Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

WHICH AWSUM JAPANESE?

Takeda - Military badasses that start off with one landlocked province. Super-Military focused. Bring the fight to the Chinese 400 years ahead of schedule.
- 18 (66.7%)
Kono - NAVAL badasses, less awesome than Takeda
- 3 (11.1%)
Yamana - They start off strong, and in the best region of Japan. Boring, but still.
- 0 (0%)
Ouchi - TRADING DEWDS
- 3 (11.1%)
Uesugi -  People next to Takeda, bigger, easier to play than Takeda.
- 0 (0%)
Ryukyu - Animist Japanese southerners. These guys will be less focus with unifying Japan than destroying Indonesia, though.
- 3 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Let's play Europa Universalis 3: Banzai!  (Read 9381 times)

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's play Europa Universalis 3: Banzai!
« on: February 27, 2010, 10:25:01 am »

So. Guys. I'm going to make a LP of Europa Universalis. Awesome. Is anyone up for a multiplayer game of it?
----
(EU3 Complete + Magna Mundi Platinum 2)

Europa Universalis

Europa Universalis III (EUIII) is a grand strategy computer game by Paradox Interactive.

Magna Mundi
Quote from: Paradox Forums
Magna Mundi is an effort to lead the game through historical processes while allowing the gameplay to flow freely within the constraints faced historically, thus, and in part contrary to the vanilla experience, creating plausible alternate realities.

We achieve this by coding complex event pools that are not targeted at the most tangible elements in the game, the countries, but instead at the virtual environment the engine generates: Religion, certain geographic regions, certain political entities, all the colonial environment, etc.

Beyond this we turn the game mechanics much deeper to spice it up trying to allow the player to feel a living, breathing world, hidding the raw mechanics that define the game system.
Expect a detailed National Ideas system, Vassalization system, Personal Unions system, Modernization system, Warfare system, Covert Action system, Trade system, etc.

Taking advantage of the latest designs of IN, we use decisions to open new strategies to gameplay, instead of prizes to be achieved after some game mechanic was "beaten", the path taken in vanilla. This means decisions are now really dilemmas the players face. Is it worth it financing a smuggler operation in a neighbour province? Is it worth it to build a great arsenal? Is it worth it to protect your traders? Is it worth it to fund public schools? Is it worth it to take drastic measures against the plague? Is it worth it to build hiring fairs to have bigger chances of getting the dearly needed advisor? Is it worth it to sacrifice part of the civil population and local political strenght to have a chance to recover a rebel province without sending a single men there? Is it worth it cripple a bit the long term economy to recover faster from chaotic stability? Is it worth it to sacrifice centuries of policies in order to eventually modernize? Is it worth it to pay dearly to fund an expedition to the new world? ... the list goes on and on... and on.

Our objective is to give you, the man behind the curtain, the tools to pursue your objecties with miryads of different strategies and immerse you in a new reality.
Your challenge is to take the best decisions and decades, if not centuries later, look back and be proud of the decisons that shaped your nation's destiny.

List of More Proeminent Features (in no particular order):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I only just recently got this game, I snagged EU3 for 4 and a half dollars. Anyway, let's get started:

What the hell should we be?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 02:45:36 pm by PenguinOverlord »
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis 3: Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 10:40:21 am »

4 and half dollars? lucky...

I already have EU3, but after all the threads I am thinking about buying all the expansions.. unluckily local stores don't sell them so I'll have to buy a complete pack from steam, which still doesn't include Heir to the throne.

I vote for holland, lets dominate the world through money. Also, I believe we should colonize as much as we can. Trade and colonies in the new world, while our brave soldiers keep the big powers at bay in europe.
(in vanilla I managed to hold an healthy France for 10 years just by mercenaries, killed their king in battle and ended with white peace. Holland may seem smll and weak, but once you have money it can be wooonderful! but I saw this as an player who likes money more than swords in most games)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 10:53:45 am »

I read through MM's manual and they have special mechanics for the Japanese Civil War that wasn't in vanilla.

Why not play as the Songun? Or even better, one of his lackeys?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 04:27:25 pm »

I agree with the Dutch, though I say go with Brabant, or perhaps Gelre if you prefer them.

(Note that I'm only familiar with vanilla EU3, not MM, so said countries are probably different than how I know them...)
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 06:40:47 pm »

Holland starts under the control of Burgundy in 1453, when we're going to start the game.
Edit: Tested out how Burgundy played. I declared war with the obscure little Liege, and suddenly the Holy Roman Emperor (Austria) swoops in and utterly crushes me. Losing is fun.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 06:42:59 pm by PenguinOverlord »

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 08:01:32 pm »

I suggest either Gelre or, for a true challenge, Utrecht. Of course, uniting Ireland is always fun.

I always play as one of the german states myself. It's a damn challenge (to me) uniting germany as a opm. Mainly because of the HRE.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 05:07:54 pm »

By the way Magna Mundi for Heir to the Throne is coming out March 1st.
!!&!!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 09:19:29 pm »

Yeah, but he has only EU3 Complete. That doesn't have HttT.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 01:59:08 pm »

My point being that there's no reason for him to hold back on acquiring HTTT as of today.
!!&!!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 12:03:24 am »

There are very terrible features in HTTT, such as heirs dying on a whim, stupid casus bellums like Imperialism, Personal Unions easily fabriciated thanks to awesome spies, dynasties running around like musical chairs, etc.

But you know what? I always want to see the Japanese civil war, and by golly, I'm going to see it. I'm going to get EU3 Complete and MM, and let me experience Japan.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 02:57:30 am »

I think that's enough... I'm getting EU3 + HTTT today... Damn you :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 06:52:02 pm »

After many, many tries, I find that playing Gelre or Friesland in the normal Magna Mundi start is nigh-impossible due to the sheer military splendor of Austria. Damn you Austria. Now I'm going to have to start in 1399, where the Holy Roman Emporer is as far away from me as possible. I also managed to play this in a 1399 game, playing a few years and becoming a trading empire. I forgot to turn on Fraps.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 08:52:17 pm »

D'oh.

Anyways, generally you aren't supposed to play at 1399. And does Austria conquer you every time while you still are an OPM? If so, it might be a good idea to conquer friesland as gelre (try to fabricate some claims or do something just really damn crazy, along with the help of your allies.)

It also helps to keep up friendly relations with England, France, and Bohemia.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 06:01:54 pm »

Woss' wrong with a 1399 start, exactly? As in, what bugs, etc.?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 01:19:18 pm »

After many, many tries, I find that playing Gelre or Friesland in the normal Magna Mundi start is nigh-impossible due to the sheer military splendor of Austria. Damn you Austria. Now I'm going to have to start in 1399, where the Holy Roman Emporer is as far away from me as possible. I also managed to play this in a 1399 game, playing a few years and becoming a trading empire. I forgot to turn on Fraps.

Turning lucky nations off or to random might help. It certanly helped me when playing Brabant. Friggin Burgundy normaly grabs the richest of my three core provinces within 10 years, but when I turned lucky nations to random, Burgundy got hammerd hard by france, which let me grab their COT instead...
Pages: [1] 2 3