Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How do you cheat? If at all?  (Read 9953 times)

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you cheat? If at all?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 02:55:56 am »

I think cheating is essentially a meaningless term when it comes to single player sandbox-style games.

If you're just asking how I change the game, though, I added some smelter reactions to turn stone into wood, and another make wooden weapons for training purposes so my soldiers don't accidently maim each other sparring. I also duplicated all the goblin entreis in the raws twice, and made each copy bigger and with more DAMBLOCK than the last. My soldiers still cut them down in droves with medium (at best) quality weapons and armor, but at least it takes a little longer and my soldiers occasionally get more than a single light grey wound on thier pinky finger, or something.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 03:46:47 am »

I make metal mechanisms allowed.
Steel Mechanisms (or a similar, alternate magma-safe creation) definitely feel like cheating after all the tricks you have to employ to get your bauxite used in mechanism creation.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 05:08:18 am »

Remove all volcanic rock-types except obsidian.
Make obsidian mechanisms magma/fireproof.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 05:07:39 pm »

Mostly I just mod in a reaction that allows me to "cast" an anvil out of three bars of iron or steel at the smelter.

Other than that I might use Dwarf Companion to get certain dwarves out of bad situations, or Dwarf Manager to get those damn children working.

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 07:37:02 am »

I removed anything that WASN'T sand from my soil raws. I also use the diagonal water pressure removal trick. That's it unless you consider making a world gen for 95 volcanism with 20 volcanoes cheating.

EDIT: oops forgot, I LOVE Reveal.exe
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:37:21 am by Exiledhero99 »
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 09:48:50 am »

I save scum like crazy. I'll spend three or four days selecting a fortress site and doing layout, I don't have time to not save-scum.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 11:02:47 am »

I mod the game but I try to mod it to be balanced.

As far as actual cheating I started doing it more this year... I used to avoid doing so.

* I sometimes will turn off invaders for a few years now.  I try to find an RP reason for it though, if it's deep within my civ's territory I just fluff it as "It took awhile for the fighting to reach my fortress"  I'll turn it back on after 2 or 3 years.

* I'll use atom smashers for garbage disposal.  I try to make it make sense though by making the smasher completely out of iron bars.  But really, selling the goblin junk to traders seems like more of a cheat that smashing it all does.

* For surface forts I'll use Tweak's For Each Tile to make everything inside the walls classed as subterranian.  Lets the *blank*s stay inside orders work.

* I have used diagonal water flows to remove pressure.

* I use the water purifying properties of screw pumps.

* I use dwarven perpetual motion machines if no better power source is availible.

* I lock my hammerer in his room with a water pit and a food chute.  At least I make his room look spiffy first.

* I have on very rare occasions used For Each tile to create a water source high in a mountain to create a waterfall or geyser.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 12:18:53 pm »

DM to see if my suspicions about an ambush are correct.  Also to see where abouts they are because lets face it.  Having all my champions stationed out front gets boring after a while.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 03:54:10 pm »

I'm a necessary cheater. Basically if the purpose calls for it, the cheat is easily forgivable.

Examples:
Save-scumming for the purpose of if something completely BS and not fun at all (or embarking to realize you forgot a thing or 2) happens.

[CAVE-INS:OFF] for making constructions that would be independent from the land (floating cities, airships, etc.). Bloodfist being a great example. Of course, the cheat is only limited to the assigned area (in this case, the shipbuilding). The rest of the playing field must be played as if cave-ins are possible, and some gameplay is compromised (either more or less fun) depending on what's involved. In my most recent case: I have imps coming out of the magma pipe, and because I have cave-ins off, I can't drop a stone pancake on top of them. Alternative, however, is a sacrificial pit which doubles as a tomb and "Sealed Evil in a Can".

And if I'm tinkering around with Raws or design ideas or experimenting all sorts of things, I mess around with the Reactions chart, or embark options/values, and give myself all sorts of material I need.

But of course, the most common cheat I use is the VisFort reveal. It does the job of Reveal, but doesn't compromise my save, but it's mostly for stone color purpose. Any fun stuff found is usually accidental. It's how I found the remaining light red stones to finish the fist emblem on the ship.

Alternative, but more used as a tool is either DwarfCompanion or DFTherapist. DF Therapist is more often used for it's user-friendliness, and mostly to monitor stats and skills, and mass-assignment of jobs. Other than that, I don't really cheat with it. Just a better way to keep track of things.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 03:59:47 pm by Itnetlolor »

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 09:46:14 pm »

I use reveal just cause I hate having ugly tunnels crisscrossing my fort when im looking for that last bit of platinum to finish my platinum block road.
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

Ohtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 10:06:56 pm »

As I said in another thread, I tend to set it so that fire imps combust as soon as things load up, since I lost too many forts to the little bastards slipping through the fortifications or lighting everything on fire. If I'm on a major river, I remove a lot of the more hardcore tendencies of fish, though I never change hippos. Those are actually apparently accurately portrayed.
"He who fights with monsters should take care lest he become a monster… when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you…"
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 11:39:18 pm »

I wrote it somewhere already - I set the speed of everyone to faster variants if my FPS goes down to 2-3  :o

That way I'm not losing interest to the game, although this gives some very interesting results. Like a chaingun crossbows. Easily dodged, though.
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 02:51:22 pm »

remember another way I cheat: add the firefly tags to the underground feature vermin.

THis has the nifty side effect of having them blink and show up even before you've discovered their particular underground feature. If you hunt hard, you can then get a general idea where said features are, by the little blinky lights in the darkness.

I consider this far less of a cheat than using the reveal tool, since this is such an imprecise method.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 04:18:55 pm »

remember another way I cheat: add the firefly tags to the underground feature vermin.

THis has the nifty side effect of having them blink and show up even before you've discovered their particular underground feature. If you hunt hard, you can then get a general idea where said features are, by the little blinky lights in the darkness.

I consider this far less of a cheat than using the reveal tool, since this is such an imprecise method.

I should mod in glow worms that do this, just for flavor. I can also imagine doing this in the next version. Little flickering glowing lights everywhere in the darkness...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 02:42:07 pm »

I'm pretty sure that I modded the reactions to get more charcoal from wood, and I think I once gave elves wagons or something, but I can't think of anything else I've changed.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4