Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What did I just dig into?  (Read 1438 times)

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What did I just dig into?
« on: February 28, 2010, 12:08:17 pm »

So I was tunneling regularly on a map with only saltwater, and all of a sudden I hit damp stone, I look around and do not see any indication of water, ON ANY LEVEL, so I figure what the hell and dig it out, and now I'm flooding EVERYTHING, and it WONT STOP. :D First of all I have NO idea where the water is coming from, and I have NO idea how to end it except for gating in the tunnel that caused the accident.

jdf318

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What did I just dig into?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 12:10:07 pm »

my guess would be an aquafier

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 12:10:47 pm »

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 12:13:13 pm »

Ah, great. Unlimited water. Good thing I started in a human town. DROWN!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 12:55:37 pm by Dragula »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 12:56:41 pm »

The game should have warned you beforehand that you were embarking on a site with an aquifer.  Definitely read up on the wiki article on aquifers if you want to continue, you're going to have to find a way to circumvent the aquifer if you want to keep playing.

Of course, aquifers basically only block access to a couple floors of the map, which usually aren't even useful floors, either, since they are often sand or soil in a map where you already have soil.  Once you actually get around the aquifer somehow, it's pretty much a normal map, except that you will have infinite water supplies for your lower levels, if you can find a way to use them without killing yourself, and that you will have only limited access points between the surface and the lower floors.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 01:30:08 pm »

Yes, I'm currently pumping the aquifier into the human town and through the buildings in order to ensure drainage to the levels where the rocks are.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 01:44:28 pm »

Well, if you are trying to "pump the aquifer dry", then keep in mind that the aquifer has an infinite source of water.  It is also, however, an infinite sink as well as a fountain.  You can make water dissapear by draining it back into the aquifer.

Apparently, aquifers, like underground rivers, are actually connected to the elemental plane of water, and as such, can exude and absorb an infinite capacity of water.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 01:46:46 pm »

You might struck an underground river that didn't tell you it was there and it has now started a massive flood.

I got this too.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 01:52:57 pm »

Well, if you are trying to "pump the aquifer dry", then keep in mind that the aquifer has an infinite source of water.  It is also, however, an infinite sink as well as a fountain.  You can make water dissapear by draining it back into the aquifer.

Apparently, aquifers, like underground rivers, are actually connected to the elemental plane of water, and as such, can exude and absorb an infinite capacity of water.
Pumping the water out to the ocean, which results in at least temporary dryness so I can access the rocks.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 02:21:17 pm »

Pumping the water out to the ocean, which results in at least temporary dryness so I can access the rocks.

That works, too, since the ocean performs the same function as both a fountain and a sink.  However, you can probably make a shorter path by simply making the water flow right back into the aquifer on the other side of the pump.

That article on the wiki also talks about how to cause cave-ins for a more permanent solution to your aquifer problems, if you don't want to just set up a permanent pump station that must be rigged to work at all times.  If you do go for the permanent pump solution, you might want to create an emergency contengency well and pump stack directly below the aquifer breach that will divert water to the pump stack, which will pump leaked water straight into the ocean.

I love my contengency systems.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 02:41:29 pm »

Pumping aquifer into ocean is nice, just avoid doing the opposite, if you care about your fps.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 04:24:00 am »

However, you can probably make a shorter path by simply making the water flow right back into the aquifer on the other side of the pump.

Even better:
get a ring of pumps set up getting the aquifer level dry.
Around the outside of this dry ring, dig channels. The walls will leak into the channels... and your space in the middle of the ring will stay dry (you can now disassemble your pumps).
If this goes more than a couple of layers, you will have a waterfall surrounding a pillar of stairs. Noice!

Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

GL12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 06:06:35 am »

Pumping aquifer into ocean is nice, just avoid doing the opposite, if you care about your fps.

As long as you don't try to drain the ocean this isn't always bad. I got some waterwheels set up using the ocean and an adjacent aquifer once.