Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Square tiles?  (Read 1357 times)

Kikkoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Square tiles?
« on: August 30, 2006, 12:51:00 pm »

I don't know about the possibility of this, but since (in my understanding) the characters are not displayed directly from DOS, but rather through some OpenGL platform, could it be possible to make them square? That way the fortress would look less stretched out vertically.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Square tiles?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 12:56:00 pm »

It's possible to make it square right now, you have control over the window resolution in the init file.  The only problem is that all the tiles get squished and look kind of odd, so to fix that there'd need to be a new ASCII set that's square.  And then the game window is very horizontal and odd-feeling IMO.

But yeah, you can do it right now.

imsabbel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 01:45:00 pm »

I think the tiles look ok. Better than in fullscreen, in fact.

If you look at the tiles.bmp file, you will notice that the native tiles are rather square. The game just squishes them narrow normally.

But you mention an important thing: the windows is oddly wide because the aspect ratio is totally screwed up currently.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 03:34:00 pm »

I don't have any distortion at all.  The default 640x300 window is a standard curses view, with the 8x12 tiles arranged in a 80x25 grid.  All the numbers work out.  If you change to another font file without changing the window size they become distorted, and you have to compensate.  I think the fullscreen mode is matched as well, which would mean 10x24 tiles, though I don't have the file here to check.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 03:48:00 pm »

The distortion I was talking about was for those who want their tiles perfectly square.  If you set your window to 640x200, for example.

EDIT: That's probably a bad example.  Exactly square but also unplayable.  Probably the best solution would be to set the window to 800x300 since the 600 doubles the tile height...there's no distortion at that resolution and it's almost exactly square.

[ August 30, 2006: Message edited by: UncleSporky ]

imsabbel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 04:20:00 pm »

1200x450 is pretty nice with the 800x600 tileset.

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 07:10:00 pm »

Why would square tiles be unplayable? I'm playing right now in 1280x400px windowed mode and created an own 256x256px tileset to match, and it works just fine. I wouldn't have it any other way, in fact.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 07:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Akjosch:
<STRONG>Why would square tiles be unplayable? I'm playing right now in 1280x400px windowed mode and created an own 256x256px tileset to match, and it works just fine. I wouldn't have it any other way, in fact.</STRONG>

Did you actually try what I said?  In that resolution the tiles are exactly square but also crushed and hard to make out.

Basically, if you force the resolution into square tiles (80xwidth by 25xheight) it'll be distorted unless that resolution is a multiple of the ASCII's height and width.  The 800x600 set are all 10x12, so multiples of that will look fine.

It should be obvious but it's difficult to put into words.

Frug

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 09:26:00 pm »

I've done a square tile font, for 640x200 resolution. It's rather small, so I'll do a larger one later. Here's a link to it:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=F8BCED4708106444

Only characters I had to mangle were the two bottom-tailed C's, which I replaced with backwards C's.

[ August 30, 2006: Message edited by: Frug ]

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 05:04:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by UncleSporky:
<STRONG>
Did you actually try what I said?  In that resolution the tiles are exactly square but also crushed and hard to make out.

Basically, if you force the resolution into square tiles (80xwidth by 25xheight) it'll be distorted unless that resolution is a multiple of the ASCII's height and width.  The 800x600 set are all 10x12, so multiples of that will look fine.

It should be obvious but it's difficult to put into words.</STRONG>

Well, did you read what I wrote? I created a tileset to match, 16x16px per tile, 256x256px for the whole tileset. No crushing, all very clear.  :)

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 05:56:00 am »

Akjosch,

Would you post that tileset? I tried making something and it came out shitty, but I'd love to play square.

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 06:12:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by qalnor:
Would you post that tileset? I tried making something and it came out shitty, but I'd love to play square.[/QB]

There we go:

:)

Chephren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 07:42:00 am »

Wow, Akjosch, those tiles are a big improvement, really great. thanks

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 09:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Akjosch:
There we go:

Thank you sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 03:31:00 pm »

nevermind

[ August 31, 2006: Message edited by: qalnor ]

Pages: [1] 2