Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How did a fish get there?  (Read 2360 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: How did a fish get there?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 09:11:55 am »

wait, so if I make a pond, it'll fill up with trout, making a source of food? Cool!
No.  The visual appearance of vermin fish in a source of water is unrelated to what if any fish you will get from fishing from that water.  Ponds will sometimes produce turtles, but as far as I've been able to tell trout and most other fish can only be fished from naturally occurring streams and rivers.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 09:15:38 am »

:(

At least i have chicken. (no, seriously. I modded in chicken.)
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 11:18:32 am »

Can anyone tell me if they know how pond stocking works?  If I have an underground river I tap, and let the water there flow into cisterns, I assume I can actually fish in those underground water tiles for cave fish (my stagnant pools only give me lizards and turtles, and run out fast).  If I do get fish in them, would it be better to make one huge underground lake, or many smaller ponds?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 11:26:31 am »

if you dig a hole in the desert and fill it with water, you'll get turtles  ???

A mystery, but true.

If it's a desert, how did you get water?

Morgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 11:35:57 am »

As far as I can tell, it's similar to the "make an above ground holding tank, fill it from a brook, and it still had flow despite being an enclosed container so waterwheels work in it" thing. A filled pond area takes whatever attributes of the water source it came from or is nearest to, including biome stats, for fishing purposes.
Because it's so amusing to hear stories of the last recruit, pressganged into defending the fortress, making the critical shot that saves all the battle-hardened veterans... then going crazy because the cats have filled the dining room with miasma.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 01:26:15 pm »

As far as I can tell, it's similar to the "make an above ground holding tank, fill it from a brook, and it still had flow despite being an enclosed container so waterwheels work in it" thing. A filled pond area takes whatever attributes of the water source it came from or is nearest to, including biome stats, for fishing purposes.

So this means that if I divert underground river water into multiple little ponds within my fortress, I will be "fishing from" the same river, depleteing the same stock, even if they are completely seperate? 

What happens if I have a cistern half filled with water from stangant pools that I then fill the rest of the way with cave river water?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 01:46:32 pm »

What happens if I have a cistern half filled with water from stangant pools that I then fill the rest of the way with cave river water?
I am fairly certain that the source of the water is irrelevent.  What seems to matter is which biome the fished water is physically located in.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 07:04:49 pm »

Then, would an underground river make the entire mountainrange an underground river biome?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 07:46:53 pm »

Then, my pool near an underground river not being able to be fished from signifies that the entire river has no cave fish?
Hmm... I'll have to make another pool further away and see what happens.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 08:39:20 pm »

Last time I made a pond it told me "there are no fish in the southern swamps" every time I tried to fish from it...
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 09:20:50 pm »

If that's the case, then maybe an underground river's "Biome" is only the 48x48 tile that the natural river passes through?  I'll have to make a safe fishing lake underneath the original river, then.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 09:51:48 pm »

I once had a thriving castle in the middle of a desert. It was physically small, but on an aquifer and next to a brook. So I mine through the aquifer and get stuck at one point. I give up, and return to the castle business. I look at my stocks, and there's a massive amount of fish. I'm making my o,O at my monitor, while seeing a small 3*4 pool full of trout. Then I made my ^,^ face.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.
Pages: 1 [2]