Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Pimp My Fort - Decorative Furniture, Entertainment, and Dwarven Quality of Life  (Read 12538 times)

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile

I think there are several items that can be discussed to further refine the "games" idea.

Should they be player controlled, dwarf controlled or both?
Examples could be large organized games might be player controlled (do you build a soccer arena, set it as active etc.) or dwarves on break might decide to gamble and "roll some bones" in an impromtu game in a statue garden.

Should they be beneficial or detrimental?
Benefits would be morale & unity at the cost of productivity. Perhaps this might be a way to celebrate a hard won victory. Your troops are all tired and worn out, half the fort is dead, crushed beneath elven war elephant feet. The fort is on the verge of a tantrum spiral. how do you solve it? DWARFYMPIC GAMES! For an entire season the dwarves put down their rocks and hammers and kick around skulls and cheer on wrestling matches!
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

Ah, I missed a response, so sorry for not noticing your post until now, Praguepride.

In regards to what you've said, I don't think you can really player-control these sorts of games in terms of advancing one competitor or team (although I would expect some players to meddle just because they can), but if what you mean is that they can announce some form of game (a sort of player-caused party), then that would make some sense.

(Although if we have a "retire a fort" option so that we can leave a fort fully functioning instead of abandoned, and we can come back as an adventurer, and then play in the games as well, that would be something special, indeed.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous

Honestly you name it pimp my fort, and know one makes a xzibit meme reference?

Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile

my life has been enriched by music, I'd want my dwarves' lives to be as well.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile

Here's an idea

-Dwarfs daydream. They just go to a random place and daydream, or go with a friend and talk.
Not a meeting zone. With this, you can actually get loiterers. Along with people who hang above ground. Basically, it makes the less social dwarfs get something to do rather than talk with other dwarfs.

-Dwarfs play with their pets, or at least interact with them a little more often. Pets should be fed, played with, etc. Feeding shouldn't take any food, played would be similar to sparring I guess, but with no fighting. Just replace purple with green or blue.

-Dwarfs would explore. Just go places for no real reason, and leave promptly. The more curious ones could help alert you of sieges.
Meowth! That's right!
Pages: 1 2 [3]