Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: My very own Mordor  (Read 3058 times)

Tazgrent

• Bay Watcher
  • Suffer not the Elf to live.
    • View Profile
My very own Mordor
« on: February 28, 2010, 01:52:47 pm »

I just got one of the coolest geographical features in a mapgen EVER. It's a fairly enclosed region, almost totally surrounded by mountains, with a single entrance between the mountains(The Black Gate). The area is "Terrifying" evil, and the only inhabitants are goblins. There is also another entrance through a goblin underground road (The Pass of Cirith Ungol). I think I may have accidentally created Mordor. Guess where I'm going to embark?  ;D
The only notable thing to remember about dwarf beards is that when a pansy human and a dwarf argue over whether or not shaved chicks are better, they're probably not on the same page.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My very own Mordor
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 02:03:40 pm »

One does not simply embark into Mordor.

</obligatory>
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 02:04:32 pm »

make sure you remove all the ramps on the mountains, so the only way toget in is through the tunnel or the pass. alternatively, leave a few ramps, but scatter stonefall traps arount the mountains to stimulate rockfall and other dangers. also, someone was able to get the elves to bring them a GCS once. try and do that, so you can have your own "Shelob"
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Pigtail Cloth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 02:11:09 pm »

Just don't make any artifact rings, and beware of kobold thieves. They might not be kolbolds.  ;)

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 02:14:30 pm »

your just missing two things.......magma and "Fun"

(which you may have and just not discovered yet, one can only hope.)
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Tazgrent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 02:34:34 pm »

your just missing two things.......magma and "Fun"

(which you may have and just not discovered yet, one can only hope.)

Unfortunately there is no volcano but there is a mountain peak with a chasm and magma pit.
The only notable thing to remember about dwarf beards is that when a pansy human and a dwarf argue over whether or not shaved chicks are better, they're probably not on the same page.

SinisterMinisterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 03:10:03 pm »

You need to build Mount Doom. Put a pressure plate on the platform that goes above the magma, so when a dorf walks out there to pit a ring the mountain collapses.

Tazgrent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 03:33:51 pm »

make sure you remove all the ramps on the mountains, so the only way toget in is through the tunnel or the pass. alternatively, leave a few ramps, but scatter stonefall traps arount the mountains to stimulate rockfall and other dangers. also, someone was able to get the elves to bring them a GCS once. try and do that, so you can have your own "Shelob"

I just discovered my embark has a cave. Very Yes.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 03:36:38 pm »

You have a chasm, if that has a GCS that site is AWESOME.

Tazgrent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 03:39:50 pm »

And our first casualty. My military dwarf I brought for safety was wandering around for some reason and something pulled off his leg. He's alive, and stable, and I could theoretically keep him alive, but New Mordor has no room for the weak. He will be placed in a bed. Outside the Spider Cave.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 03:41:28 pm »

First image that came to mind was a castle built over a lake of magma...

Is that even possible where you are? Make a huge pit around the entrance to your fort and flood it with magma?

Tazgrent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 03:43:03 pm »

The magma is pretty far, and it's only a pool, so I'm limited in amount. In other news, there's a vein of gold in the cave. When i get a forging operation and an army, I'll get an expedition to try to clear it.

Edit: GIANT EAGLES. This is almost too good to be true. I almost expect to see an army marching through.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 03:46:10 pm by Tazgrent »

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 03:48:31 pm »

The magma is pretty far, and it's only a pool, so I'm limited in amount.
DAMN. SO CLOSE TO PERFECT.

Oh, well...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 04:01:06 pm »

Yes, if that was a true volcano, this would be absolutely perfect.

You should still make a giant black gate (pure obsidian is too much to ask, but you could still make it out of black stones like rhyolite), and make the actual "gate" drawbridges.  Set up some kind of "XOR" gate so that when the gate "opens" by setting the drawbridge down, another drawbridge at a right angle to the first one is raised, making it like the gates have swung open.

You also need to keep the magma pool far away, and your army focused near the gate, with a small pathway available through a treacherous mountainside area covered in stonefall traps as suggested above, which leads to a pit zone above the magma pool.  You should also have magma forges set up to channels leading away a little from the magma pool (so that the ledge can be left undefended in a seige without anyone triggering a "Theif! Protect the horde from the skulking filth!" message), so that you can forge some nice, PRECIOUS artifact gold rings in the fires of your magma pool.

You also need to mod some of your nearby wildlife to be suitable for an evil army.  You must then capture, tame, and train them.  For example, turn some nearby critters like naked mole dogs into nazguls.

In fact, bonus points if you save scum until you actually do get an artifact gold ring.  Then, once you are sure that you are getting a gold item at the forge, save scum until it has a suitable name.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Tazgrent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 04:03:10 pm »

Yes, if that was a true volcano, this would be absolutely perfect.

You should still make a giant black gate (pure obsidian is too much to ask, but you could still make it out of black stones like rhyolite), and make the actual "gate" drawbridges.  Set up some kind of "XOR" gate so that when the gate "opens" by setting the drawbridge down, another drawbridge at a right angle to the first one is raised, making it like the gates have swung open.

You also need to keep the magma pool far away, and your army focused near the gate, with a small pathway available through a treacherous mountainside area covered in stonefall traps as suggested above, which leads to a pit zone above the magma pool.  You should also have magma forges set up to channels leading away a little from the magma pool (so that the ledge can be left undefended in a seige without anyone triggering a "Theif! Protect the horde from the skulking filth!" message), so that you can forge some nice, PRECIOUS artifact gold rings in the fires of your magma pool.

You also need to mod some of your nearby wildlife to be suitable for an evil army.  You must then capture, tame, and train them.  For example, turn some nearby critters like naked mole dogs into nazguls.

In fact, bonus points if you save scum until you actually do get an artifact gold ring.  Then, once you are sure that you are getting a gold item at the forge, save scum until it has a suitable name.

Actually, obsidian seems to be the primary rock layer. Black Gate's no problem. Bonus: The Spider cave is at the perfect angle to be a part of the "secret path" as soon as I find where the goblin road is.
Pages: [1] 2 3