Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Don't Go Near the Water!!  (Read 2694 times)

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Go Near the Water!!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 01:12:09 am »

I once embarked on a region with carp and harpies. The water was red six months out of twelve from the epic duels between the creatures.
Dwarf blood, harpy blood, or carp blood?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 02:21:00 am »

I once embarked on a region with carp and harpies. The water was red six months out of twelve from the epic duels between the creatures.

That sounds pretty epic...  When I saw that thread about making whatever terrain features you wanted on a map, I immediately thought of having terrifying mountains, joyous wild forests, a river, magma pipe, chasm, and a good ocean all in one embark, so that I could have harpies, dark gnomes, zombies, unicorns, satyrs, large fish, fire imps, GCS, and mermaids all on one map, and dive for cover as they all engage in apocalyptic warfare.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 05:11:43 am »

I recall a video of the embark in a volcano. It's the current record holder :P
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 09:16:38 am »

I recall a video of the embark in a volcano. It's the current record holder :P
Not an ordinary volcano. It is a rare bug that makes a bottomless pit spawn on the same tiles as a volcano, probably making hte game go nuts.
Maybe the bottomless pit drains all the lava, and makes the volcano think "OMG THERE IS NO LAVA ADD MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MOOOOOAAAAAAR!"
Thus submerging the map in lava.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 02:55:57 pm »

Yes?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 02:58:46 pm »

Yes?
So it's a blood cocktail?

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 03:05:37 pm »

A Bloody Mary, to be exact.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 03:12:23 pm »

A Bloody Mary, to be exact.
Armok's choice of drink.

(Please drink responsibly.)

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 05:19:05 pm »

Things seem slightly less agressive for the first season or two.  On river maps priority 1 is to get a wall between us and them.  Also, turn the activity zone orders to zone only drinking.  Sometimes bored college dorfs like to experiment with water because of the way it makes them giggle and stumble around all dizzy like.  The fish trick them into jumping into the water and they overdose and die, or get eaten alive. 

So the fish act like sirens from myth.....Nice! Just hope the dwarfs are not trying to have sex with them

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 05:33:02 pm »

Things seem slightly less agressive for the first season or two.  On river maps priority 1 is to get a wall between us and them.  Also, turn the activity zone orders to zone only drinking.  Sometimes bored college dorfs like to experiment with water because of the way it makes them giggle and stumble around all dizzy like.  The fish trick them into jumping into the water and they overdose and die, or get eaten alive. 

So the fish act like sirens from myth.....Nice! Just hope the dwarfs are not trying to have sex with them
Actually, it's not that scary. The thing is: Dwarf gets near water, fish sees dwarf, fish tries to attack dwarf (don't ask me how a fish could attack a dwarf who's on land), dwarf dodges. Dodging, however, is random and the dwarf often falls in the water as a result. Most dwarves can't swim, start to drown and are completely helpless. The fish, however, is not.

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2010, 06:38:02 pm »

I just had an embark where the only murky pool with carp was 2 tiles from my wagon.  As soon as I unpaused the game, my leader/hunter dwarf was dragged to his death.  I didn't realize what had happened till the pond filled with blood.  I drafted the rest of my dwarves, and sent them to attack the watery menace.  They all died in the attempt.

Embark to Fun: 2 seconds.  New record.
Not quite a record, in an older version of DF if you embarked on a map with a chasm, instantly a magma pool would generate above it and fall spattering accross the map, killing everything on the site. i saw this kill a fortress in 0.7seconds. (probably the fastest destroyed for ever that didnt involve modding cats to go nuclear.)
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2010, 09:10:58 pm »

There is a rare bug that causes you to embark ON TOP of a volcano. Epic death. Maybe even faster than .7 seconds.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

PhilbertFlange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 10:21:39 pm »

Now I keep thinking of the word "carpies," which makes me think of flying carp... which makes me shudder.
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

When Dwarf Fortress gives you lemons, you mod them to have [DAMBLOCK:80][FLIER][FIREBREATH].

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 10:34:13 pm »

Now I keep thinking of the word "carpies," which makes me think of flying carp... which makes me shudder.

And you know they wouldn't stop dragging dwarves into water. They'd just end up dropping the poor dorfs into a river from 17+ z-levels up, creating nutritious and delicious dorf-bits for all their non-flying brethren. Dorf-Bits! Part of your balanced breakfast!
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Level_8_Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 01:45:28 am »

Someone needs to get onto modding in some carpies.
Pages: 1 [2] 3