all a dragons firebreathing ability. It turns out having every member of your populace with a flamethrower in their mouth is just asking for trouble :)

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2010, 03:02:43 pm »

I removed aquifers.  All the best land was on them, and I never actually enjoyed that type of challenge...

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2010, 04:05:12 pm »

I removed aquifers.  All the best land was on them, and I never actually enjoyed that type of challenge...

How did you manage to do this?
I have the exact same problem, every nice area with any above-ground water source must have the damn aquifer...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 04:07:12 pm by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2010, 06:07:52 pm »

I have the exact same problem, every nice area with any above-ground water source must have the damn aquifer...
If I remember rightly, you just remove the [AQUIFER] tag from every kind of stone.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2010, 06:08:54 pm »

If I remember rightly, you just remove the [AQUIFER] tag from every kind of stone.

this
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2010, 08:30:26 pm »

does adding the [GLOWTILE] tag make vermin in places such as underground rivers and bottomless pits light up with their glowyness in fortress mode?
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2010, 12:03:04 am »

does adding the [GLOWTILE] tag make vermin in places such as underground rivers and bottomless pits light up with their glowyness in fortress mode?

even if the areas are not discovered yet. be sure to colour code the glow colours.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4